GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya All,

I've recently bought myself a Go Pro. Most track days don't allow suction mounts for cameras. they ask for 'mechanical' fixings inside the car.

Just wondered what people use, or how you do it ? I don't want to screw into the dash.

Is there a contraption that will go between the headrests or similar ??

Some form of boom maybe ?

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
What about just using the sticky foot and putting it on the inside of the rar screen facing forwards?
If you narrow the angle of view it'll cut out a fair amount of the seats.

The alternative for recording from mid-car is to make a bar up.

I'm guessing you want to get the driver in, so won't suggest just putting it on the inside of the windscreen or on the front numberplate for low down speed action.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys..

Looking to get driver in the shot too.

Its for my 33 GTR, not TA Car :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've been doing something similar recently with my GoPro H3+, and to be honest I did manage to find the perfect viewing angle i.e. between the front seats so you see both driver / passenger (speedo from a distance) and of course the view directly in front (the idea came from the first video below).

To get the ideal drop from the car roof I used a gopole extension arm, which was clip mounted to a 3M sticky base mount on the roof, then another mini extension pivot arm to angle the camera (up, down, left and right). In theory it was great, and achieved the viewing angle you see. In practice however it suffered terribly with lack of side support and basically just wobbled side to side excessively, causing the camera to shake. If you check out the video below, you'll see the viewing angle it can achieve (if you have a Hero 3+ with Superview setting, the angle is very wide - so you'll also see what is outside of your door windows), but essentially from 1min 15secs onwards in the video, you'll see how they achieved the mounting position. Now as above, I tried to cheat to get this position by purchasing a go pole, which is about the same length as all of the extension arms you see in the video - however not without the consequences I suffered. As such, I'm now going to get 3-4 additional standard mini extension arms as in the video, in order to reciprocate the same viewing angle. Also (if you are unaware) there is a setting to have the camera mounted upside down and basically have it flip the video during recording, to allow you to extend the camera view a little extra lower.

Shame its not got a roll bar as the Roll Bar mount I purchased, I cannot fault (with drifting) it ensures a vibration free image.

Anyhow video below:
Uncut In-Car GoPros - Formula Drift Texas - Daijiro Yoshihara vs. Kenneth Moen - Top 32 Battle - YouTube

Also to get a POV (point of view shot) use the 3M sticky clip mount + pivot mount they give you and attach it to the side of your helmet, works well - and as I'm sure you've found already they're lightweight cameras!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_5J-OdT6hk

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use a suction mount on the rear window and when told 'it needs to be secured in case of an accident' I just used the rear seatbelts to loop around it and pluged them into their sockets. It was approved by the bloke who questioned the suction mounting, plus a Caremark isn't going to break a seatbelt!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great ideas, thanks guys...

I like the idea of rear window, with some form of 'security' in case of it falling off..

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
I use a suction mount on the rear window and when told 'it needs to be secured in case of an accident' I just used the rear seatbelts to loop around it and pluged them into their sockets. It was approved by the bloke who questioned the suction mounting, plus a Caremark isn't going to break a seatbelt!
No, no, no, Suction mounting is not allowed at most circuits these days, Mr H&S says so. You can mount a camera with fixed fixings on a Roll cage / bar or such.

Please don't get me wrong here, I have only just bought myself a Go Pro too, but have been advised and told in no uncertain terms that Suction mounts are not allowed.

Hence, half Roll cage and mounted Go Pro on that !!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I think I have come up with an ingenious idea...

Out in the dark with candle light at the moment trying it out... Will report back :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Moff,

With the GoPro cameras you can invert the image in the menu so you can actually hang the camera upside down which can make it easier to mount in some places.

I found in the middle of the roof (R35) there's a plastic bit I think for the alarm sensor you can use to stick to although you might need an extension to get the camera low enough to get the shot you're looking for. In all cases, the more solidly you can mount that camera, the better results you will get.

Suction mounts are usually a no no depending on where you go and what the scrutineers are like. Some people get away with using a tether to prove the camera won't go flying if it comes off its mount.

The newer GoPro cameras support different viewing angles (essentially a digital zoom) so if you find you have too much of the inside of the car in shot then you can dial that in using that function.

If you get too much of the dark inside of your car in shot, the camera will probably try and overexpose everything coming through your windscreen. If this happens, enable spot metering in the menu. This tells the camera to set its exposure according to the middle of the image rather than the entire image.

Unless its uber noisy inside your car, the audio will be better with the vented back door. Better still, if you have a GoPro 3 or GoPro 3+ then you can get a frame mount which means you don't need to use the W/P housing and that gives slightly better image quality.

Here's a video we did on a IAM driving day in my R35. Not using GoPro cameras on this occasion but gives an idea of what that sort of wide angle lens will achieve.

I know GoPro cameras quite well and have been fitting them (and others) to cars for years so I'm more than happy to answer any Q's for anyone here.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Hi tinimark

I have a Q, do you know anywhere substansial to mount the Go Pro outside tha car like in front grill position, then you won't suffer any of the light / dark, heads and helmets getting in the way.

I have both, an R33 and an R35

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Well, I think I have come up with an ingenious idea...

Out in the dark with candle light at the moment trying it out... Will report back :)
Candle, Dark ??? your not near a convent are you ??:)

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Steve, I mounted my Go Pro upside down in the opening under the numberplate of the R35.
You can leave the sticky foot stuck there as nobody can see it when the camera is not connected.

Being close to the ground it also makes the vids look even faster than they normally are. :)

Vid:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not so familiar with the 33 but on the 35 there are two intakes on either side down low on the front bumper. Cameras fit really well in here using the 3M pads. Just remember to let the pad bond for a couple of hours first and also recommend tethering the camera just in case (I use fishing line).

You'll almost certainly want to use the non vented housing to reduce wind noise and protect the lens.

Mounting the camera down low gives a nice sensation of speed.

If you have a GP3 and a frame mount then it will fit perfectly under the standard rear spoiler (no housing) if you want to film other people disappearing behind you!

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Hi Richard

OK I will look at that option tomorrow. Just as long as it doesn't drop off !

·
Registered
341 Posts
Interesting fact about the new GoPro cameras: If you use an SD card that is not up to the recommended write speeds then the camera will reduce the bitrate (lower the quality) to match the card.

A lot of people seem to buy (fake) branded SD cards because they are cheap and don't realise they're missing out! Or they just get the cheapest Class 10 card they can find.

Just because a card is rated "class 10" doesn't mean it will have a fast enough write speed to suit the camera.

Basically, buy your SD cards from a reputable company (eBay and Amazon can be minefields) and stick to the brands recommended by GoPro.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Hi Richard

OK I will look at that option tomorrow. Just as long as it doesn't drop off !
Make sure the bumper is clean.
Get it where you want it, then remove the GoPro and press the pad on firmly.
Leave overnight.

It'll now be bonded on nice and tight.

I used mine on several track days and it never moved, despite hitting silly speeds on the long straights at Silverstone. :)

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Yep, knew all about that and also the Go Pro guys said not to buy the mass storage ones of 64gb, he said only use 32gb or smaller, can't remeber the technical reason why

1 - 20 of 30 Posts