GTR Forum banner

201 - 220 of 888 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
It must be where something catches on the side or something didn't fit when building the cars so they belted the crap out of it to fit.
I can see what you mean about the panels being way out of fit. Some of mine are shocking, nearly get your finger in

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Hi all,

Just a little update, not really had chance to do much on the car due to work, It's been a case of an hour here and an hour there, so tried to do some little jobs, sorted a lot of the parts for powder coating, put them into three colour relevant box's and dropped them off at the coaters, he rang me with a price a couple of hours latter and told me there was over 100 different parts, couldn't believe how I'd got that many into the size of boxes I'd used, well something to look forward to getting back.

I know I'm not ready for putting parts back yet, but my thinking was to get everything cleaned, painted, coated and back together ready to go back on the car when the time comes. It also provides a break from the tedious stuff.

I wanted to strip down the mirrors and have the aluminium motor mounts re-coated because they're suffering quite badly from oxidisation , there are some pictures of what I mean back in the thread somewhere, the problem with that is you really do need to strip them completely, as the powder coating oven runs at around 200 degrees, anyway here's an idea of what I mean,

The oxidisation,

First needed to remove the cable clamp,

Then these,

This wire needs to have the plug remove, to allow it to pass though a small hole,

Once all the painted covers are removed, your left with this,

Then remove the top cover,

This is the main problem, the wires passing through the middle of the pivot point for the mirrors folding function, also where the wire needs to be pulled back through and the reason the plug has to be removed,

There's about another five screws to remove so the motor can come off, then the wire needs to be pulled back through the centre, this brings you to a selection of cogs, these also need to be removed,

And getting this little f**ker off was a real pain in the arse,

But perseverance paid off,

Then the shaft can be pulled out, but watch out for the spring loaded ball bearings,

They come from here,

And these sit under the large spring, I think they're to help the mirror click into position,

You will be left with this, which is one of the six bits that will never be seen again, that is going to be blasted and re-coated, WTF am I doing, I really do have a problem,

Parts laid out in order,

These are all the parts needed to make your door mirrors fold in electrically, and doesn't include the covers, mirrors, and motors needed to position the mirror it's self,

While I had them in bits I decided to give the mirror and motor housing a good clean as well, they were a bit grubby,

Removed the mirror and it's surround from the motor housing,

Then the mirror from it's surround,

Cleaned off the adhesive, stickiest shit ever,

removed the centre screw and locator,

Had to fasten a screw driver in the vice, so I could apply pressure to the ends of the pivot balls and push them out them out, rather than prying them out and running the risk of snapping them off under the pressure that was needed, if that makes sense,

Once in bits you can see how dirty they are,

Here you can see the two pivot balls I was trying to avoid breaking,

Removed the screws and back plates,

After I gave them a wash, I had to open the motor housing and dry out the inside with my heat gun, very carefully, because a little water had got in through a really small vent hole that I didn't notice,

All clean and ready to be re-assembled,

Back together,

Just need some more adhesive to stick the mirror back in,

Then once you've done one just repeat with the other.

Sorry guys, I know I'm a bit of a nutter, but I couldn't put that lot back without sorting it, it would drive me insane knowing it was there.

And I finally had some more laser cut plates done, so I will be sending PM's to those who wanted a set over the next week.

Been doing another little project for the last few weeks, a welder restoration, sound a bit sad, but it has history with me and my family going back nearly thirty years, I'll add it to the thread when it gets a little closer to being completed, that's assuming it works of course, it as been thrown in the back of a shed for the last five years.

Hope your all well,

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
206 Posts
:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

Restoration taken to another level....my favourite thread on this forum.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Hi Kevr32 just spent 2 hours reading your thread and it is the most amazing piece of detailed work I have ever seen. If you ever do part with the car in the future the new owner will be getting a virtually better than new car! Brilliant work, can't wait for more updates,

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Hi matt4man,

Thanks for looking, I was beginning to think the mirrors were a step to far and people had just got board with it now, but as I said before the thread is called strip and clean, as I can do a lot of that without it costing me anything, so thanks for the reply.

And thank you Mick E,

Hopefully it will be the kind of car, that as a buyer you would dream of finding, that's if I ever sell it of course, though I can't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

On another note, just been and picked up half of the bits I was having powder coated, collect the rest on Thursday. Got a couple of days off between jobs this week so I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the bits I've collected, they're all wrapped up so haven't even looked at them myself yet, if I'm honest, I feel like a kid at Christmas, I so want to rip a corner off and have a peek, roll on tomorrow.

Just thought, I didn't say what colour I chose to do them did I.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
66 Posts
:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

Restoration taken to another level....my favourite thread on this forum.
I second that!

Just wish I had the time, money, space, patience and skill to pull this off on mine!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a bone to pick with Kev, I stripped my mirrors down this weekend! After seeing your pic's I couldn't help my self! Haha..
Keep it coming, I love all the pictures, especially the welding jigs. It's what I do at work a lot. Always making tools.
Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
I second that!

Just wish I had the time, money, space, patience and skill to pull this off on mine!
As I said above, it costs nothing to strip and clean bits,

I'm thinking about going to the big breakfast in october, if your going, could meet up and have a chat.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
I have a bone to pick with Kev, I stripped my mirrors down this weekend! After seeing your pic's I couldn't help my self! Haha..
Keep it coming, I love all the pictures, especially the welding jigs. It's what I do at work a lot. Always making tools.
Good luck with the project.
Sorry bud, hope they went back together ok.

I'm trying to sort out my old welder at the moment, I have loads of stuff I want to make, up till now I've been borrowing my brothers which is a right pain in the arse, suppose I could go buy a new one, but where's the fun in that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm thinking about going to the big breakfast in october, if your going, could meet up and have a chat.
Definately! I've been a couple of times, but missed the last 2, one because it was pissing down and the other because it fell on my girlfriends birthday!

I've heard from a mate who goes with the mustang boys that it's outgrown the venue though so to get there early, I'm gonna go for 08:30 :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Kev - are you considering heating the mirrors now they are apart properly? Especially as you get snow up your way ;)

And yes - I'm aware you're most likely to keep it in the garage :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
i would avoid using hammerite kurust as its......welll.....its shite :p

Have a look a the Bilt Hamber products ( the kurust equivalent is Hydrate 80 ) but also look at the rust removal products like deox gel,

alos have a look at a zinc rich primer to really prevent rust in the future (becarefull as most zin rich primers have very little zinc in) but the electrox in the link is not one of them :)

Corrosion and Rust Prevention | Car Wax | Polish | Sealer | Award-Winning Surface & Vehicle Care Products | Bilt-Hamber UK

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
Kev - are you considering heating the mirrors now they are apart properly? Especially as you get snow up your way ;)

And yes - I'm aware you're most likely to keep it in the garage :p
Never thought about it really, is there a kit readily available, and it will get driven, I'm not one to go to this extent then lock it in a garage so someone else can reap the benefits at a later date.

59bhp,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, just had a quick look at the link you gave me and they do some cracking products, going to spend a bit more time on there site later today and will be ordering from them, again thanks.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Hi all,

just a quick update, as I said earlier I picked up some of the powder coating I'm having done, didn't look at it at the time of collection, so unwrapping it yesterday morning and seeing it for the first time was really nice, I was more than impressed with the quality of the finish, and believe me I'm not easily impressed.

But first, I got the rest of the underseal off from the tank filler area in the wheel arch, cleaned the rest of the wheel arch back to bare metal where needed, in the areas where the original E-coat is still intact, I'm going to leave it as it's another layer of protection, at least that's how I see it,

Gave it a quick coat of zinc primer just to see what it covered like, thinking if it didn't cover right, it's only a small area to rub back down,

Went on ok so did the rest,

Gave it a coat of kurust,

Then rubbed it back and primed it, the primmer is purely to protect the bare metal till I make a decision on what product I'm using under seal wise,

Thought I'd remove a bit of the rusted area so I could see how bad it was, while trying to retain the original line of the wheel arch, as that part wasn't rusted,

Once opened up I could see that it would be impossible to treat the rust between the inner and outer arch, without removing more of the metal work,

So I mad a new piece for the corner,

Then marked round it and removed the old metal, trying to remove as little as possible, the small cut is a slip with the grinder :eek:

Measurements for the holes that were being removed were taken, to enable the to be put back,

Also started to make a patch for the inner arch, but ran out of time,

The rust still needs to be cut out, but I was using it as a guide for the shape of the replacement part,

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #216 (Edited)
Now the powder coating, cleared the table so I had somewhere to put the three boxes of goodness,

First one out the box, Oh, and the colour,

Tank straps,

They got plenty of coverage inside as well,

Couldn't even remember putting this in the box,

Wanted to try this blue as an accent colour, let me know what you think

And against the grey,

Font sub frame,

Again, the inside as good as the out,

And the rear sub frame,

One lovely table full,

Sorry about all the pictures, I was a bit excited and wanted to share, pick the rest up tomorrow, so more to follow.

Was a click away from ordering £600 worth of nismo bushes last night, then changed my mind and decided to buy a compressor instead, I'll be able to get a lot more done with that, than with the bushes, anyway, I'm going to get a cuppa, been up since 3am, these post take some time to put together, but then again I don't post one picture at a time I suppose.

Hope your all getting plenty of seat time in this lovely weather, see ya later,

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Amazing work fella can I ask have you bought new ball joints for these and who you get them from and do you have a part number
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412142181.850336.jpg

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Kev i admire not only the attention to detail you put on this project but also your over all spirit, enthusiasm and hardwork. 24hrs/day is not enough for you but im sure you can do more things worth than a day.

hat's off :bowdown1:

201 - 220 of 888 Posts