GTR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GOTO:Racing GT-R Up and Running @ Infineon Raceway

The GOTO:Racing GT-R finally had its first day on track and the performance was nothing short of amazing. At a race weight of about 3650 lbs with fuel and driver, and running a R35 motor with a COBB stage 2 map and open exhaust as its only modification, the car turned a shocking 1:39.5 lap time at Infineon Raceway. “I knew the car was going to be fast,” commented Brian Lock, GOTO:Racing's lead driver, “but I never imagined we would break into the 30's our first day out. When my Dad came over the radio and told me that I was running 1:40 flats in my first session not braking-in the motor, I knew this car would be everything we all hoped it woul be.”

Steve Lock, owner and crew chief for GOTO:Racing commented, “The Nissan GT-R platform just blew us away today. It is a real testament to Nissan's engineering that we achieved the lap times we did today with a mostly stock GT-R and green set-up.”

Seeing the first fully Road Race prepped GT-R roll out onto the track for the first time held a moment of excitement for the entire crew but the day had its bumps. The first session was reserved for basic motor break-in and chassis shake down. A few minor tweaks were made right away. It was clear from the first session that the car needed more spring and bar. With 3600+ lbs sitting down on the suspension and huge sticky Hoosiers slicks created some serious loading. Also, as expected, the ABS system proved to be too smart for its own good and it was quickly discovered as speeds increased that it was not programmed for the grip levels the car is producing. Both Brian and Chris Lock commented that the balance of the car was great, “It just wants to be driven fast,” Chris Lock explained with a smile. The JRZ shocks were doing a great job right out of the box controlling the massive car, only small adjustments were made to stabilize the rear end under acceleration.

GOTO: Racing at the end of the day was happy with the car's performance, but as all good race teams they left the track with a list of modifications to be done to continue to develop the potential seen today. They predict the GT-R to be multiple seconds faster in a matter of weeks. The first concern on the table is the cars' weight and should drop by about 200 lbs. A custom tune from Forged Performance should increase power output significantly. The aero package is currently very simple and plans for more front and rear downforce are in the works.

The next scheduled test is August 21-23 at Thunderhill Raceway with NASA. The car will be running in its first wheel to wheel race in the Super Unlimited class. Longevity testing will be the focus of the next test day. We know the car has the speed to take overall at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill, but GOTO:Racing's engineers need to make it last.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With 3600+ lbs sitting down on the suspension and huge sticky Hoosiers slicks created some serious loading. Also, as expected, the ABS system proved to be too smart for its own good and it was quickly discovered as speeds increased that it was not programmed for the grip levels the car is producing.
My guess is that those 18" or 19" Hoosiers are irritating ATTESSA and the ABS balance a LOT! YES, Godzilla is indeed 'smart', right out of the box!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts