GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 32 had a large bubble on the dash which i see is fairly common, being a tight wad i decided to have a bash at sorting it.
all i did was heat the bubble gently with a heat gun (used for paint stripping) then pushed it in and down with a scrap piece of wood.
heres the result. well chuffed! if it does bubble up again all im going to do is heat it again then inject some super glue behind and clamp over night but im confident enough this has sorted it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
****ing ace dude. Must do this when the car comes out of hibernation in the spring!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are you some sort of ****ing super hero or what???? :bowdown1: :bowdown1: :bowdown1:

I have exactly the same problem in exactly the same place. Haven't even thought of tackling it, as its the sort of thing that will luckily go right, or completely **** up and go horribly wrong!!!

Will now attempt to do the same when time permits......:D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunatly not, wasnt really expecting it to work as it was really hard before i warmed it, but then it went really easy.
just looking at the pic above on my screen, from the left airvent about a pen lid to the right was where the bubble started and from the right airvent about 1 3/4 pen lid to the left was where it finished (all i have to hand is a pen lol) if you look closely you can see small indents where the raggy edge of the wood pressed in a little too much although this will prob be sorted by just heating again slightly and using a 'proper' piece of wood instead of some for the chiminea!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right, just noticed this thread has got to australia where the problem is reoccureing and needs a better solution, over the colder months mine has raised its ugly head again and needs a good and proper sorting out.
going to see to it tommorow ive got a plan lol. will take pics and put up pretty confident it will sort it this time lol.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, pics will follow when i have time, permanent fix requires:
removal of glove box. there you can see the plastic backing of the dashboard. drill a small hole in the middle behind the bubble dont go through the front! and 2 smaller ones at each end of the buble.
use some expanding foam to fill the middle hole and continue until it comes out both lttle holes. clamp and leave overnight.
superglue doesnt work as the foam backing of the dash absorbs it and goes hard, also liquid nails is too thick to spread inside the hole.
caution if you heat it slightly when you put the foam behind as mine started expanding outover until i clamped it lol.
mines all mupy now due to the superglue but its now stuck in place with the foam and if i had done that first i would be more than happy lol.
will get pics up soon.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
"being a tight wad" hahahahahahahaaha ...wouldn't even wave me off on the bus home one evening ;)

glad you got it sorted dude! see yer o'er this wkend :D

ant

1 - 10 of 10 Posts