GTR Forum banner

421 - 440 of 864 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just spent some of My late hours Reading all 28 pages, and OH MY GOD! This is simply an amazing build! If you just keep going Down The same Road, and keep your spirit High, you Will end up with The most amazing car! You Can be Very proud of The work you have done! You are an inspiration to us all! :-D i Will be following this one till The end! :-D

Enoch

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
If there was a 'washing someone's mouth out with a bar of soap' smiley, you'd be getting it right now! :chuckle: There is only one answer - grey - the original colour. White is the colour of washing machines and vans, not performance cars. Hopefully, that's a balanced enough view to help you on your way?

Excuse me !!! Why aren't white cars performance cars ??? you're just being whitest now lol

Kev - keep to original colour it will be most valuable that way and top work again

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Kev no problems PM me. Thanks

If you have pictures to post, get them up, don't let what I'm doing stop you, you can always preview your post to see them in context first, then decide.

Thank you, it is hard at times to find the motivation, then I get comments like these. I have a couple of questions to ask you, more pick your brains I suppose, though I'll do it by PM another time if that's ok, thanks again.

Glad your enjoying it, any pictures of yours or your engine build?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
Hi all,

This will probably be the last update for a few weeks, just because of the amount of work there's to do in the next couple of months, I've had to take yesterday and today off due to the customer I'm working for having to deal with some family matters, not being one to waste an opportunity, I thought I'd try and sort this lot out,

You can also see in this picture why I so desperately want to replace the chassis section, every time I look at it I get annoyed, I know I can make another one, but I'm waiting to here from yet another company in japan that is supposed to have some in stock, just want the original part if poss,

Here's a shot of the one I straightened out the other day, don't know why, but it looks a lot better in real life than in the picture,

Hours of wire brushing and sanding later,

I also found a bit of underseal I missed when I first striped it all off,

Treated and primed,

Near side front arch primed, rubbed it down the other night, but didn't get it finished as I was knackered,

Then this morning I moved on to the off side arch, got an early start and it took nearly four hours to get to this stage, not bad to say it looked ready for paint before I started, rubbed down,

Primed,

And finally, FINALLY, that's the front and rear arches and the underneath cleaned and primed, ready for seam sealing and it's protective coating, what ever that ends up being,

And to answer Speedingpanthers question about the seam sealer, it's this stuff, apparently really good,

Lets face it, anything with a health and safety warning like this, and containing a virtually un-pronounceable chemical with 27 letters in it's name, must be good?, must be?, surly, :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:.

I'd also like to thank everyone for the amazing comments I've received throughout this entire thread, without you guys I honestly don't know if I would have got this far. Please remember, I'm not a professional at this and there will be times I do things wrong, or don't use the right materials, maybe miss things here and there, but it's a learning curve for me, same as the next person, and hopefully it will all work out in the end, again "THANK YOU" each and everyone of you.

Till next time,

Regards Kev.

·
Super Moderator
31,351 Posts
Threads like this piss me off. Why can 'I' be 'YOU'? Instead I'm this cackhanded, clumsy **** :( that can't even seal a kitchen worktop without making a giant ****ing mess

Can't believe i missed this thread, stunning and annoying in equal measure :bowdown1:

Git

Mike

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #428 (Edited)
Threads like this piss me off. Why can 'I' be 'YOU'? Instead I'm this cackhanded, clumsy **** :( that can't even seal a kitchen worktop without making a giant ****ing mess

Can't believe i missed this thread, stunning and annoying in equal measure :bowdown1:

Git

Mike
What I meant to say, was thanks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Kev, are you gonna seam weld this while you have the opportunity?

I'd do it, the car will feel so much fresher and handle better with it done. At the end of the day, the car is a quarter of a century old and the chassis won't be as tight as it was, and the better rubber we have these days will only give the chassis an even harder time than it was intended for.

I think you're at the stage where, if you didn't do it now while you have the chance, you'd regret it later on. People always go for more power, and some go for brakes and suspension too, but nobody seems to realise the fact that the car was built in a time when tyres weren't as good as they are now and the chassis wasn't under as much stress because of it. Better tyres and more grip = even more stresses for the old chassis to cope with.

So, seam welding FTW!!:chuckle:

·
Registered
591 Posts

I'd do it, the car will feel so much fresher and handle better with it done. At the end of the day, the car is a quarter of a century old and the chassis won't be as tight as it was, and the better rubber we have these days will only give the chassis an even harder time than it was intended for.

I think you're at the stage where, if you didn't do it now while you have the chance, you'd regret it later on. People always go for more power, and some go for brakes and suspension too, but nobody seems to realise the fact that the car was built in a time when tyres weren't as good as they are now and the chassis wasn't under as much stress because of it. Better tyres and more grip = even more stresses for the old chassis to cope with.

What he said - this is the perfect opportunity to stitch weld and tighten up the chassis (at least between suspension mounting points; I'd leave the crumple zones as they are!)

You can still cover up the welds when you apply seam sealer too for added stealthiness

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #433 (Edited)
Just spent some of My late hours Reading all 28 pages, and OH MY GOD! This is simply an amazing build! If you just keep going Down The same Road, and keep your spirit High, you Will end up with The most amazing car! You Can be Very proud of The work you have done! You are an inspiration to us all! :-D i Will be following this one till The end! :-D

Enoch
Sorry Enoch,

I try my best to reply to everyone, though some times I miss a couple, as I did with yours, thank you for taking the time to read through this lot, I must admit it was never going to be this long, just an engine bay re-fresh and a set of bearings, my problem is if I see something that needs sorting, I have to do it, I can't just pretend it's not there and move on, wish I could at times.

If your going to keep checking back, I'll try not to disappoint, there's still loads to come as it seems to evolve on a weekly basis, plus I keep getting people like these two below, who seem to think I don't have enough to do FFS. :chuckle:

The short answer is, "NO" but with good reason.

The idea of seam welding as played on my mind since the start of all this, there's even been times I've got the welder out to make a start, then changed my mind, as you can probably tell, I tend to go a little OTT at times and feel a need to do things to the best of my ability, which to some would be a good thing, but to me is a bit of a pain, as I have the ability to seam weld the shit out of the thing, and there lies the problem. I don't know if you watched the two YouTube clips back in the middle of the thread somewhere, if not check them out, as that's what I would have needed to do had I gone down that route, and I thought it severe over kill for a road car, that in truth will probably never be driven anywhere near it's limits.

The chassis prep thing is something I have every intention of doing, just not on this one, that's why I am on the look out for (ideally) a white R32 GTR shell with a log book, which will be sand blasted inside and out, then fully seam welded and gusseted just like in the clips.

What he said - this is the perfect opportunity to stitch weld and tighten up the chassis (at least between suspension mounting points; I'd leave the crumple zones as they are!)

You can still cover up the welds when you apply seam sealer too for added stealthiness
You both have very valid points, and I'm sorry I'm going down a different path with this one, but if I do find the right shell, it should make for an interesting thread.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Look forward to the next thread too - fair play to you for having got this far and still wanting to do another build from scratch!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
The chassis prep thing is something I have every intention of doing, just not on this one, that's why I am on the look out for (ideally) a white R32 GTR shell with a log book, which will be sand blasted inside and out, then fully seam welded and gusseted just like in the clips.
Kev, just a word or two of warning, but be very careful prepping a shell by sand blasting it as it can induce a lot of stresses into the larger panels that are very hard to remove. It is prone to causing 'oil canning' which is where the surface either pops up or down but doesn't stay where it should. If you can't get to the back of the panel to block it when planishing the oil canning out, the panel will be scrap. I'm a member of a metal shaping forum that deals with all aspects of car restoration as well as metal shaping techniques and, believe me, there are some horror stories where people have tried to save time with blasting only to throw the parts away and start again. I know that caustic dipping has its own disaster stories but do some research before handing a good shell to a blaster. HTH.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Look forward to the next thread too - fair play to you for having got this far and still wanting to do another build from scratch!
The one thing I hate is repetition, I have to do something different for it to hold my interest, so the next one will be nothing like this one(if I do another). I think the seam welding and chassis strengthening would be the main part of project B, and as such, should be on display where possible, the plan is to have some carpets...

Wow, nearly got carried away then and told you all my ideas, lets see if I can source a shell first, and we'll see where it goes from there.

Kev, just a word or two of warning, but be very careful prepping a shell by sand blasting it as it can induce a lot of stresses into the larger panels that are very hard to remove. It is prone to causing 'oil canning' which is where the surface either pops up or down but doesn't stay where it should. If you can't get to the back of the panel to block it when planishing the oil canning out, the panel will be scrap. I'm a member of a metal shaping forum that deals with all aspects of car restoration as well as metal shaping techniques and, believe me, there are some horror stories where people have tried to save time with blasting only to throw the parts away and start again. I know that caustic dipping has its own disaster stories but do some research before handing a good shell to a blaster. HTH.
Hi Tazz,

I was just generalising really, like your self I have seen more than a few **** ups in this area, I would never have the outer panels blasted, as in the roof, rear wings and c-pillars, it would be more about the underneath, engine bay, interior, the main focus being on the seams, to try and remove all the crap and avoid blow back when welding.

In an ideal world I would like to tig weld it all, more for the look than anything else, though I would need a lot of practice before attempting that as it's been a while :chuckle: and if I did, the cleanness would be even more important as you know.

Then there's also my secret weapon in the blasting department, I've found another guy in a shed, admittedly it's a big shed, but a shed all the same. This one was harder to find than the last one, but I love a challenge.

The main focus of his work is big money vintage cars and he is exceptional at what he does, I've only met him a couple of times so don't know his methods or anything, just that the pressure and materials he uses has a gentleness to it that allows him to blast body panels with out the usual distortion associated with the process, lovely guy though, been doing the same thing for over forty years.

Great work Kev, for the final protection you should consider Epoxy Mastic 121 and then stone chip over that :)
Thanks for the heads up, I think this has been recommended before so will ask about it the next time I'm at the body shop. I think there's so many products available these days for this kind of job, that as long as you stick to a decent brand, you should be ok regardless of choice.

Thanks again guys,

Regards Kev.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Ha ha, you've obviously got it covered then. Sorry, I wasn't trying to teach you how to suck eggs, just pass on some useful information to prevent unnecessary damage to a good shell. Speaking of shells, I suspect your vintage chap will be using crushed walnut shell as his blast media:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Any updates Kev?
Grass cut? Hahahaha

Any chance of some extra pics of your garage? I'm back AGAIN with planning on mine, so thinking I've got some reworking to consider anyway... Anything you'd change on the build for example too (if you had to redo it).

Cheers

Dave

421 - 440 of 864 Posts