GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After the final consecutive warning from my hosts about continually escalating bandwidth statistics, I've decided to implement Google Ads to help cover costs.

I've had disappointing support lately from traders and tuners alike and it seems nobody is interested in our faintly ludicrous £25.00 per month banner ad scheme.

As a result, you've noticed that I've had to use Google Ads. These are still quite useful in context and we've spent a lot of man hours to ensure that the google ads are relative to the posts, so they are incredibly focused.

My recent site statistics nearly blew me off my chair, they're pretty amazing and our new server is being hammered by this site. We're nearly on 120GB bandwidth per month - it doesn't take a genius to see the impact of this figure. (when I first bought this site, it was doing 3GB per month).

So no choice fellas, I'm hoping you'll make the integration as easy as possible.

Comments welcome, as are instantaneous bans.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I hadnt even noticed them untill I read this post.........

I think its a good idea, Especially if it allows the site to grow even more.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Can totally understand it Cem ... and I have no problem with the Google ad's at all.

As I've said in the past, if ever I can help it with site maintenance, etc - then let me know. I'm sure it won't take me too long to get up to speed.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Cem,

I fully support the decision.

This forum is a massive reference point for owners, tuners and enthusiasts alike. And long may it continue...............................:bowdown1:

I'm sure you will have the support of all the forum users and the greatest respect for securing its future. Time and time again I have to remind people that this forum's privately run by you and out of your own pocket/enthusiasm.

Steve:)

·
6,821 Posts
As there is no other alternative to counter exploding bandwidth, it was the measure to take.

I allready send a PM to Fuggles if my computer has a virus or something, glad that it helps the site.:chuckle: :chuckle: John,sorry for the dump question.:runaway:

What about getting other sponsors on the site? The daily counter should be attractive and the users specification too ( not that all users are under 12 or over 80.):rolleyes:

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
would it be worthwile having a "donate to support the forum" button, so people who benefit from the resources on here, and want to give a little back, can help out in a small way?

mook

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, I need you all to understand that my original post was not a sympathy plea - if that's how it's come across then i apologise, it was not meant to.

If this site is to operate flawlessly, then some modern day business practices need to be applied in a logical and non-disruptive fashion.

Google ads are an economically viable way of introducing income, but are also key to maintaining consistent and contextual banners on the site.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Cem - I knew your post wasn't a sympathy plea - but my offer still stands (as it did previously). If I can help then just let me know.

·
6,821 Posts
Indeed it is very common. It's just that they look like popups and not bling bling like stylish banners.
But that's something we will live with.
Me too I am up for any help ideas.

regards

Chris

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Cem, does posting pictures inside threads, as opposed to inserting a link, increase the bandwith consumed? If it does, perhaps restricting this might help?

As far as the Google ads are concerned, work away fella. They are much less intrusive than the last attempt. You deserve praise for the style in which they have been implemented!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Cem, does posting pictures inside threads, as opposed to inserting a link, increase the bandwith consumed? If it does, perhaps restricting this might help?
adding attachments to posts (where the image is uploaded to the GTROC server) is going to increase bandwidth, but I don't see how linking to images stored on external servers is going to increase bandwidth....

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Something I've spotted since the update Cem.

On emails I'm getting through with links to the threads I've subscribed to, it is no longer taking me to the last un-read post on that thread (as it normally does), it is always taking me to the FIRST post in the thread.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Tbh Cem I don't notice the ads too much, at the end of the day it's your site - you do as you please, people can either take it or leave it.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Guys, I need you all to understand that my original post was not a sympathy plea - if that's how it's come across then i apologise, it was not meant to.
Hi Cem,

I don't think people took it that way. They get something out of using this site and don't mind 'donating' to make sure the site stays running.
I, for one, would make use of a donate button if it was there.

BTW - Daz is right about there being something slightly wrong with the 'first unread post' of subscribed threads.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Where do I add my adsense number to my profile?

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Hmm, at £25 for a banner ad it's no wonder you have to look for other sources of revenue.

Whatever you have to do Cem is fine by me. Without this forum the UK and overseas, Japanese and non-Japanese autuomotive scene would be a lot poorer place

·
Registered
8 Posts
Off Topic

Cem. I have sent an email, pm Admin and still havent recieved a reply about how to become a trader?

Please advise, I dont want a banner, just to be able to trade.

Please PM me, so I can get payment to you,

リック

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I agree. This is one of the BEST site I have come across. It is probably the FASTEST site I use, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this cost MONEY.

I think none of us are really bother by the Google add, and if it will help this site and lighten the burden on the admin, i think it is a win/win choice.

All and all to all the admin, good work. :thumbsup:

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Quite a few people have asked me in the past about being a trader, and i have always put them onto Cem, but i think his security on his e-mail is tight and nothing is getting through.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts