GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to power engineering today for a power test. PE could do me on the day i needed, so i will go to a shootout in the future at Tuning Japanese, ok?

heres what she did.....

551bhp @ 7740rpm

PAW 405 bhp

431 lbs/ft torque @1.5bar

i will attach some graphs as soon as i got 'em scanned in ok. the figures that matter on the graph are in pale blue, and dont seem to scan too good. i will post 'em anyway.

i'm very pleased

:)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
DYNO DAY

HI SPUDGUN WAS THAT IN 4WD OR WITH THE FRONT PROP OFF

AS IT WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE TO THE POWER

KEITH

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi keith

it was done on a proper 4wd rolling road at power engineering mate:)

not rear wheel drive, front wheel drive, or warp drive...just a good old 4wd rolling road;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
keith, it was 1.5 bar

guy, no probs mate. its a shame tuning japanese dont do the shootouts on a sunday, its the only day i ever get off. if its a one off, and not a saturday, i can always shut my shop for a day i spose.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Spud,

Great results! I bet your really pleased.

Would you give me a rough overview of the spec of your car please, oh, and also the contact details for power engineering.

Thanks alot

Jamie.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
power engineerings number is 01895 255699

i will post the spec tonight when i get in from work:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Excellent result Spud.

Bear in mind however that PowerEngineering are renowned for giving people very optimisitic power figures. E.g Standard Scooby owners who should be punting out 210bhp have seen a 260bhp reading on PE rollers.

Even with that in mind, it's still a good result :)

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Bit over-optimistic there...

Jesus guys, where you get them figures from? We've used PE for a while now and they have always been very accurate. We even take standard cars with us and the rollers always make factory figures.

Cem

p.s. Nice result Leigh.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
dyno results

yes i agree blow dog dont say this about P/E.

because the spec of spudguns car at 1.5 bar boost
should be at that sort of power anyway.

until you get it to J/P rolling road to see what it does there stick
with the fact your car has that figures.

well done because it costs a few ££££££££ to get to that state of tune

thanks keith

·
Registered
264 Posts
Re: Bit over-optimistic there...

Blow Dog said:
Jesus guys, where you get them figures from?
I thought it was a commonly held belief that PE rollers overstated readings.

Checkout Scoobynet's dyno pages.

Std. UK Scoobies should put out 208 bhp, but showed on PE rollers:

David Stanton: 248 bhp @ 6460 rpm
Stephen Done: 243 bhp @ 6460 rpm
Nick Hill: 239 bhp @ 6210 rpm
Carl Harvey: 239 bhp @ 6210 rpm

These figures are wildly out, for a std. UK car.

Whereas Powerstation had:

Floyd Merrison: 201 bhp @ 6400 rpm

Which is far closer to the mark.

For a direct comparison, Bob Iles car with the same spec ran:

248 bhp @ 5680 rpm 252 lb/ft @ 4020 rpm at PowerStation.
267 bhp @ 6110 rpm 267 lb/ft @ 3720 rpm at PowerEngineering.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Hmm...

That's interesting David. If those figures are correct (and recent) then either PE are (were) over reading or the others were under (I have heard that TJ and PS read quite low).

I remember we took an Audi S3, a Subaru Impreza UK and a BMW 328i (all standard) the same day we ran our cars and they all made exactly factory stock figures.

I would say that temperatures on the day make HUGE differences, but modern rolling roads take into account atmospheric discrepancies.

Cem

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers blowdog;)

seems theres no winning eh? my cars figures are good , so the rollers must be a mile out:rolleyes:
as i said previously, ideally i would like to go to tuning japanese eventually, so it will have been done as the same RR as everyone elses. PE could do it yesterday, so i didnt have to take a day off and lose dosh.

so what youre saying, is that if the rollers read 20% higher at PE, then my car will only make 450 bhp at TJ? thats a hell of a big difference.

ive just tried to attach the jpegs of the graphs, but it wont allow it, so i will find another way...bear with me

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm in agreement with Guy here Spud, no offence was intended and no criticism was aimed at YOUR CAR, but the rolling road.

I've no doubt your car has stunning performance, which after all is the main reason to have it modded.

To claim we're prejudiced against the rolling road BECAUSE you had a good reading is a bit insulting. If you'd asked me before your rolling road day, I'd have told you PE had a reputation for this. There are reams and reams of posts on Scoobynet surrounding the vagaries of PEs RR.

At the end of the day, any rolling road readout isn't usually worth the paper it's written on, and should really only be used as an indication of performance. Heck, I've had some guy squirt water onto my Imprezas intercooler during a rolling road session and suddenly read 15bhp more.. (same car, same rollers, same day)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry you seem to have taken offence to my last post, none was intended;)
HOWEVER.....

it seems 'strange' that suddenly my car is nearly 100bhp less, JUST because it didnt go on the same rollers as some others did, was shall we say, thought provoking.

to me, a rolling road is a rolling road. ive never done one before, if a car scares me, its quick enough, ive never bothered with bits of paper. i wanted to have it power tested because i spent a lot of time , money and effort on the car, and for the sake of fifty quid, it showed she'd made some progress.

still, never mind, cant win 'em all. she's still damn fine looking, and pretty quick..cant be bad.

p.s

just for the record, if i read on here that someone had a good result, i would say well done mate, good on yer. shame really.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Rolling Roads

Hello Spud.

I have been waiting all night for you to put a list of all your mods up for all to see.BLOODY HURRY UP or I'll get that tattoo(?) gun out and use it on you.:D
BTW.I don't think the guys meant any harm or desrepect to you or your MONSTER car.

Geezajob.

Tell us more about this water squirt bussiness on the intercooler.
I might strap a mate on the bonnet with a water pistol or something if I'm going to get an extra 15 BHP when I'm racing.:D

Only joking mate!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Re: Rolling Roads

Spud, for the record, my opening message on hearing your news was "Excellent result Spud. " So don't start saying we're not happy for you ! :)

Paul.GTR34 said:

Tell us more about this water squirt bussiness on the intercooler.
Simply that.. they had a squirty bottle (like you use to spray your household plants with) which they squirted water into the bonnet scoop/intercooler.. was amazing how it affected the results.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just for you paul:D .....

ported and gas flowed head with matched inlet and exhaust manifolds
high lift cams
tomei cam buckets
trust valve springs
greddy steel inlet manifold gaskets
hks steel headgasket
hks 87mm forged pistons
balanced crank and rods
fully prepared and deburred block with radiused and polished oil and waterways
high pressure oil pump
trust sump pan extension
nismo steel turbos
hks turbo elbows
hks front pipe and system
hks intercooler
hks oilcooler
blitz dump valves
550cc injectors
modified ecu

hks twin plate clutch

definately no spray bottles, or garden hoses...but pimp neons, which add, ooh, 100bhp:D

anything else yer wanna know, just giz a shout mate

·
Registered
446 Posts
"tomei cam buckets"

Spudgun,was there a necessity for the fitment of the Tomie cam buckets,or what's the advantage in having them fitted?

When 'whoever' did the port matching, did they report much work was needed?

Am sure I've read somewhere the Skyline manifolds are a poor fit.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts