GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Cyprus this morning, man there are a lot of Skylines over there!!! I must have seen about 12 in one week, thats more than I've ever seen on the road in the UK!!

Problem.............there are no GTR's..........all 2.5 GTS' and 2.0 GTS'. All but two of them were 33's, the two odd ones were 34's. One 34 was in a dealer, a 97 2.0 GTS for CYP13,000!!!!! Thats about £15,000!!!! How expensive??? Funny thing was a few had aftermarket front ends on them, but with no intercooler, they looked a bit empty with the huge hole in the front!!

Still, most were lowered with 18 or 19 inch rims, and ALL had huge tailpipes................Funny to think ........only last night I was sat outside a bar watching poseurs in Imprezas, Sylvias and Skylines rumbling around looking at all the English "Babes".....here I am now, back in Wales, and it's raining!!!!!!!:(

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wont need to keep your Eye out Simon, they'll come to you!!! You'll also see some really nice Pulsar's. Take plenty of Sun Block though.......it was 45 degrees Centigrade last Monday in Paphos!!! Oh.....and dont even bother trying the local Lager "KEO", it costs 80p a pint, but tastes awful. It's probably made from Goat urine and Lizard droppings.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Cyprus

I think there are 2 GTRs in Cyprus.

The 97 car can't have been a 34, since 34 production only started in 1999.......

Guy

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

I stand corrected (thanks dino), I should have thought that GTS would have started before GTR. Still can't be 97 though.

Guy

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, all I can say is that it was definitley a 34!! The dealer told me it was a '97!! Perhaps you can put him straight when you're there Simon!! If you're in the Paphos area that is!! Its on the main road that leads from the sea front up to the old paphos town.

I thought I didn't see any GTR's because of the fuel problems you may experience, I think I saw the "Super" I put in my hire car was only 85 octane. It was only 41cents a litre though. (around 50p).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Setting the Record Straight... :)

Well, actually there are more than two GT-Rs here. I wish it was only two!

In Nicosia, there are 2 R33 GT-R VSpecs (mine included) and a really fast R32 GT-R. The latter is *seriously* modified and belongs to my mechanic. BTW, he (Chris) will take any Skyline owner who visits for a ride in the "moster"... Several GTR.CO.UK members have already been in it for rides... movies on http://www.DragRaceMonsters.com

Currently is is being rebuilt for the "big" drag racing event in Cyprus on Oct 5th & 6th. We have extremely high expectations... 10.78 in the 1/4mile two years ago, stock weight.. 1430kg..

GT-R count in other towns... we have counted about 5-6 more.. mostly R33s we believe.

Yes, we have a LOT of posers on this island... don't believe anything you see until you are sure. Lots of fake WRXs, EVOs and Type-Rs... GT-Rs are harder to fake with their nicely pumped-up fenders...

As for car prices... well for a GT-R, customs tax runs about 200% of invoice value. e.g. you paid 7,000 for your car, Tax is 15,000 so you end up paying 22,000...

BTW the above values come from a real exaple...
Drop me a PM sometime if you are planning on visiting Nicosia.

Guy (the other Guy - and I thought that no one else on this planet had my name...!) aka GTuned

·
Registered
662 Posts
:D You can also add me to the list of people terrified so much from his car.. that I just had to get one some day... 3 years after the "ride" I got in his car.. I did! :D

P.S. The highest pump fuel here is OK, it's rated at 98 Octane... what is probably worse than having low octane fuel is the 40+ degrees celsius temperatures...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Car prices

The prices of cars in Cyprus are so high due to the dreaded car import duty of about 120% ...YES 120% .

It doubles the price of the car and then some .On top of that import duty needs to be paid for all extras,eg. Alloy wheels ,passenger door mirrors,A/C,electric windows.etc....The list goes on.

This is mainly due to the fact that Cyprus is a very small country with too many cars...............

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Hi Guy. Still will be coming over sometime in the future. Cyprus is my second home and I love it more than the uk (that's not hard:D ). Some friends are moving to Limassol soon so will probably come and visit them. Will let you know when I am in Nicosia.
I am getting married next year and have not decided where to go for honeymoon yet (wanted to go somewhere we have not been before, e.g. Maldives). I wanted to get married in the village just north of Limassol like my cousin did but the boss said no:eek:
Derby it is then:(

·
Registered
662 Posts
>> This is mainly due to the fact that Cyprus is a very small country with too many cars............... <<

You forgot the part about greed.. :D

In case anyone cares, Cyprus Tax Scheme on Cars (as close as I can remember):

Total Tax = [( Estimated Value + 13% VAT ) x 1 + Engine tax ] x VAT Again!

The "estimated value" is *always*more than what you paid for it.
Some of the more ridiculous value-adding items are: 5th gear(yup), headrests, airbags, Catalytic converters, power anything, side skirts, spoilers, radio wiring (I had no radio but they still managed to get me for this one...), number of speakers, metallic paint....

Wait.. you still with me? The Engine Tax is 1% for every 1/10th of a litre above 1.6L ... therefore for a 2.6L engine it is 10% over and above... Forget *ever* taxing a Viper... 8.3L

I am not joking when I said that the tax on a 7,000pound (purchase price) 2.6L car was 15,000pounds. This is with their estimated value of 8,000 pounds.

However this all changes if you are eligible to have duty free cars.... :) And IF Cyprus ever Joins the EU, then maybe all of this will change.. for the better!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts