GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Having had the chance to use the GoPro with the GTR on a recent Pistonheads run I have quickly realised one thing! Passed 30 the wind noise is unbearable... So can anyone recommend me a good external mic? I don't want to spend too much on it, but the GoPro is pointless on a car without one IMO

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
You had the open back on it I'm guessing? For external mounting it's much better with the closed back.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You had the open back on it I'm guessing? For external mounting it's much better with the closed back.
I've tried both and I'm not too impressed with either of them tbh, but yeah I thought the open back was supposed to be better... Its not lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yea the sound sucks outside..

I did manage to find a few solutions tho..

Basically you have two options;

1) Get a compatible mic with a long wire which you can put either inside the car or near your exhaust..

2) Get a PolarPro mic.. Here is a guide i found - Make Your GoPro Audio Suck Less

The second option seems to be the most convenient :)

Heres a video test of the PolarPro - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_hFxXx3L7A

Thinking of getting one myself but just havnt had the time..

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PolarPro says don't use above 35mph... that rules that out lol

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I use the Sony ECM-DS70 well one very similar, I use a more expensive version that looks virtually identical.

Although I've also used this one and the difference is barely noticeable.

Bought a 2nd case, drilled hole for Mic and hey-presto basically.

Probably loads on eBay but 99% of them are fakes, best to try buy direct from a legitimate audio or Sony store think they're around £30 - £40.

Still get some wind buffer but here is an example where it's over 35mph

Example again on pops & bangs video of mic

Bit of the black forest go to 1min 55secs I go around 100+ and you get an idea of the wind buffer at those speeds

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Mine looks like that but isn't that model, I've had it for about 4 years. My cable must be at least 5m as I've previously mounted the camera and the bottom of the drivers door facing the wheel and ran the wire into the car, along the window shuts through the boot and by the rear exhausts and had lots of cable left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts