241 - 260 of 860 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wanted to try this blue as an accent colour, let me know what you think

And against the grey,

Haha, this looks awesome - reminds me of an Ikea catalogue! :chuckle:

The blue looks great against the grey

Great work Kev, loving the powdercoated bits and pieces, so jealous!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Redeyez808,

Must admit I love it, looked at it again today with fresh eyes, looks better than yesterday. Thanks :)

gt0311,

Two words that say so much, you have a PM by the way, if you've not already got it.

Aus32,

Ikea catalogue... PMSL :chuckle:

Cheers bud.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just trying to clarify, you asked if I'd got new "ball joints", where I got them and the part number, but the picture is of the front upright which uses a king pin that locates in two bearings, so I assumed you were talking about them, if you were, then yes I removed them without damaging them, the king pin comes out quite easily, then I used a set of internal pulley drawers to remove the bearings, bit of a struggle but doable.

If you did mean a particular ball joint and just put up the wrong picture, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

I'm not one that gives "I can't be arsed" answers, if I have the info you need, it's yours, no problem.

Kev.
build's looking amazing mate love the colour of the powder coating

I'm in the process of re-newing all the bearings & ball Joints front to back (pm me if you need to know where from as not got list with me)
the only ones you can't get is a standard R32GTR rear lower ball joint as they come with the arm (even though they pop out when cir clip's removed)
so I'm getting moonface ones which are roll centre adj's

looking forward to more updates

Nigel :thumbsup:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Thanks Nigel,

I going to fit a full set of nismo bushes front and rear and probably the same lower ball joints as you, I'm struggling with the price though if I'm honest, it's not that I can't afford them, I just have a massive issue with companies taking the piss price wise, I guess that's what the GTR tax is all about.

May get in touch later about that list, just have other things to do first, thanks for the offer though.

GTSR32,

It's not so much that I won't want to drive it, by the time it's done I'll probably be to old to :chuckle:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just read your thread for the first time and then had to re read it again - excellent with great photographs - keep the updates coming however small.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Back again,

Picked up the bits I was having done black on Thursday, got back to the garage and started unwrapping them to take some pics and the batteries were flat in the camera, then got side tracked doing something else and ended up not taking any, was really busy yesterday but did take 3 or 4 photos, not as photogenic as the grey parts, but still nice,

Sorry that the photos look over exposed, it's really bright in the garage and I leave the camera on full auto so I can just snap away, next time I'll use some of the more advanced settings and see if I can get some better pictures,

Not really happy with the back plates, the finish is great no problem there, it's just that they were quite battered to start with and I should have spent a little more time re-shaping them before sending them for coating, plus there are one or two rust pits I don't like,

There are a few other bits among this lot that I'm going to replace, purely because the quality of the part is not as good as I would like it, either due to rust damage or the fact that, at some point in its life it's been miss shaped to the point that it will never look like it did when it was new, I have re-shaped some bits, but the powder coating shows up every imperfection and I hate to see hammer marks on something that shouldn't have them.

About 5 or6 bits to pick up next week, but that's it for now.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Powder coating will show up every imperfection unfortunately - but the majority the parts returned look really nice and clean - keep at it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Powder coating will show up every imperfection unfortunately - but the majority the parts returned look really nice and clean - keep at it.
Yes your right, I've been having things powder coated for over thirty years, so know what to expect, I had some bits done knowing i may never use them, more as back ups if I can't find replacements, as you said they're not bad and most people would be ok with that, I'm just a bit picky I think.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hi pal i got u mixed up with somebody else when you commented on my project just read this and can only say amazing work keep the updates coming pal

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Got rained off yesterday so went and collected the silver bits from the coaters, only a few pieces,

Thread needs cleaning it still has the residue on it from the tape they wrapped it in,

Some of the masking still needs to be removed from the pipes,

Just another note for anyone interested, if your thinking about getting some shelving for your garage, Makro are doing a good deal at the moment, 4 boltless shelving units, each with 5 shelves rated at 265kg per shelf (not that I'd put that amount of weight on them) measuring 900x450x1800 and a work bench measuring 1200x600x900 all for £100 + vat, really good for the money, so got two lots while I was running about yesterday afternoon,

This is just three units, I've another five to put together yet and the benches, the MDF shelves are also included, £240 all in, well happy, finally be able to get some of the shit off the floor and have a tidy up.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Even with a garage the size of yours!! I guess you were getting pushed for space so additional shelving a good call - love the silver bits they will look great when fitted.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
speedingpanther,

Sorry bud :chuckle:, got the weekly offers book through from makro the other day, usually I just through it in the bin, but my wife had a flick through and spotted the shelving deal, the only reason I went and got them was because the good offers sell out really quickly, my normal approach is to think about buying something just long enough for it to be sold out when I get there, I suppose getting rained off wasn't that bad after all.

Steve_s,

Yes it was time to get some, the floor was rapidly becoming a horizontal shelving unit, I still had plenty of space but the mess gets annoying, and the silver does look good, yet I'm still struggling to get the quality of finish I'm after on one or two areas, as they say, the devil's in the detail, thanks for looking.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Just had a read through the thread and I have to say; WOW! Fantastic attention to detail!
Thanks Jay,

You really should get your own thread going, I know your probably doing it in your spare time and I dare say you don't get a lot of that, but even if it's a slow mover, it would be well worth a read.

Don't forget to post todays progress on matts car, it's something to read with my cuppa when I get home,

All the best mate.

Regards Kev.

241 - 260 of 860 Posts