GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa Pod has just turned the track day market on its head, by being the first venue in the UK to allow guests to drive under fully timed race conditions – with a passenger!

For legal reasons passengers will need to bring their full UK driving licence and sign on in the usual manner, but having done so - and once presented with their wristband, they are free to ride shotgun with anybody on the start line that would like them onboard. To sign on as a passenger costs £10.

But remember - No driving licence no ride!

I am waiting for clarification on the rules but as I understand them at the moment; if the car is road legal it may carry a passenger whereas a full pro car may not. This could mean GTROC members attending HKS weekends might fancy a ride in the RIPS Drag-R. I will confirm this when I have full details.

Jeff.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I think it's a great idea :) You cannot explain to someone who hasn't been on the drag strip, just how hard you launch a car on the strip, compared to a fast pull away at the traffic lights on a normal road. I'd take a passenger down the strip myself for a laugh :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
you can do this at crail already and its great for showing folk what it needs to be launched etc

although crail aint a proper drag track as such

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
mmm so how do we lighten passengers? which bits could they do without? mind you I'm sure there are a few people that would give up a kidney for a ride in the dragR, this sounds like good fun but I still won't be able to take Callum (my 14y/o) down the strip...

Would this mean though that passengers will need full harneses - guess the rules will be dependent on speeds / times...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
mmm so how do we lighten passengers?
I hadn't thought of that!!! I've been praying for my wife to gain a foot in height and some bigger boobies for a while now, might have to re-think that if she wants a passenger ride down the strip :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Brilliant idea! Ive taken mine up the strip but put in some poor times because I just dont know how to launch it properly. Being a passenger would be a great learning experience as well as fun.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Oh good stuff. Might take my wife for a spin :)

Anyone heading there on the 17th for a little practice?

·
Registered
94 Posts
you can do this at crail already and its great for showing folk what it needs to be launched etc

although crail aint a proper drag track as such
Thats the only place Ive been drag racing (Crail that is) (and as a passenger in 2 Black Lines v8 Supercharged 200sx (S13).... its a great feeling, but I would love to go to Santa Pod and sample the same! ..... but probs in the GTR and not the 200

Great Idea, and very good for the sport

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i read that last nite and although sounds like fun i cannot understand why the passenger would need a driving licence:confused:

kev

ps whats happening on the 17th? test day?

·
Registered
531 Posts
mmmm maybe i keep it street legal again this year .could be fun for a few friends.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i read that last nite and although sounds like fun i cannot understand why the passenger would need a driving licence:confused:

kev

ps whats happening on the 17th? test day?

I spoke with Santa Pod about this and was told they have to treat passengers the same as drivers. I guess this must be to do with their insurance.

This would also mean that the safety rules would be applied i.e. crash helmets in cars that go faster than 100mph (or poss 110mph now).

The 17th Jan is the first Run What Ya Brung
Run What Ya Brung (RWYB) - Public Track Day

Santa Pod Raceway - Events Calendar

If anyone would like to drive in the HKS Series this year for the first time please contact me.

Jeff.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I will be there if there is no snow mate.

You got a car for me to drive the the hks series then? lol

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be there if there is no snow mate.

You got a car for me to drive the the hks series then? lol
And what is wrong with your car??? It surely can't be a gearbox problem :eek:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
haha no it will be his misses shouting at him not to break it again stopping him! ;)

this is quality news! atleast it means even though my car is going i can still have some fun up the strip! :) can see it being a positive move for the drag scene, will attract more spectators.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
And what is wrong with your car??? It surely can't be a gearbox problem :eek:

I would love to do the HKS series but the cost to make it legal is crazy. Its got to be a 10sec car now so will need alot of stuff done just to enter :(

Bored of the pro/street drag series as it's just against the clock and not racing the other lane.

AND NO the gearbox is still in there i think. lol

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
A passenger ride in Jeff's Drag-R would be awesome, I'd gladly pay for that experience. But it would have to be a full bore 9 second run, none of those 10 second mincer passes. :chuckle:

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I recently banned my missus from sitting in my GTR as she would always panic and beg me not drive faster than speed limit, and she would start screaming like a lunatic if I happened to take it to a bit of boost or be a cople of miles over the speed limit:mad:, so I had enough and decided to ban her for life from sitting in it, however Santa Pod seems the ideal place for me take her for a ride as it is a designated race environment and she can scream as loud as she wants:chuckle:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts