GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I logged on as I've been busy but hope you are all well.

I had a localish company give me a quote for some work that I wanted to be carried out in the loft (boarding, insulation, hatch and ladder). They seemed reputable and looked to have been around for a while. The guy came down and seemed to know what he was talking about, measured everything up. The total quote to be around over £3k but after some thinking I thought stuff it, I'll do the loft boarding insulation etc myself and just get the guy to enlarge the hatch and install a ladder which was £500.

He messages me a few days later to send a deposit of £150 to his personal account (red flag) so he could get the ladder ordered. Transferred that promptly and arranged a date for installation.

A couple of days before installation I call them up to confirm if its still going ahead. Lo and behold they slipped up and it got out that they hadn't ordered the ladder and said they will do it straight away so it will come next day.

Next day comes, I call up and they say it's still not here and they are using a new delivery company (red flag) and will chase up.

The weekend comes and goes (day that I arranged to have it installed) and tried to call them up. No answer. I have been trying to get in touch with them for the best part of a week now, email, text messages etc but no response.

Today I was working from home so thought I would pop down to their shop on my break but no one was there and it stated by appointment only. I posted a letter through the door stating to get in touch with me.

Alarm bells were already going off but when I put their company number in to the company register I could see that they applied to close the business down - before they quoted me and took my deposit.

Now I feel well mugged off. £150 is not a huge amount of money, and I hate to think how I'd feel if I paid a deposit to get the whole loft done but I feel so angry that people still go around doing this.

What are my options now? Considering that I paid to his personal account (I should've known then that this was dodgy) what can I do? I only know his name and company address which is registered to another name.

Should I just write it off?

:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Yep right it off.
Too much grief sometimes to chase a...oles.

3 years later i***8217;m still fixing stuff that the builders who built our house extension effed up.
£150 is chump change when it comes to houses.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update, I contacted companies house soon after this thread. They required 'official' communication such as a letterhead but obviously I didn't have any as it was via text and calls. All that did was stall the process and I ended up giving them a scathing review on google.

A couple of days ago he decided to get in touch and 'try' to explain that it wasn't his fault and was the partners fault and he was taking over the company but it was all bs. Anyway I agreed to remove the review after he transferred me back the money, which he did.

Pocket change, but still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts