GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It isn't really Skyline related... more Celica related, but should be similar. :)

Anyway, recently I have developed a strange noise on my Celica. It is like a rattling noise/grating noise only when accelorating.

It doesn't do it when revving the engine when stationary, and it doesn't do it when you are slowing down... but only does it when accelorating.

At first I thought it could be the exhaust heat shield... and took the lower part off which was hanging down. It is still doing it though... but I found the upper part of the front pipe heat shield was still loose but I haven't took it off yet.

The noise only seems to get worse the longer the car is drove... so I'm thinking the hotter the exhaust gets.... it's expanding and touching the heat shield more.

What would be peoples thoughts? It shouldn't be anything too serious should it... as I'm hoping it's nothing to do with the cams of crank etc? Somebody told me it could be the cambelt tensioner of idler bearing... but if it was it would do it when revved when stopped wouldn't it?

Many thanks,
-Elliot

·
Registered
121 Posts
best to get the car down to a good mechanic

could be a big endbearing the way your describing or even the crank gives a deep knock but anyways have it checked out

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. :)

RB211, it's an automatic... and does it through all gears. It doesn't seem to do it when the engine is under propper load... but only when slowly building up speed.

Nismo LM, it's not really a knocking noise... just more of an irritation. It does sound like a rattling heat shield to be honest.... but it just doesn't seem to do it when the car is revved stationary. If it was the big end bearings, wouldn't they make more of a clacking sound at all revs... especially when revved stationary?

I'm thinking it could just be a heat shield. I did rev the engine tonight with my head under the bonnet to about 3K... and when letting off, there was a slight rattle from the camshaft area.... but only slight. :confused:

I'm going to get it on the ramp at work on friday, and check everything is tight... and take off all the loose heatshields.... and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers,
-Elliot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts