GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be no conclusive answer, having read a few threads with people using all sorts from normal gearbox oil to ATF III, D matic and redline.

Just making sure I get the right oil, the general consensus seems to be ATF fluid. As for which ATF, do I go for Dextron III based? Would any make do? or are some better for the Getrag than others?

Also what about the TXB, use the same Dextron III?

What are the capacities that I need?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
RB recommended castrol DIII.

been using it ever since.

But l think any good ATF fluid should be okay.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And can the same fluid be used in the transfer box?

How many litres do you need for the gearbox and the transfer box?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Oilman on here would be your best bet for advice.

Gearbox oil is generally 75/90, and takes approx 4.5l

Transfer box is a different fluid, dextron 3 gl5 compliant, approx 1.8l.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Here you go, it's late and I know we like an instant answer.

Tim sent the following, when I asked.

use a 5w-40 synthetic in the engine when it's run in.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul 300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Gulf Formula G, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

You need a 75w-90 for the gearbox and diffs.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-mtfs-manual-transmission-fluid.aspx

If you want to go for the best, the Millers CRX 75w-90 NT, Gulf Competition, Motul Gear 300, Red Line MT90 and Millers TRX are ideal for the gearbox. The Castrol Universal, Motul Motylgear and Fuchs Gear Syn are all decent alternatives. The Fuchs Syn 5, Millers CRX, Redline 75w-90 GL5, Motul Gear 300 and Gulf Competition are ideal for the diff. The Fuchs Sintopoid, Castrol Syntrax Longlife, Millers TRX, Motul Motylgear, Mobil SHC and Amsoil FGR are also good choices.

You need an an ATF for the transfer box and due to the gearbox specs I would go for either the Amsoil ATF, Motul Multi ATF, Fuchs ATF4400, Gulf Multi Vehicle ATF, Castrol ATF Multi Vehicle or Millers Millermatic ATF SPIII.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-442-atfs.aspx

Cheers

Tim[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Were talking about an R34 Getrag box here, lots of people have used ATF but some have used other some other types from what I can see most are using ATF for the gearbox and the transfer box.

Was that email in reference to an R34 or an R33/R32?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Sorry it was for a 33.

If you send oilman on here a pm, I'm sure he will point you in the right directions.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like the recommended ones are the Toyota V16o oil and the Esso D 21065. But they are discontinued or very hard to get hold of. Both of these are Dextron II

The Supra lot also have massive discussions about this..

So I am still no closer to finding the right oil that will not damage seals.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Surely Rod bell being chief mechanic with Andy Middlehurst racing Nissans (including the gtr) back in the day, his personal recommendation should count for something:confused:

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So Getrag, Toyota and Nissan are wrong?? Also BMW recommend a Dextron oil for the Getrag box fitted to the E39 M5's

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW Nozza, did your Getrag have a copper crush washer on the oil fill and oil drain plugs? Mine didn't.. but I guess it is needed?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
So Getrag, Toyota and Nissan are wrong?? Also BMW recommend a Dextron oil for the Getrag box fitted to the E39 M5's
I worry that the fact Nissan recommend a 'special' oil and if you use a 'substitute, something might go wrong. I am not doubting your ability here. ATF is usually run in a manual box because it's very thin and gives better efficiency.
I'd be interested to see if there is a manual oil that 'cuts the mustard' so to speak.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am only going by what I am reading. Indeed Nissan and Toyota have their own oil, but when the like of RB Motorsport is saying to use Dextron III surely they must know something about this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts