GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just seen a FB post that Race Developments are starting their VR38 engine development program. For anyone that doesn't know them they are the guys responsible for the super fast TTRS engine (the videos were floating around on here) and are also well known within the Evo (4G63 & 4B11), WSBK and MotoGP circles....

They certainly know how to put an engine together:clap:

This should get interesting as they are masters at extracting power out of any engine :)

From FB...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
689 Posts
You've got an old skyline engine build going too? :)
Mine will be as part of the development process, I need to do every stage of upgrades on the car to do the full amount of research and working with an engine builder like Tim means having a major competitive advantage.

Tim did the cylinder head for my Evo X and it was the highest power stock turbo Evo X that I am aware of anywhere :)

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Mine will be as part of the development process, I need to do every stage of upgrades on the car to do the full amount of research and working with an engine builder like Tim means having a major competitive advantage.

Tim did the cylinder head for my Evo X and it was the highest power stock turbo Evo X that I am aware of anywhere :)
Ah sorry, I thought you mean't you were doing an engine build on a Skyline rather than your GT-R. (2008+ model is not a Skyline)
My Skyline is shortly to have it's engine rebuilt.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what results get produced because the R35 tuning scene has really come of age now. :)

Look forward to the results. :cool:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I have just seen a FB post that Race Developments are starting their VR38 engine development program. For anyone that doesn't know them they are the guys responsible for the super fast TTRS engine (the videos were floating around on here) and are also well known within the Evo (4G63 & 4B11), WSBK and MotoGP circles....

They certainly know how to put an engine together:clap:

This should get interesting as they are masters at extracting power out of any engine :)

From FB...:thumbsup:

Nice, but they have a lot of catching up to do!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sorry force of habit as we have an R33 here too :)

Will be my GTR.

Graham I genuinely think RD will move the game forward rather than catch up, having worked with Tim for a while he really knows his stuff and has been able to produce engine that are far out performing competitors.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Sorry force of habit as we have an R33 here too :)

Will be my GTR.

Graham I genuinely think RD will move the game forward rather than catch up, having worked with Tim for a while he really knows his stuff and has been able to produce engine that are far out performing competitors.
Great

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Interesting news.

I think its quite funny how all these jedi masters of the VR38 have appeared out of nowhere in the "GTR" world and suddenly are the only ones able to do things. Reminds me of threads from 12 years ago !! lol

Its like the thread i read about SRD's second GTR customer - haroon I think - and his secret AMS turbos !! lol A turbo is not a complicated device, neither is an engine, the head is probably the biggest "mystery" in getting different ingredients to work in harmony and thats the same for all engines, not just GTR's. Fair enough weak points will be found, like the circlips in modern boxes, the blades melting the glue on the old ceramics or the rods going soft at 600bhp. But thats nothing to do with engine builder prowess and is simple empirical testing.

Lots of people liked my old head, it spent 2 weeks at Ilmor F1 on the flow bench !!

lol

·
Registered
689 Posts
Interesting news.

I think its quite funny how all these jedi masters of the VR38 have appeared out of nowhere in the "GTR" world and suddenly are the only ones able to do things. Reminds me of threads from 12 years ago !! lol

Its like the thread i read about SRD's second GTR customer - haroon I think - and his secret AMS turbos !! lol A turbo is not a complicated device, neither is an engine, the head is probably the biggest "mystery" in getting different ingredients to work in harmony and thats the same for all engines, not just GTR's. Fair enough weak points will be found, like the circlips in modern boxes, the blades melting the glue on the old ceramics or the rods going soft at 600bhp. But thats nothing to do with engine builder prowess and is simple empirical testing.

Lots of people liked my old head, it spent 2 weeks at Ilmor F1 on the flow bench !!

lol
This is it, the cylinder head is where the development and time is spent. Tim does things to the head I have seen no one else ever do in the aftermarket industry.

It is not a case of just running the die grinding over it he re-profiles the shape by adding material in some areas and removing in others. Along with getting the optimal design for the valves seats etc. it is one of the most comprehensive bits of work I have seen.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Tim doesn't tend to just bolt other peoples products together :flame:

He develops the engine in front of him
Thats good, but thats the part that I see taking time - learning the engines, etc. Knowing what will be next to break.....

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the work he does though :shy:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It will be interesting to see how it develops, hopefully a full build and we will get to see it on the engine dyno screaming :)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts