GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just generally hate the thieving fat two-faced [email protected]@rd :(

Just been reading up on proposals to remodel council tax. It's nothing but TRIPLE taxation.

Think:

You work your nuts off, paying income tax on your earnings. For basic rate taxpayer that's 22%.

Then you go to B&Q and buy all the tools, materials and furnishings you need to redecorate. Oh yes - paying 17.5% VAT on top of all that too.

Then you graft your backside off every evening for months on end to redecorate your bedroom / bathroom / garden etc.

And Gordon Brown thinks that it's fair to give his tax inspectors the legal power to demand entry to your home to inspect your bedroom / bathroom / garden and if it's nice because you've done all of the above, they can increase the tax chargeable on your home. Because it nice.

What a f*cking disgrace.

The sooner someone sticks a big f*ck-off bomb under his and Tony Blair's car the better.

And the latest Labour 'spin' - they have to declare large donations made to the party, but wait - if someone makes a large 'loan' (that they never have to repay or make interest payments on) then it doesn't have to be repaid. And ooooh look - the donor- *sorry* "lender" - gets a peerage shortly thereafter. It makes me fume.

And to top it all off...... get this - you've paid income tax on the income, VAT on the materials & tools, council tax on the results - they then take 40% of it as inheritance tax when you die.

QUADRUPLE TAXATION!!!

Yes, there are 'nil rate' bands etc. but let's be honest - they're being artificaially supressed so that the Government can squeeze society's t1t harder and harder until it turns blue.

Assume that you're in the 22% income tax band.

You earn £100. You pay 22% income tax, leaving you with £78. You then buy said renovation materials and pay 17.5% VAT meaning that you actually only get the benefit of 82.5% of your cash - that's 66.4% of your original gross £100. Leaving out the fact that Gordon Brown now wants councils to be able to tax you EVERY YEAR on that improvement...

You then die and (assuming that your inheritance tax nil-rate band has already been spoken for) the Government's Capital Taxes Office then gets 40% of that... meaning that the Government eventually gets 60.2% of your original £100.

If you're a higher rate tax payer then woohoo - party time - they get a whopping 69.4% of that original £100.

I love this country :(

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Spot on Jim
Just had an extension done, poor timing. Instead I should have moved to Wythenshawe burnt my skyline out had a fleet of kids and developed a bad back I'd never pay a penny to the IR. Still Gordons picked a prius instead of a ministrial jag I wonder why that is? Po faced hypocrite.

·
Banned
907 Posts
Well guys I feel the same about Labour but for very different reasons...
My Mum died last year nealy 70y/o, she had been a Labour county counciler for 22 years!
When local goveement went to the 'cabinet system' you could see her health go downhill, yes she died of lung cancer, but she also gave up, she said "I give up" exactly a week before she died.
Politics for people who work for a living are a joke.
I am actualy and for real very very angry about how thing have gone in this country.
Andy.
P.s. we used to be very very poor whan I was young, and I mean very very very poor, because my mothers children (my sister, my brother, and I) have all done ok later in life, we were gifted nothing but good genes, it is all hard graft, and when you see the goverment give everything away to wasters......well I physicaly hate it, I to have had enough, but I am not ready to roll over yet.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
They should be spending their time and efforts working out how to better spend the money they already take, instead of conjuring up new ways to tax us.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
xaero1 said:
They should be spending their time and efforts working out how to better spend the money they already take, instead of conjuring up new ways to tax us.
That the whole point though isint it, WTF are they doing with all they money they are getting ?

Its not like its an insignificant sum, we pay more tax as citizens of this country that many, many other countrys ..... and yet we have a poorer standard of living, our cities are dirty and decrepid and the roads ... ohh dont get me started on the roads :D Am I safer in my home ... no, am I better treated when I am older, no.

Our Income tax and VAT used to pay for Goverment services and NHS, our rates used to pay for local services and amenitys and our NI was ment to look after us when we got old.

Now we are tax seperatly for most of these services, where I paid rates I now council tax and soon to be nice house tax (as a buisness I also pay water and sewage as well as rates).

Where I paid Vat I now pay Vat on not just what I buy but on my savings and when I am old on my pension.

My NI is a joke but to make matters worse if I dare to have a private pension to top up the pitance they are charging me VAT on I lose any right I have to and social help for the elderly.

So simply put WTF are they doing with (as pointed out above) the 60% cut of everything I earn. So if 1 million pounds passes through me in my lifetime the goverment will have had £600,000 of it and done what with it ..

Leaving me with the prospect of dying being abused in an old persons home on a pitance and as a final indignity have the goverment make off with 40% of anything I have left for my family!!!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They spend money thinking up and implementing new ways to get more money....

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Talking of Gordon Brown ,I tell you what annoys me about him ,he goes on GMTV every month and that useless mutton dressed as lamb old dog Fiona Philips interviews him and asks stupid and nicey questions and wont upset him ,then they go on about there kids and how great everything is ,Makes you puke.Dont see old fat boy Brown being interviewd by Paxman much, or the likes of people that would demand an answer from him and put him on the spot :mad:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I strongly believe they should investigate where all the money they are spending in the first place goes. The waste/misappropriation must be huge!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Could you imagine if he was made prime minister......I wouldnt like to think what would happen. The public would revolt and someone would most certainly overthrow the government! I soemtimes think that they are testing us to breaking point and there is not much difference between our gvernment and communist regime. Whatever the goverment decides, go's!! Sooner or later there will be a huge number of people escaping the british system and heading off to other countries.

Gerry

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, salary tax for me is 33% and on top of that we have all the same stuff that is in England, i.e. fuel tax, VAT at 22% for most things so I hear where you're coming from. I agree with you on most things Jim, money is taken from me every month and there's so little idea of where it goes and what it does. In your case, I can see money being wasted trying to implement a national ID system! :) Payments increase, but somehow the wages never seem to follow.

And to make matters worse, when importing a car you get taxed to hell also.

But please keep the BBC, paying license fees are a pain in the ****, but the BBC do make some decent programs and are almost autonomous. You don't want something like Fox news taking over. I at least get Top Gear here :)

As far as if Brown became primeminister and revloution - I don't think it would happen. People are so lazy these days and don't care much about what happens, but there's also the problem of noone in the government caring what the population think. The role of government has changed, they see themselves as all knowing and this is truly a frightening idea. I would like to see the whole population out on the streets, shouting enough is enough, but I seriously think most people are not interested enough to follow what goes on in the world and the news that is watched by millions on TV only shows the shortest of soundbites, never really explaining anything, leaving it up to those who care to really find out what's happening. And sadly, those are in the minority.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Howsie said:
I strongly believe they should investigate where all the money they are spending in the first place goes. The waste/misappropriation must be huge!
I totally agree - but if they did that then half of all the employees in the "public sector" (or whatever the correct term is) will end up either un-employed or in jail.

The government is a joke - sod it - if you can't beat them join them lol

Either that or as said above quit job, have 10+ kids, claim all sorts of benefits and live the life of riley!!!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
ISJ said:
The government is a joke - sod it - if you can't beat them join them lol
QUOTE]

Funny you should say that :) after 16 years running my own garage I am seriously thinking about going to work for the goverment as a social worker :D

S

·
0 Posts
Howsie said:
Wars.
Tax breaks/incentives for rich foreign companies and wealthy individuals.
Pocket lining and low level jollies usually involving places in Florida that are amazingly called thelondonboroughofhammersmithandchelsea.
The Scottish Parliament.
Etc.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
senna said:
The Scottish Parliament.
Etc.
Your right you would have though the oil industry up here would have paid for that alone in Tax .... next you will be taxing our water more so we can pump it down to you :p :D

Actually thats just a bit of fun, the scottish parliment is a freaking joke ... but still not as bad as your "millenium dome" when it comes to a complete waste of money :cool:

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
You all have short memories!!

Do you really think the other lot would be better!! Sorry, but I don't think soooo! You might not have the tax in your face, but the tories are even worse when it comes to stealth tax!

They are all the f**king same, makes no difference.

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
I remember Andy.

I find it a shame that people far greater than I fought for my right to vote and now I am in a situation where "None of the Above" is the only option on the ballot paper.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Andy Hornsby said:
You all have short memories!!

Do you really think the other lot would be better!! Sorry, but I don't think soooo! You might not have the tax in your face, but the tories are even worse when it comes to stealth tax!

They are all the f**king same, makes no difference.
Andy I do remember and I tell you now, I was much better off under the tories ... funny thing was then I wanted to have a labour goverment and voted so.

I remember my granny, working class lady from Oldham, swearing she would never vote labour again after they destroyed this country years ago ... I think I will be saying the same thing to my kids.

Rather be faced with parodies of plasterers shouting "load of money" than seeing it all ****ed against a wall by dole scroungers.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'd be the first to admit that personally I was better off under Maggie, in terms of hard cash in my back account, no question. I had loads of "disposable income" back then.

But it's not just about that, you need to consider a whole lot more. Yes there are lots of issues, but I honestly believe it's not as bad as 12-18 years ago.

I work in the construction industry and I know how many new schools and hospitals have been built in the last 10 years, how many did the Tories build?

Remember guys, she only got back in cos she invaded the Falkan Islands, she was going to out on her ear if that hadn't have happened!!

I can see it both ways, those that have, those that never will and need help. Quite right, there are loads of robbing scum bast**ds, that sit at home doing sweet FA for there handouts, but thats a management issue!!

Don't even get me started on the CSA, (Tory invention by the way.). Which was a good thing, IF THEY DID WHAT WAS FIRST INTENDED. i.e. go after the Fathers had have NEVER paid a penny to-wards there kids, not the genuine guys who had agreements in place and were paying. F**kers!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts