GTR Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
Infiniti's Project Black (if it ever happens) is reportedly going to be Electrified by some way or another.
Guess who left the UK and Europe earlier this year 馃槶

Registered
I think the cars were a great loss to us but the dealerships I went in were APPALLING. For Europe inc UK it was very badly managed, brand promotion was under resourced, and geographic coverage tried to cherry pick locales without realistic knowledge. A great example of how not to launch a prestige brand...

Registered
My missus worked for them so, I have to agree with a lot of what you say there. When they closed the Hull branch, Leeds had to take over the servicing etc.
I have to admit though that the 1st 3.5h I drove was quite a surprise though and it has been a dirty attraction ever since.

Vendor
They can鈥檛 supply electric to my work for the arc furnaces at a reasonable price, There鈥檚 often times throughout the year where it鈥檚 cheaper to sit in the canteen doing nothing than be ripped off by over priced electricity companies.

Registered
There's an interesting excerpt in this article:
"When complete, Wood Mackenzie expects Tesla to have a production capacity of 1.5 million cars per year....

To match its production capability, Tesla will need 26% of forecasted global battery production by 2028"

So assuming Tesla does take 26% of forecasted global battery production by 2028 to make 1.5 million cars a year, that would mean total global battery production could make perhaps 10 million cars per year (assuming some smaller batteries than Tesla, Leaf etc)

Global car production is 65 million units per year and we need batteries for more than just cars.

That makes 2030 seem very optimistic for a ban on ICE.

You can already see what it will be watered down to, hybrids with small batteries, and a government that shifts legislation to make even a few miles range on battery compliant so they can save face but really it'll just be an exercise in box ticking.

Electric motors will prevail, far from clear how we power them at this stage and when we will be able to get there.

Registered
The future is hydrogen power. I still dont understand why manufacturers are intent on electric, there must be a hidden reason. Hydrogen engines with zero emissions and hydrogen sourced from the atmosphere overnight with cheap electric. What can be better. Little infrastructure though now but you can say that about ev charging points. I have bought a load of penny shares in hydrogen fuel cell technology, its the future, little/no polution the way forward
Totally agree, electric just a pipe dream, Hydrogen is the way forward IMO.

Registered
You could still have hydrogen charging the batteries and electric transmission. Thats why I think Nissan is being clever with their e-powertrain.

Premium Member
Just realised what Simon H was referring to "star in a jar". I opened a bottle of Bud, star in a jar when poured!! Give me more,

Premium Member
Saw that last week. They do not say how its produced, probably with more pollution than producing normal fuel and obviously expensive however costs will fall with production increases . Look at what CAT, John Deere and some train manufacturers etc are looking at and its Hydrogen fuel cells

Registered
They do not say how its produced, probably with more pollution than producing normal fuel
Guess you've never worked in upstream oil & gas?
In terms of carbon footprint and marine pollution; production is horrific, then there's the transport of crude, then fractional distillation, then transport of the refined product.

Surely can't be any worse. . . .

Premium Member
I am aware of the production process although not working in the industry. I did say probably more polluting. Does anybody know how synthetic fuel is produced and if it could be upscaled to cope with a large demand?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts