GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to do some work on an oil catch can set up. I will need to make up some oil /breather lines and was thinking of using black braided lines and an type fittings.

I haven't done this before so was wondering if people could provide any advice as to:
- a good supplier for the parts
- any advice or tools needed to make up the lines
- would either - 6 or - 8 be OK? I think the stock system on my car is - 6 (GT-R)
- I will need to drill and tap into a box section/can. Does anyone know the metric thread sizes for - 6 and - 8 connectors?

Thanks
Martin

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Terry will check it out. I am going to look at using the crash beam as the catch can. I haven't found reasons not to and should be fun to do (up until the point I break it)

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's useful tazz thanks. More research clearly needed. I did my apprenticeship many years ago at a high precision metrology company and don't speak imperial lol. I think I might just get the car up and fit my new intercooler and then work out exactly what I need in terms of hose length and adaptors. I will keep it an 6 and if I need to buy imperial taps then so be it. Or I will find a fab company that does aluminium welding nd get them to make those mods whilst opening ut the centre of the beam for increased airflow.

If I buy say 3m of the nylon braided hose, I presume I can cut tube and sheath with a sharp knife and then finish that section with the couplers. Is that right?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The crash beam is quite thin mate but you can but ally bosses to weld in into it if you really want to go that route - you also have the headlight washer pipe running through it, not sure you will be able to seal it to run a closed system

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I need to put Bosses on where I connect that will be fine. I think I will just vent it terry but as big a distance from the inlets as possible.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You want it closed so the turbo inlets pull the crankcase pressure out the engine, otherwise you risk building crankcase pressure and losing power and other issues blowing seals etc - the rocker cover holes are small and won't allow much pressure out without the pull from the turbos

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Personally don***8217;t think much of the Chinese imitations.
Prefer BMRS,Goodridge,Aeroquip etc. from Think Automotive, Merlin etc.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Hi Martin i mostly buy my fittings from these guys - you can get them cheaper by using ebay shipped from china - you have a catch sorted ?

Items in Torques U.K store on eBay !
Have to say that pretty much ALL my fittings and lines have come from Alex at Torques_uk. Not one bad word to say about them. The service is excellent and he's happy to accept unused returns which was quite important in my case as I had a bit of a nightmare when I was speccing stuff.

Personally don***8217;t think much of the Chinese imitations.
Prefer BMRS,Goodridge,Aeroquip etc. from Think Automotive, Merlin etc.

Got to say Al, I've had the genuine articles e.g Goodridge, Earls etc and the Torques stuff is their equal. Was comparing some Goodridge spares that I have with the Torques stuff not that long ago and noticed NO difference. A mate of mine bought some cheap Chinese stuff last year and we compared them to Goodridge and Toorques. You can easily tell the cheap Chinese tat buit the Torques stuff really does hold it's own. Alex was even gracious enough to send me a whole load of free stickers for the car agter I enquired. Top man!!!....

(sides of bonnet and above rear wheels)

The push-on hose I get from them is all genuine branded Aeroquip anyway so even better.

I would not hesitate to recommend Torques to ANYONE looking at fittings etc..

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts

·
Registered
8,540 Posts

I agree but the prices are crazy when compared to Torques. As discussed, the difference in quality between Aeroquip and Torques is minute whereas the price differential is not.

As always, there are those who will buy nothing but Aeroquip/Earls etc but there are good alternatives...

TT

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You want it closed so the turbo inlets pull the crankcase pressure out the engine, otherwise you risk building crankcase pressure and losing power and other issues blowing seals etc - the rocker cover holes are small and won't allow much pressure out without the pull from the turbos
I was considering leaving the pcv side out to be honest terry and just vent the heads into the beam.

I can't seem to find out a great deal about the exact configuration although I know ets do this and don't sell a breather kit for the gtr.

Part of it is the ridiculous cost of £750+ for a sodding can and some hose but also I also like the idea of the huge capacity and retaining the oem look and no additional weight (not that a can would be much more than a kilo or two).

You've been in that area. Can you see a design that could work?

Or would you just go for an aftermarket catch can and forget Bout the beam? Do you have a catch can?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and I saw some simple mocal cans. 1 litre and 2 litre options. Single inlet and outlet so either one per system or would need to merge the lines but is there any reason that shouldn't work?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Also recommend Think. They custom make lines to your specifications and have a range of hoses and fitting you can choose.

The guy who makes up the custom jobbys is quite anal/OCD so aims only to make them perfect. Have seen him throw away perfectly good lines over miniscule reasons.

But as mentioned it comes at a price.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I was considering leaving the pcv side out to be honest terry and just vent the heads into the beam.

I can't seem to find out a great deal about the exact configuration although I know ets do this and don't sell a breather kit for the gtr.

Part of it is the ridiculous cost of £750+ for a sodding can and some hose but also I also like the idea of the huge capacity and retaining the oem look and no additional weight (not that a can would be much more than a kilo or two).

You've been in that area. Can you see a design that could work?

Or would you just go for an aftermarket catch can and forget Bout the beam? Do you have a catch can?
Hi mate - i only used a catch can on the PCV side due to having quite a bit of oil in the inlet manifold , seems this is normal.I did not do the heads/rockercovers due to there being next to nothing in the intercooler pipes , i see you are changing the intercooler - i would have a look what oil you have in the pipes while doing it and make a decision from there , the stock breather system seems to work at venting the pressure, a thread i read awhile ago a well known tuner put a pressure gauge on the sump to check if pressure was building it stayed at zero - from what i read on built engines they make the rocker cover holes bigger and add vent holes to the breather between the block - quite a bit of work , i strongly recommend keeping the rocker cover vents connected to the turbo inlets its this that keeps the pressure down as the pcv valve gets shut when on boost - Why are you looking into changing things - smoke ?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Terry.

I'm looking at changing due to oil consumption increase over time, smoke and I want to do what I can to ensure minimum oil into the new cooler.

It's also an enabler for if I build the engine. Which I might do soon.

What can are you running terry? I think I will just have a look in the Intercooler and make a call from there.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts