GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a mini-meet last night, and one topic that came up, as one of the guys is seriously considering selling his R34, is....after owning a tuned Skyline GT-R, what next??

Obviously for me, there is no "next". For too many reasons, even if I wanted to move on to another car, I can't. My R32 is the last car I will own (as my personal car, not talking about family rides, secondary cars, etc).

We got as far as "it should be a big N/A car, eliminating the fear of the engine going pop while on boost."

But a lot of cars, while objectively quick, feel rather slow after owning a fast Skyline. We basically figured it would take at least $200,000, and more like $400,000~$500,000, to drive a non-turbocharged car that would thrill as much as a Skyline - to be a car that handles and accelerates equally well.

Anyways, I'm curious to know - of people here that have built Skylines, then threw in the towel and moved on....what did you get? What do you miss? What DON'T you miss? :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
After r32, r33 & r34 GTS-t/GTT i moved on to an rx-7 a missed any kind of reliability lol, just ordered another skyline R32 GTR

if i ever did move away again it would be big power yank, corvette or similar

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
TBH I think you are giving the skyline too much credit. There are many many cars out there now that have the performance and handling and you don't need to spend anything like the level of money you are talking about.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I owned an R33 GTR, almost stock. But found it sluggish and not furious enough compared to a previous owned RX7 FD (stock). Bought an FD afterwards again, as it is much more nimble and found it quicker on top as well.

Recently sold the FD and have now purchased a supra to build up from the ground.

In my opinion the Skyline is a super car to drive, and with some mods it is seriously quick (also due to its 4WD system). The main problem (i will face this with the supra as well) is that it has too much weight. Too make up for that you need more power. In the back of my mind I still want an R34 GTR as the looks and performance are killer, but am afraid that it will not satisfy my needs. I have the same problem with the new R35, but hey can not afford that one so no problems there.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i agree with simonh there are lots of cars that easily keep up with if not surpass the skyline these days what about the merc c63 awesome car and only about 60 grand

·
Super Moderator
16,092 Posts
Got to be a Porker, probably will be for me. Doesn't he like the R35?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a lot of Skylines...when guys decide to do the turbos, one usually chooses 2530s or bigger, versus N1s. So a built GT-R often runs more than 600bhp. And although it's somewhat worrying that every year brings factory cars that can serious challenge tuned Skylines.

You're right about weight - my mechanic switched to an FD after mucking about with turbocharged M3s he built at home, and feels he has found the perfect car. He figures he only needs 400bhp to have a terrifically fast car.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Assuming that your friend wants something at the performance end of things and is less interested in creature comforts then there's a whole world of cars out there.

Noble M400 leaps to mind. If that has too many turbos for you then why not look at something like the Ultima? I've had a gander round a few of them and they are lovely bits of kit. Power output is pretty much up to you and they are pretty rare on the road.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
What do you replace a highly tuned and personally set up GT-R with?

Nothing. Don't even try.

I am tootling about in an eleven year old 4x4. A complete change.

and when I have money again, I'll only come back to Skyline GT-R ownership when I can afford to run a second car.

But for a replacement that for me, fits the bill, I'd seriously consider a Porsche Cayenne. All the grunt, plus the versatility (simplest example... ground clearance).

But I'm guessing mine is (as usual) a minority opinion.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
had a mini-meet last night, and one topic that came up, as one of the guys is seriously considering selling his R34, is....after owning a tuned Skyline GT-R, what next??

A helicopter. Small nimble low flying kind, bit like a superbike but twice as fast.

Although maybe in Korea an AH64 might be more appropriate!

DaveG

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am selling my R32GTR and my next car is going to be a FD3S, which is similar money to the GTR. It will be lighter and quicker. Well hopefully.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Having been a Skyline owner for over 8 years I often give this some thought and sometimes browse Pistonheads or Autotrader for inspiration.
Have come up with some possibles in my price range:- TVR (reliability?), Monaro/VXR8 (boring to look at), M3 E46, Esprit V8, Evo, even looked at MG ZT 260...but thought better of it!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There are lots of cars that are better than skylines in performance and EASILY with handling.

As SimonH said you give the skyline to much credit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
a supra is for less money faster than a skyline, because the engine is stronger but only straight on..remember, the R33 GT-R was the first production car which gone under 8min on the Nurburgring.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In my opinion there is nowhere to go once you've owned a nicely tuned *****.

I don't think I know a car that gives that much gpg...... (grins per gallon) whilst also having a big boot, actual passenger space and looks!

Even supercars only really give you 2 of the above.
Bikes 2 of the above...... 1 for me as i don't like the look!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I own a r33 gtr with around 450 bhp very easy to get out of a rb26 i cant think of another car i could replace for the the same money that handles and accelerates as well i do like rx7 but cant fit in one it would be a m5 i think. m5s seem to be very good value for money .I really like tvrs but the reliability worries me cheers matt

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
There are lots of cars that are better than skylines in performance and EASILY with handling.

As SimonH said you give the skyline to much credit.
Piffle :rolleyes:very few cars can match the GTR
All this talk of RX7s wait until they see how thirsty and un reliable they are.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts