GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of weeks ago i decided to give the new Cobb custom maps a try to compare it with my old custom tune ( 16 - 19psi via Cobb, EVC 6 controlled ). Gave Ben from GTC a call to hook me up with his latest. We went from a 95 OCT down to a 91 OCT tune to be on the safe side cuz our fuel here sux.

After couple of logs Ben told me ''its safe to go, you have Zero knock''. I was very happy because my old tune had a tiny bit of knock that i didnt know about until GTC dropped down the knock option you can find on your updated Cobb device. The old tune was very aggressive, it was VERY tail happy when boost kicks, even on the straights, it was fun for a while until i got this new tune. The boost is soo steady all the way to redline unlike before where boost drops from 19 to 13-14psi. Now, its stuck at 17.5psi nearly all the way and feels so much faster than before, and i can hear more turbo spool :)

So this morning i headed for CRC National Sprint Event at the Bahrain F1 Circuit ( Inner Track ) to check it out. What i did when i arrived to the track is hook up my Cobb gadget, upload my old tune, set the EVC at 18psi for Practice Race #1, went for 2 normal laps, grace lap, and 1 hard lap ( no overtaking except on straights ), got back, cool down. Results where in.

Practice #2 started after an hour. So within the waiting i uploaded the new rpm GTC base map, turn off the boost controller. Same routine run as before, went back, cool down. 1:24 :), faster by 2 seconds from the first practice run. That is very impressive, and i was happy with the results because i was on my 1 year old daily driven Potenza's that kinda finished along with the brakes on the last practice lap which made it difficult for me to stay for the Time Attack session. Next time i go, my Toyo's will be on when they arrive along with the wide front fenders, full suspension upgrades, and aerodynamics. I am very confident that it will shave more seconds with these upgrades and a soon 103 OCT tune map by GTC that i def cant wait to upload for the Drag/Track event next time i ago.

fyi, temp today was 35C, race started at 10:30AM. Mods, Catless AAM DP, CBRD Res. MidPipe, Tune, Forge Actuators. Sitting on swift springs and 20' G2's. Camber, -2.2 front, -1.8 rear.

I wanna thank GTC for their great work and for the time they spent making this happen for us GTR owners that dont really wanna swap their turbo's yet.

3 ZO6's where in the back, but i was up this ZO6's arse in the straight all the way from second gear ( after corner exit ) till 5th ''knock on wood'' and i wanted to overtake but i couldnt :(. I was told by the owner that he didn't expect that one coming on how my car was catching up with him. His Vette is equipped with headers, suspension, Michillen Cups and a tune.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Amazing! So you are saying there is ZERO point in fitting an electronic boost controller with Ben/Thistle's latest tunes?

HKS are going to be sending hitmen after them! :runaway: :D

Outrunning a header/tuned Z06 on the straight is no mean feat, I can tell ya...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I would love to drive that circuit !

Yup Dave, AccessPORT with custom tune and Y-pipe/exhaust is as effective if not better than a £5k HKS 570 kit, as proven on dyno and on drag strip.
Thistle new boost control means fabulous boost control as good as an electronic boost controller. Also little point in changing aftermarket actuators, fitting labour out weights the benefits, injector duty will limit what can be done. After changing injectors its turbo next to run out of puff. Change Turbo, next up is clutch, lsd, and transmission. Slippery slope. remap + exhaust is best hp vs £$

·
Registered
968 Posts
Agree, worth every penny. Anybody this side of the pond in doubt, give a shout and I will be happy to show the difference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amazing! So you are saying there is ZERO point in fitting an electronic boost controller with Ben/Thistle's latest tunes?

HKS are going to be sending hitmen after them! :runaway: :D

Outrunning a header/tuned Z06 on the straight is no mean feat, I can tell ya...
Yup, there's no point of the EVC anymore. :clap:

I'm tellin yeah, this tune is the isht!!

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Amen to all the above comments brothers!

I'll be getting my GTR dyno'd at the Northwest meet on 28th Nov, so I'll hopefully get some charts done of OEM, Cobb Stage 2, and my custom GTC tune.

Should be interesting!

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Same here! I just need to book myself (and RichGT?) back to Surrey Rolling Road where my first Evo article numbers were done and find out the differences between Stage 2 and the latest WG3 map.

I must say, glancing at the boost gauge it appears to hold 1.1-1.2 bar virtually the whole way up the rev range.

Will adding bigger injectors actually gain more hp Ben or do the stock turbos max out at the same time as the stock injectors?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
When you dyno, make sure you log including the AFR, knock and boost on the Accessport during the run to see that all are representative of what you see on the road. It will also let you see the difference between the car's pre-cat widebands and the rolling road widebands. If for example on the dyno it is pulling timing, not running usual boost and odd fuelling, it will not perform to expectation. The tunes are based around what seems to produce best acceleration on the road/track with safe parameters. A different set of parameters may produce the best result in the simulated environment of a rolling road. A fast/safe road/track tune can look a shambles on a dyno, but we already know it delivers the goods on acceleration times. Interpret carefully.

I'm doing loads of work on the airflow and fuelling calculations at present, it took me three months to do on the Evo, and this is a more complex ECU and I've been working on this area for two weeks, although I have the benefit of practice from the Evo so progress is good. Before this is complete and then tested practically I would tell everyone to hold off injectors, the mapping for them at the moment is a disaster.

It looks like actuators and injectors would get a little more out of the stock turbos, but I wouldn't bother with either without changing the turbos. The stock injectors can just keep up with the stock turbos with 1.0 bar at 7000 RPM in cold weather, but there is no way of running more than this without actuators.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Don't worry Thistle, we're grown up enough to know that rolling road figures are pretty meaningless in isolation.

All I'm interested in is the difference between my earlier Cobb Stage 1 tune versus Stage 2 and your latest WG3 map, done on the same dyno.

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Don't worry Thistle, we're grown up enough to know that rolling road figures are pretty meaningless in isolation.

All I'm interested in is the difference between my earlier Cobb Stage 1 tune versus Stage 2 and your latest WG3 map, done on the same dyno.
Yep, me too.

I'm merely interested in the % change in output, both torque and HP between the 3 maps.

Not very indicative of actual performance I know, but a way of producing a comparative analysis with as few variables as possible.

BTW, many of us owe you big time John. Anytime you're in/near Liverpool, let me know as there's a large beer with your name on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you dyno, make sure you log including the AFR, knock and boost on the Accessport during the run to see that all are representative of what you see on the road. It will also let you see the difference between the car's pre-cat widebands and the rolling road widebands. If for example on the dyno it is pulling timing, not running usual boost and odd fuelling, it will not perform to expectation. The tunes are based around what seems to produce best acceleration on the road/track with safe parameters. A different set of parameters may produce the best result in the simulated environment of a rolling road. A fast/safe road/track tune can look a shambles on a dyno, but we already know it delivers the goods on acceleration times. Interpret carefully.

I'm doing loads of work on the airflow and fuelling calculations at present, it took me three months to do on the Evo, and this is a more complex ECU and I've been working on this area for two weeks, although I have the benefit of practice from the Evo so progress is good. Before this is complete and then tested practically I would tell everyone to hold off injectors, the mapping for them at the moment is a disaster.

It looks like actuators and injectors would get a little more out of the stock turbos, but I wouldn't bother with either without changing the turbos. The stock injectors can just keep up with the stock turbos with 1.0 bar at 7000 RPM in cold weather, but there is no way of running more than this without actuators.

Im taking her on the dyno ( Mainline ) hopefully next week. I'll send the logs.

Was great working with you bruv, all the best :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not that I need to pitch in with comments on the map - given the glowing review in the first post, but I will nevertheless.

I am based in Singapore so my tune has been Ben's e-tune using the Cobb software, with emails back and forth with logs and information.

I had been driving in the city - and thought the car was fast, but last weekend I got the chance to go up to malaysia and see how fast it really was. And it did not disappoint - from 0 to 294kmph (no time measured), it pulled like a ROCKET! Absolutely no let down in power :clap: - not even the tiniest hiccup!!! I chickened out far before the car did so I slowed down, but I have never been happier. I have had the car for over and was initially running the Mines stage 1 and 2 maps before switching over to Cobb canned Stage 2 - before Ben and Thistle worked their magic!

Definitely the best investment I ever made in the car apart from getting the downpipes and midpipe from Ben :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts