GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from a private track day at Goodwood. Thought I'd report in on how I faired up against the other marques.

Managed a best of 1.40:18 which was only beaten by the Caterham super Lights (mid 1.20s) and a stripped out Porsche 964 Turbo derivative (1.35:21). Tried throughout the afternoon to better the time but just couldn't manage it. The track and weather were superb so blame the driver.

I think I did the GTR owners proud down there beating a 355, TVR Tuscan and a new M3 to name a few. I will seek further advice from Peter E, Jamie M and Tigger to see where I could have made sometime up.

Over and out.

...Ian :)

·
Banned
349 Posts
Well done

Glad you had fun Ian. I love Goodwood.

My best time there is in the 1.28's.

Its a dangerous track to put a scorcher in as an off means write off time and injury. The secret of Goodwood is: Through ford you should be flat all the way from the double apex after the pit strait, take some grass at the apex at about 150mph, carry 90 plus into the next right hander, at the left hander brake very hard in a strait line and then immediately release the brake and go hard on the power through the left hander allowing the car to drift all the way over to the right hand side of the circuit. At the hair pin you should be braking hard from 120, turn in earlier than the cone suggests and ride the apex curve (the weight of the car compensates for the early turn in) as soon as the apex is cleared full throttle in third racking off to the far left of the circuit. Then flat chat at full boost all the way down the strait. Ignor the first right hander and leave it flat (about 160 in my car) then stand on the ancors and double de-clutch (stops back end from going light as you are braking whilst turning) aimthe car at the apex take lots of kerb and then fuul throttle. Brake into the chicane up to the second apex 80 mph entry, 50 mph exit 3rd gear and then do it all over again!!!:)

Jamie.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Well done Ian, keep the flag flying!

Just out of interest, were the times you quote 'official', i.e. was there timing equipment there? I've never known any timing equipment to be allowed on track days.

I guess it was a 'noisy' day, 105db, how close were you to the limit?

I've not done Goodwood for a couple of years now, car's too noisy, but I did a 1' 36" at stage 1 power. It's a daunting circuit and I certainly wouldn't argue with Jamie's 'circuit guide'!

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers chaps

Jamie thats a lot of b4lls to go flat from the first bend as some of its blind! I was only doing top 125 there! And 130 on the back straight as I was finding a flat spot on the map when changing in to fifth, I found the chicane lost me a second or two as I kept on messing the heal toe up which at one point caused the car to lurch on a second gear attempt very near to the tyres! I think I will have to adapt the pedals to get it right.

Peter no we had a crowd there with stop watches and went by their timing (so not offical I suppose?) As for the noise limit at 5800 RPM I was on the 105 db limit with my HKS Dual Dragger!!!, So any of the big bore HKS Hiper and Blitz NUR owners would have not got on with out Baffle.

I have to agree totally its certainly not a begginers circuit, high speed and not for the faint hearted. I hope to improve on my time on my 3rd visit hopefully early next year. A winters track rest and a front end respray are next on my list.

...Ian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts