GTR Forum banner

321 - 340 of 865 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Really enjoyed reading this, looking forward to future updates!
Cheers bud, an update is well passed due I must admit, need to get my finger out, but sometimes life just gets in the way of all the good stuff, I'll try and get something up in the next couple of weeks.

Kev.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Kev, hope you press on and try and get what is rightfully yours. This is the kind of BS that comes with ebay. I sold an item as used and the guy then says he's not happy with it. I marked it as non refundable received as it was and he started to nit pick and requested a refund and paypal have held my money even though I withdrew the money having shipped off the item.

Now it's a ball ache luckily the item was not too expensive but it's a total **** up the buyer should know what he is buying if he wanted a new item he should have paid 4 times the amount and bought new.

Still ongoing see what happens! A lesson for me I won't be selling anything there!!
There was f**k all I could do about it, so I let it go, the anger eats you up otherwise, but as you said, never again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
As above got caught in the same way on e bay before Christmas - with an idiot who admittedly did not follow the OEM instructions supplied with the item I sold and consequently damaged the item - he complained to pay pal and guess what - REFUND - I was furious - however your dead right you have got to let it go or it eats you up!! Never again and cash on collection only.

Look forward to the next updates Kev.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Hi all,

It's been a while, but I thought it was about time I did a bit of an update of sorts, just wanted to finish off the part about the welder so I can try and focus on the car again, the time I get in the garage is getting shorter and shorter as I tend to be spending more time working for some reason, to the point that I haven't been in the garage since before Christmas apart from to drop things off or pick things up.

In the last post about the welder I said that now the PCB had been repaired it worked but the wire feed was still slow, as in the feed wouldn't turn up enough to supply the amount of wire needed for high power welding, I knew it had a fresh motor fitted by the first company I took it to, I also knew the PDB was ok because that had been repaired, so, after trying various other things to rectify the problem and getting no further, I ended up taking it to the guys that repaired the PCB so they could check it over, I dropped it off before Christmas and left it with them.

When I went to collect it they told me that the motor that was fitted by the first company was a dud, which in turn had damaged the repair that had been done to the PCB, so that was repaired again and a brand new motor fitted this time, they also fitted a new earth clamp socket, as the one I fitted was to large and was causing another problem, the reason I used it was to enable me to use the same earth wire for both my tig and mig welders, but alas that wasn't possible, not to worry, could always make an adapter I suppose.

Another thing I was doing was having the sides of the welder blasted and coated, and some new stickers made, I dropped the sides off at a different powder coaters to the one I normally use, purely because they are closer, thought I'd give them a try, when I went to collect them, hey had done them the wrong shade of blue, so they had to do them again, you live and learn,

Here's a few before and after shots,

Here's the new wire feed motor,

New smaller earth clamp, same size as the original,

They also fitted a used control knob they had to put me on till I can get a matching pair,

And here it is back together at last, looks a little better than when I started,

Time to give it a proper go, power on, gas on, earth connected,

A bit of clean 2mm plate,

And Robert's your mothers brother,

Some thicker plate and the power turned up a bit, to say it gets hot would be an under statement,

I've got a few other bit to fill you in on, but I'm just going to grab some tea, back in a bit.

Kev.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
I know I said I'd be back in a bit, but had my tea then just switched off, so,

Morning all,

The other little bits I mentioned are just part of bringing things up to date, like my dad walking into my garage with this knackered red box in his hand saying "I've got you another little project to work on".

One of my brothers runs his own garage and the guy next to him runs a fabrication shop, before Christmas my dad went to see him, for a bit of a catch up, just after the guy next door, who has a few anger issues, had lost it because he couldn't get his plasma cutter to work, (found out later that the air line wasn't connected properly) thus prompting him to beat the shit out of it with a hammer, cut the wires off and throw it outside, so my dad picked it up and with the guys permission brought it to me,

Sorry guys, got to go again, works calling so I'll continue this later.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
34 Posts
thank god i didn't have much work today :)
i went through the whole thread this morning and just finished reading it.
I'm speechless :eek:
The amount of work you put into little details is beyond amazing !
Reminds me a little bit of my AE86 project which was almost stripped to a bare shell but i haven't put so much work into the details.

I like projects like this way more than just buying new shiny stuff and putting them on

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Back again,

Bit of an early finish, so I was saying this morning, my dad gave me this battered red box to see if I could do anything with it, those of you with eagle eyes will have spotted it in a couple of the earlier photos, it's a Lincoln plasma cutter, the PC210 that retails at over a thousand pounds and it's just over 12 months old, all I can say is I wish there were more idiots like him, (the guy it belonged to, not my dad),

Appears to be well made, PCB is resin covered which makes it impossible to work on, but very resilient to attack by a mad man with a hammer, the pictures don't show the damage very well, he gave it a good go though,

Fitted a new wire and plug, made sure none of the bare wires in the torch were touching each other and turned it on, it still works,

It even has an on board compressor and that works as well, just needs a new torch and earth clamp and it's all good,

I'm not going to clutter the thread any more with this one, I'll just get the bits it needs and sort it out, should come in useful along the way.

Another thing I started to do before Christmas was a bit of a clean and refresh of the steering rack, a bit random, but in my head it made sense, the reason being I'm going to rebuild the front subframe as a bit of a moral booster and I'll need the steering rack to put back on the subframe.

I was going to hold the following pictures back until I'd got it completed, that way I could do a start to finish post in one hit, but the fact that I started this nearly two months ago and only took some of the bits to be vapour blasted yesterday, It's probably best to do it in a couple of posts,

Started out with the complete rack minus the mounting rubbers and pipe work,

I think a good clean is in order,

And maybe a couple of new parts along the way, if needed,

Started by removing the track rod ends, slackened the lock nut first of course,

Then the retaining clips/wires that hold the gators or boots, what ever you want to call them, in place,

That obviously snapped off,

Plan b,

worked well,

Doesn't look like the outer one was ever fitted,

First one off,

After a couple of broken screw drivers trying to remove this indentation,

I decided brute force was the best option, so got the spanners out, this is the other end of the rack, but the same principal,

Resistance was futile,

Lock ring and Teflon seal,

Do the same at the other end and your left with this,

Next to go was....

I've just realised I have no idea what this is, but I removed it anyway,

Maybe something for measuring the steering angle,

Then the pinion housing,

The big nut on the end, this is also a seal and guide for the shaft,

Then this big rusty nut, yes I could trawl through the manual to find it's technical name, but who can be arsed doing that,

And finally the pinion drive,

I know there's a lot of photos, but they're always handy for reference purposes, I was going to remove the rack from the casing but thought enough was enough, I can achieve what I want to achieve from where it is now, that is have the aluminium parts vapour blasted and then flat and paint the rest, the aim being to make it look factory fresh,

And I'd like to thank everyone for there comments, they really do mean a lot to me and every one is valued, that's all for now,

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hats off to you for putting all that hard work in!.

Your garage is a beast and the cars coming along very nicely :).

Some lovely welding going on there too.

Keep the updates coming, spent 2 hours reading it from start to finish yesterday.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cracking work

Keep going Kev its brilliant to see how its all coming along, i bet sometimes you think i cant be arsed especially on cold nights when its easier just to put your feet up in front of the TV.

keep up the amazing work!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice one Kev love the updates - albeit it tiers me out reading them, don't know where you get the all energy from, it puts many us to shame! well me anyway!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Hats off to you for putting all that hard work in!.

Your garage is a beast and the cars coming along very nicely :).

Some lovely welding going on there too.

Keep the updates coming, spent 2 hours reading it from start to finish yesterday.
Cheers bud, I love that people are still reading this for the start and thanks for the comments.

Kev.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Keep going Kev its brilliant to see how its all coming along, i bet sometimes you think i cant be arsed especially on cold nights when its easier just to put your feet up in front of the TV.

keep up the amazing work!!
I've been thinking I can't be arsed a lot over the last couple of months, specially when 've been working outside laying bricks all day, that's when the TV is really appealing, but now the weathers picking up a bit the enthusiasm should increase a little, I hope.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Nice one Kev love the updates - albeit it tiers me out reading them, don't know where you get the all energy from, it puts many us to shame! well me anyway!!
Cheers Steve,

I never thought about that, should I make the updates shorter so they're easier to digest, when I look at a thread update and there's one picture and a couple of lines, I think why bother, why not wait till you've got a bit more to show, maybe it's just me?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Absolutely love seeing your updates kev! Great work as usual!

And keep the updates as they are, personally I find it boring to see just one or two pictures with little info to what's been done.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cheers Steve,

I never thought about that, should I make the updates shorter so they're easier to digest, when I look at a thread update and there's one picture and a couple of lines, I think why bother, why not wait till you've got a bit more to show, maybe it's just me?
Kev they are great as they are, just keep them coming in any way you see fit!

321 - 340 of 865 Posts