GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 866 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
The garage build is as good as the car build. Not sure we have had a build thread quite like this one before! Great stuff.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi all, you know sometimes when you just need a quick moral booster, a few weeks back I removed the rear bumper took the number plate lights out also the reversing light and fog light, gave them a bit of a clean.

Before

Can't find the before photo's of the fog and reverse lights, which is annoying, anyway they were just as bad, you get the idea.

after something as simple as a wash.

Can I just thank you guys again for all the positive comments, and also say, maybe this should just be GOC (garage owners club) I can't believe how much you all like the garage, I've not done a thing to it since I boarded the door up, but now I feel like I should out of respect for you guys.

The next couple of weeks I'll do some more and get plenty of photos, stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
..wow

Crikey fella, massive respect to you for building an awesome garage & for restoring an icon. Looking forward to the thread & some inspiration, a massive:thumbsup:

cheers Jon

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well done mate, the lights look minty fresh!

Makes me want to clean mine :(
Glad you like, I thought they were clean till I uploaded the photos, then I spotted the dirt between the letters on the number plate lights, small finger nail brush soon sorted it though.

No I'm not that anal really, just sometimes the small stuff annoys me.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Subscribed!!!

To strip a car and rebuild it is one thing. To do it whilst building a massive garage..... Kudos.
Thank you mate, the original title for this thread was going to be " it's all going to go tit's up", be interesting to see if I should have used it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Crikey fella, massive respect to you for building an awesome garage & for restoring an icon. Looking forward to the thread & some inspiration, a massive:thumbsup:

cheers Jon
Thanks jon, I'll try not to let you down.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Another small update, wanted to have a go at strengthening the rear suspension, love the nismo stuff but can't really afford it (read, more important things to spend my money on) so' thought I'd have a go myself.

started with this.

Made some cardboard templates.

Also did the same for the other arms as well, then took the templates to my local laser cutters and had them cut me a couple of each out of 2mm plate.

massaged them with a tapping stick (hammer).

Had the rear sub frame blasted, then trial fitted them.

Then welded them in place.

Then took them and had them blasted, along with a lot of other parts, but I'll post those latter.

I only made the top two plates in the next photo, the bottom two are original.

Not really happy with the centre weld in the next photo, going to re-weld it.

The remaining bushes will be removed, then they are going to be zinc plated, then powder coated, the zinc is mainly to protect the internal parts that the powder coating doesn't reach.

If any one is interested in having a go at this them selves, I could put a 12 piece kit of these laser cut brackets together for about £50 a set, plus postage of coarse.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts

stunning job you've done there, i would certainly be interested in a set of plates, once again top work!!:bowdown1:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Might be a retarded question but what are the holes for? letting dirt out etc?
Nothing wrong with asking questions, and you're spot on, letting dirt out is one of the reasons, another is to allow access for the powder coater.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Quick update.

Had some more parts blasted, all of which are going to be zink plated then some are to be powder coated.

The factory welding isn't the best, but it's still lasted over 20 years.

The guy I use for the blasting is usually quite good, but he's started missing bits that are easy to spot, I'm not to bothered because it's easily fixed, it's still annoying though.

It doesn't matter how trivial the job, you should always do it to the best of your ability, at least that's what I think.

Another example of factory welding, looks like they forgot to turn the gas on.

Majority of the pipe work will be left just zink.

If I'm honest I still haven't made a decision on what colour to have the parts coated, I'm leaning towards satin black (factory), or maybe gloss gun metal to match the body.

I'm thinking as long as there's a colour between the grey sub frame assembly, and the grey body, say the black under seal, then it could work, opinions welcome.

21 - 40 of 866 Posts