GTR Forum banner

441 - 460 of 888 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Hi Dave,

Not done anything on the car since my last post, just no time at the moment, took a job on for a client that I've done a lot of work for in the past, one week in and my brother who helps me out when needed, got pneumonia so hasn't been there for the last four weeks, the labourer took the piss once to often, so he had to go, and his replacement bailed when he realised you couldn't load up bricks and blocks or mix gobo with a PS4 remote, luckily it's only a small retaining wall, and a 14m x 10m garage,

I'm being selective with the photos out of respect for my client,

This is only half of the wall,

And you thought my garage was big, 1,300 foundation blocks, 1,200 breeze blocks and 14,000 bricks in the garage and wall, and lets not forget the 120 tons of hard core and 200 sqm of patio to lay, is there any wonder I've no time to spend on the car.

Anyway, talking about things I would change or do different, if the funds would have allowed, I would have fitted 3 phase, if planning would have allowed, it would be high enough to fit a 2 post ramp, and be able to use it properly, do as much as you can from the outset, as you probably won't get round to doing the things you didn't do initially, good lighting (something I still need to sort), roller shutter door with dead bolts, good storage, not too big, as the size is great, but it's a nightmare to heat, and lastly, have a purpose for it, mine was going to be used for allsorts and as such, never had a definite focus, thus 40% of the stuff in there is shit, and will never be used again. That's why after a bit of a discussion with my better half, I've decided to have a mass clear out of all the crap and my other projects, and focus solely on the 32, kind of a clarity of thought thing, and to be honest, I can't wait.

Hope everything works out for you with planning and you end up with something near what you wanted originally, though if they are anything like round here, there idea of a satisfactory compromise will be a potting shed and a car cover.

All the best mate,

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
LOL

Thanks Kev - that puts perspective into practice...
Actually the use for mine is similar with the mixed areas. Not sure how the multi use space and tools surfaces are going to pan out. I want to be able to do a decent amount of bespoke woodwork along with having a 2 post ramp.

Engines and dust don't mix well so I've a lot of working out to do...

·
Registered
102 Posts
You sir. Are an inspiration to everyone that's keen on a bit of diy. You Make me want to go outside and take bits off my car and clean them haha. Keep up the amazing work.
Andy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I just spent the better half of a day reading over this thread... I am absolutely blown away by your level of dedication and attention to detail. Maybe one day I can do this to mine, but till then, I'm just gonna sit back and patiently (that's a lie... it will be quite impatiently) waiting for updates on this! Top thread Kev!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
Haha love it Kev :)
Hi TD,

We think the PPI calls are bad these days, wait till someone wins a case agains Sony or Apple for turning them in to a lazy fat bastard with no hope, then the flood gates will open, because lets not forget, it's always someone else's fault. Sorry, rant over :chuckle:

LOL

Thanks Kev - that puts perspective into practice...
Actually the use for mine is similar with the mixed areas. Not sure how the multi use space and tools surfaces are going to pan out. I want to be able to do a decent amount of bespoke woodwork along with having a 2 post ramp.

Engines and dust don't mix well so I've a lot of working out to do...
Don't know how big the garage will end up being, but could you build an engine/store room for the important mechanical bits, bag the ramp when not in use and get some good dust extraction for the joinery side, or a four post ramp that could double as a bench, that's how we use my brothers from time to time, plus it's height adjustable :)

You sir. Are an inspiration to everyone that's keen on a bit of diy. You Make me want to go outside and take bits off my car and clean them haha. Keep up the amazing work.
Andy.
Thanks for the kind words, i wish I was at the stage where I could go out and clean mine, one day, one day

So I just spent the better half of a day reading over this thread... I am absolutely blown away by your level of dedication and attention to detail. Maybe one day I can do this to mine, but till then, I'm just gonna sit back and patiently (that's a lie... it will be quite impatiently) waiting for updates on this! Top thread Kev!
Sorry this isn't an update on the car, just like to reply to everyone if possible, and thanks for looking, there will be updates in a few weeks, but as usual, work comes first and the new roof I,m putting on my conservatory on the evenings and weekends, not enough hours in the day.

Know I'm late :)

All the best,

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #447 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to catch up with a few bits, I've had about half a day in my shed since my last post, and that was spent tidying up, I wanted to try and get the front and rear subframe assemblies back together, but realised there were some bits still needed sorting, front tie rods, bottom arms, steering rack bushes, which are now ordered, and one or two other little bits, nothing much but enough to stop progress.

As I mentioned before I have two sets of running gear, so try to pick the best bits from both for the re-build, I started by trying to get a matching pair of bottom arms,

Started with four and they are all different,

Two are Nissan and two pattern parts I think, this is one of the original arms from my car, O5U

This one is from the spare set, a Nissan part I think, but I have no idea what the 23U designation relates to, anyone can enlighten me please do,

Just sent all four to be blasted and coated, pic the best out when they come back, will try to get another O5U in the mean time to match the original, but if not the ones I have are fine,

The spare set came with Nismo front tie rods, which were looking a little tired, so I pressed the bushes out and they've gone to be freshened up as well,

Also striped the rear steering rack so that could be done, removed the sticker so hopefully that will go back on,

A couple of before shots for comparison later,

Then the strip down, inner track rods off,

Gattors are looking tired,

End caps removed,

Had to find a slightly larger tool to remove the steering rack end, yes I get the joke about the tool,

A very fine thread,

And various washers and seals,

And a proper spring, well two actually,

Then the rack its self could be removed,

Complete with Teflon seal,

This just left the bare casing for blasting and coating, these bits were all dropped off this morning and will be collected next week.

I also managed to get round to putting some paint on my grinder stand, so I can get that fitted now,

And I had a delivery,

My Epoxy Mastic 121, Saifskyline recommended this to me along with a couple of other people, sure you know who you are, then what finally helped me make the purchase was a chat with one of the nicest guys I've ever come across, better known as Bob, it's the same stuff they use at the Zelou5, if your reading this mate, thanks again for the advice, your a true gent.

Then one last question before I go, should I mask up before seam sealing to give a nice clean edge,

Or brush it on for the factory look ???

I am going to remove the bit I've done before I apply the EM 121, it was more a trial of the different technics of application, that and the fact I was going to do the floor another way before finding a better solution, I will then re-do the seam sealant afterwards, followed by another coat of Mastic.

Going to try and get some time over the next few weeks to do a bit more, so until then, hope your all well,

Regards Kev.

PS.

Had a bit of bad news today, the guy I found to do the vapour blasting, finally got to go in for his triple heart bypass after various failed attempts, over a period of nearly three years, only to pass away in the operating theatres waiting room, moments before his operation. I didn't know him that well, but my heart goes out to his family and friends.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
PS.

Had a bit of bad news today, the guy I found to do the vapour blasting, finally got to go in for his triple heart bypass after various failed attempts, over a period of nearly three years, only to pass away in the operating theatres waiting room, moments before his operation. I didn't know him that well, but my heart goes out to his family and friends.
That is sad news Kev and it does give us a sense of perspective about life when hearing such things. I still don't know how you find the time to go to work and manage to do the intricate work on your car as well. Keep up the good work:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Superb thread still!

That steering rack pretty much sums up perfectly why Japanese cars from the ~90's are my favorite. There is more engineering in that single item than probably my entire company car.

Wonderful. :bowdown1:

No idea's on the part numbers I am afraid. Want me to crawl under my R32 and see what I have? Happy to do so if it helps at all, its a 1992.:runaway:

That is sad news Kev and it does give us a sense of perspective about life when hearing such things. I still don't know how you find the time to go to work and manage to do the intricate work on your car as well. Keep up the good work:thumbsup:
Agreed, that is terrible.

PS - Missed the update with all the bricks, that is a hell of a setup mate. Sure your not rebuilding Hadrian's Wall?!

·
Registered
7 Posts
What an amazing thread, awesome work Kev!

With regards to the seam sealer, I think with the level of attention you're giving the rest of the car I'd say go with the masking to give the clean edges...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
That's the problem TAZZ, I'm not getting the time these days, work has taken over this year, plus I'm doing a massive revamp at home, so any spare time is being spent on that, which makes for very long day's and not a lot of chill time at the weekend, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the amount of work, just the lack of time to do it in.

Superb thread still!

That steering rack pretty much sums up perfectly why Japanese cars from the ~90's are my favorite. There is more engineering in that single item than probably my entire company car.

Wonderful. :bowdown1:

No idea's on the part numbers I am afraid. Want me to crawl under my R32 and see what I have? Happy to do so if it helps at all, its a 1992.:runaway:
Thanks for the offer Rich, but I'm thinking it may be off something like a 300zx, same parts with different numbers, not that important, just curious.

What an amazing thread, awesome work Kev!

With regards to the seam sealer, I think with the level of attention you're giving the rest of the car I'd say go with the masking to give the clean edges...
Kinda leaning that way myself, more so you can tell it's been done I think, rather than looking like I've just painted over the original.

Don't know why but I prefer the look of brush weirdly.
Nothing weird about it bud, I do like the originality of the brush look, though as I said above will it be seen as I've painted over the existing sealer, rather than striped it and applied new???

Thanks for the comments guys, a lot more interesting updates to come when i get the time, till then,

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Amazing work. It coming along really nicely. You've put a big amount of man hours and this is the best part. I hope you're enjoy the process. It is the only that counts.

I'm looking forward to see it finished.

Best
:)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #454 (Edited)
Hi all,

Managed to get a couple of hours yesterday, after having a mini meltdown about the lack of time I have to do the things I want to do (spend time in my garage), so packed my tools up and said "f**k it, I'm off".

Just want to start by thanking LP570-4 for having a look at my thread and leaving a comment, your right bud, there is a lot of hours invested, and I've enjoyed every last one of them, it's not always about what your doing, sometimes it's more that you have the time to do it, if you know what I mean.

Right, the last time I was in the garage, I was having a tidy up and noticed that the rotisserie was getting harder to move, on closer inspection I could see that the castors had started to collapse,

Simply not strong enough in the first place, so had a route round and found some old ones that I got a while back, then pinched a couple out of my brother garage, kinda forgot to tell him I'd borrowed them, but not to worry, they're welded on now,

A lot stronger, seems to move a lot easier as well on larger wheels,

As I mentioned last time, I finally got round to buying some Mastic 121, but was a little concerned about it adhering properly on top of the primer, so dropped an email to rust buster to check, and was told as long as I flatted back the primer it would be ok.

So I removed the bits of seam sealer that I had applied as samples,

Then started to flat the primer back,

Realising just how long this was going to take, and a severe feeling of dèjà vu, I left that for another time,

Also made a decision to use the masking up method when applying the new sealer, as apposed to brushing it on.

I got the bits back from powder coating, the main body of the rear steering rack and the track rod ends,

Chose two of the four bottom arms that I had done,

Pressed the bushes back in to the Nismo front tie rods, just need some new stickers for them,

Then cleaned the inner track control arms ready to paint, if you remember, it didn't go to well last time,

Primed,

Painted,

Gave everything a good clean and laid it all out ready to be reassembled,

Lost a bleed screw somewhere, that's going to be a pain to find, also did a little job for someone and took these in payment, though I may sell them as I would prefer to use the Nismo version.

That's all for now, I need to make more time for this, I really do.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Morning Kev,

Looking good (although I can only see the top 3 pics?).

Don't worry about spending loads of time on other things, life is busy. I have been through the same recently. Over the last 3 months I have probably only 2 days in the garage but hey ho.

Just think of all those nice dark evenings coming up where you can hide away with the one you love! :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
same here Kev :|

Morning Kev,

Looking good (although I can only see the top 3 pics?).

Don't worry about spending loads of time on other things, life is busy. I have been through the same recently. Over the last 3 months I have probably only 2 days in the garage but hey ho.

Just think of all those nice dark evenings coming up where you can hide away with the one you love! :)

Bloody hell... You lucky sod - I've only had 2 days in the garage in the last 16 months. And that was partly to clear space for some wheels lol.

441 - 460 of 888 Posts