GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
at goodwood yesterday on 1st sprint of year,car ran faultless and continued success from last year by getting into 86,s:clap:

carried good speed into no name but cocked up st Mary's

got 1st in class but missed my normal 2 x r35 competitors:bawling:

car has survived now in for service and ready for euro tour:D

next sprint at goodwood for me (providing we survive tour) 17th may,then 26th may.

paul

goodwood sprint standing start lap 86 91 seconds 19th april 14 - YouTube

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
How much bhp is your car paul? I've been considering the getrag box my self but worried the box won't take the power. How's the r35 brake set up?

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
The problem occurs when you use the box for drag the shock loads are huge. I don't know how much power you will be pushing but I have seen skylines with around 800 odd BHP in Japan using them hard on track and working just fine. As for the brakes we can see from the video they are working really well. Paul are you still on Yellowstuff pads?

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi dan,

I'm running 693hp at around 1.4bar,time for a little more soon:p

Box has been brilliant,been running good for last 2 years,previously I would go through a 5 speed every year,lost a couple with 3rd/4th synchro,and one with total loss of third,and then drive home from nurburgring munching the rest up.:D

R35 brakes are excellent now,fitted auto select big master cylinder,got rid of abs,all good:thumbsup:

Cheers Paul.

How much bhp is your car paul? I've been considering the getrag box my self but worried the box won't take the power. How's the r35 brake set up?

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm aiming for 700 + but it obviously depends how the car feels, I've not driven many skylines. What turbo/turbos you running?
Currently running garrett gt4094 with 1.06 housing I believe:nervous:

Keep asking my tuner to turn the wick up a bit,each time it goes in,but he normally hasn't time:bawling:,she's back in next week to get ready for euro tour.

Car has been more or less faultless last 2 years or so,since going single turbo,and at 1.4bar,I know I'm taking a risk pushing a bit more,but 1.5/1.6 should be ok,need more ooooph:D

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Congrats on your win...Your car is bloody quick Paul and some nice driving too!! :)
Hi younes,

Yes, cars on par with mild tune r35's.

As for the driving,we'll made a few mistakes,could have carried a bit more into 1st corner,next kink went well at around 130 but again could have held a bit more,no name was good but carrying a bit too much put me off line for st Mary's and I went down to 3rd,should have stayed in 4th.

And again went down to 3rd for lavant,but should have stayed in 4th,short shifting to 5th coming out worked well,otherwise if hard in 4th you run out of road:D,and rest ok.

But being a sprint you only get one lap at a time,and you need to string it all together,the other lap times on day were 87.12,an 88 something,an 89 something and practice was a 90.9 odd:bawling:

Looking through data,it's just by carrying those few extra mph through each corner,especially fordwater the kink at 130ish and no name at 100ish.

But on cold brakes and tyres,it's difficult to know how much grip your gonna have through 1st corner,with wall pretty close as you come out,

Still on ebc yellows for preserving discs,they took to st Mary's to warm up though,hence a bit out of sync.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I have a gt4094 but with a .95 housing you on a 2.6? Who tunes your car mate? Are you not on forged engine?
Yes dan still on 2.6 forged with a lot of greddy internals,balanced crank,a lot of polishing head work,not sure what cams,but did use pomcams on twins,but they got swapped a long way back.

Have got quaife front diff,standard v-spec rear,all work well.

Running r888's,so drive car to sprints and home again:p

Stripped out interior with roll cage,running mines Ohlins suspension
(And I'm using this on the gtroc euro tour:nervous:)

Richard bell has looked after car for my ownership,last 7 years ,with occasional visits to abbey.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
1.6 bar is nothing for a forged engine mate, when do you see full boost on your set up ? Did you not fancy a quaiffe rear diff to match the front?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Respect Paul!! :clap:

I never realised how fast goodwood was, you're cornering at 130+ mph and hitting nearly 160mph:thumbsup:

Think I'd be getting very scared after the first corner!

What times do the 35's do? Was that your best time so far?

Congratulations on the win and have a blast on the euro tour, I'm sure you will;)

It's weird on that vid as it looks like it accelerates quicker than it stops! Bloody hell it's quick!

I reckon you'll do a 50 at brands if you ever get a dry clear lap :clap:

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1.6 bar is nothing for a forged engine mate, when do you see full boost on your set up ? Did you not fancy a quaiffe rear diff to match the front?
seems to pick up well around 4k,dont notice any lag at all on track,helps having 6 speed,always in the right rev range.

may swap rear diff out later,but very happy with the way it is at the moment.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Respect Paul!! :clap:

I never realised how fast goodwood was, you're cornering at 130+ mph and hitting nearly 160mph:thumbsup:

Think I'd be getting very scared after the first corner!

What times do the 35's do? Was that your best time so far?

Congratulations on the win and have a blast on the euro tour, I'm sure you will;)

It's weird on that vid as it looks like it accelerates quicker than it stops! Bloody hell it's quick!

reckon you'll do a 50 at brands if you ever get a dry clear lap :clap:
cheers sam,

we are all close,on the day it seems to be the one who gets into the 86's wins,last year both r35's won one round each (think rich won 2 as i missed one)by getting into 86's and I won next 2 rounds again by getting into 86's,but we used to be all around a few tenths of a second of each other.

just need to get in the right lap.

last year I got a 86.56

just got to have the balls to hold a bit more through 1st corner and a few extra mph through 130+ kink.trouble is theyre is the track drops away after kink,and unsettles the car a bit,not nice at 130/140.

also because the track drops away,as you enter you cant see the exit,so hope your on the right course as your going through,i try to ride the kurb a bit on apex,but doesn't always get theyre:D.

see you soon sam.

paul

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Nice lap Paul.

Gonna try and do a noisy day at Goodwood later this year - will keep you posted if you're around (a bit of tuition!!).

Cheers,

Mark

PS Chaps, been in the car round Brands on bald R888.....no grip, but once it get going, sh*t it's fast!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi mark,

Yes get on down to Goodwood,you will love it in the Gtr:runaway:

Just watch out for noise,loud day is 105db static,which is not normally the problem,it's the drive by which is 101db

Last Saturday out of the 3 noise meters I hit one with 105db and next 106db,they had to stop the spint for 5 minutes to let noise bank settle,as now they run a noise bank system,running a certain amount of noise every half hour.

Then had to put on the exhaust bend,to divert noise to floor.

See you soon
Paul

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers Mikey,

Yours is gonna be like a new car when it's finished,looks a bugger to replace those sub frame bushes though:flame:

Catch you soon,paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts