GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to change my tyres soon but can't make up my mind even after numerous searches so i thought i'll get the latest opinions i'm stuck on the above two for my gtr33 they need to be good in the wet and also handle a heavy right foot :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
GSD3 - simply the best wet weather tyre you can buy! Very good in the dry but don`t slide as nicely as a Pirreli. Tend to overheat on track as well, but for road use they are superb.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use toyo proxy TS1's on my 32 gtr, grip the nuts, handle well in the wet, and managed to source 4x255/40 17 of them for £350 off the i-net! so looki about

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I changed from GSD3 to Toyo T1-R's, I would not go back to F1's, teh dry grip is very similar, maybe ever so slightly better for the T1's, wet weather grip is miles better with the T1's.

Also the T1's don't tramline anywhere near as much as the F1's and I feel a lot safer driving on the motorway in the wet with T1's, used to aquaplane really dangerously with the F1's on.

I've also heard of quite a few people who have had blowouts for no reason with F1's.

The only thing I will say for the F1's, is they last ages, I done 15,000 miles of quite hard driving before they needed changing, and even then it was only really because the fronts had worn due to camber. The T1's haven't lasted as long, (not entirely sure how long), but I have got more negative camber now so it might not be a fair comparison.

Alex B

·
Registered
48 Posts
i use t1r's as well (245- 45 -17 ) . i found these a good all round tire , even when driving in the rain at some times over a 140 mph .

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The have stoped Making the GSD3 in 265 35 (30) 18
So there are not many around for the GTR.

F1 are just fantastic for a road tyre, I like the wet peformance and the dry, they can over heat if you are heavy in track days, but all round they are great

Nigel

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
ExScoobyT said:
Alex - that is contrary to all tests I`ve seen and my experience off both makes.
Quite possibly, I'd heard loads of great things about the GSD3, and the GSD2, and to be honest I didn't have any complaints when I had them, (other than the aquaplaning, not being able to keep up with a standard Civic Jordan on the motorway was embarassing, and dissapointing!), but then when I changed to the T1's I realised the GSD3's weren't so great, (on my car atleast). I used to quite regularly spin all 4 wheels in the wet with the GSD3's, which seems to happen far less with the T1's.

These are the only 2 makes of tyre I've had on the GTR so can't compare them to anything else.

As I said, the GSD3's are good tyres and I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with them.

Alex B

Edit: I'm using/comparing 255.35.18 in both makes.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all your opinions, i was leaning towards the gsd3's b4, but i think toyos may be the best bet mainly because of their impressive wet weather handling which i've experianced on a previous car, gsd3's i've never used

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Alex j B said:
I've also heard of quite a few people who have had blowouts for no reason with F1's.

Alex B
Hers 1 post about it, I've heard a few others.

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50421

Also a mate had a set of GSD2's on his Vectra and the tread stripped off when he was driving it hard round a roundabout, though he did drive it hard.

Alex B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts