GTR Forum banner

461 - 480 of 867 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Had a bit of bad news today, the guy I found to do the vapour blasting, finally got to go in for his triple heart bypass after various failed attempts, over a period of nearly three years, only to pass away in the operating theatres waiting room, moments before his operation. I didn't know him that well, but my heart goes out to his family and friends.
That really put things into perspective Kev. I have met a lot of great people through my purchase of three Skylines and 99.99% of them are still around. It is very sad when you lose someone you know.

Make the most of every day I say (I am 50 next year).

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Kev, only the first image shows and none of the rest do, even when you try to open them direct from the links in the notification email. I suspect the reason you can see them is because you are logged in to your google account and, if you logged out, you wouldn't see them any more. It's odd though that the first image displays ok.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #472
I give in, now he two images at the top of this page have gone, they were visible yesterday, sorry guys but i have no idea what to do to fix this, I'm going to leave it now as i a getting really annoyed and don't want to let the anger take over.

All the best guys, see you later.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Kev, try attaching them using the paperclip icon.

On another note, I thought I had a fair collection of wheels and tyres but that rack above the bench is quite impressive!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #475
Kev, try attaching them using the paperclip icon.

On another note, I thought I had a fair collection of wheels and tyres but that rack above the bench is quite impressive!
Thanks for letting me know there was another option, never thought of doing it that way, though when i tried it the image was quite small, but better than nothing if it all goes tits up again.

Really don't get what happened, i posted the last few images and the ones that were visible to people at the top of the page yesterday, disappeared. i wouldn't know how to delete an image after it was posted if i wanted to, so god knows how it did it on it's own.

As for the wheel rack, i forget it's there most of the time, one of my better ideas, beats having them on the floor.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Kev!

I cant see any of the pictures from post #454-#470! And it really bothers me! hehe ;-)
(except the top 3 in post #454, as everybody else)

Thought I was just gonna let you know!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #479 (Edited)
Had the day off today, well most of it anyway, so grabbed the opportunity to do a couple of little bits, more about spending some time in the garage away from everything I think.

What I was trying to get across in my last post was that the rear steering rack was ready to go back together, I was going to get a new pair of boots to go on it but after close inspection the old ones just needed a good clean.

Parts laid out for reassembly,

Poured a little hydraulic oil in to a tin to dip some of the parts in and aid with the rebuild,

The dark grey ring in the bottom of this tube needs a seal pushing in to it,

Oil for a bit of lubrication,

And in it popped, far easier than expected,

Shaft and Springs oiled and back together,

Centralising washer and shaft lubed up, then put back in to casing,

End cap with seal and O-ring back in place,

And back together,

Ends back on,

Inner track control arms fitted, greased up with there boots on, just need to get some wire ties to secure them in place,

Track rod ends and lock nuts fitted,

And there you go, didn't get a picture of the whole thing for some strange reason, not to worry, it is all back together, honest.

On another note, you remember the guy I found for the vapour blasting that passed away, it turns out a long time friend of his purchased all the gear off his wife and is going to continue blasting, though I get the impression the prices will be going up after having a chat to the guy the other day.

After spending about an hour with the new guy last week, it was suggested that any alloy parts that were to be vapour blasted would benefit from being dry blasted first to remove any heavy deposits or grease/oil, this helps to prevent the wet slurry from becoming contaminated and also provides a better finish.

Going to post this bit know, do the rest in a while, just got to go pick the wife up, back in a bit...

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #480 (Edited)
I'm trying to get everything together parts wise, so I can build the sub frames back up, obviously cleaning preping and painting as I go, a big part of this is the four uprights, being aluminium I'm torn between having them powder coated, painted, dry blasted or vapour blasted, then whether to clear coat after blasting or not, I know I'm making a rod for my own back, but I never have taken the easy route.

I must admit I'm leaning towards the vapour blasting, with maybe a coat of clear for preservation purposes, and with that in mind and the guys words ringing in my ears, I decided to clean up the spare uprights ready for the process,

The rears have already been done and one of the fronts had been striped down a long time ago, so just the one to do, and I must admit they were a bit....grubby,

Removed the bottom ball joint,

Then the king pin,

The hub,

Bearings have seen better days,

Left the outer part of the bearing in place, to protect the bearing housing while blasting,

Then got my £20 blast gun out along with half a bucket of fine media, took it out side this time and 30 minutes I had these,

Found it quite strange that the writing on the right side upright is cast the right way up and on the left it's upside down, anyway they are all ready to be vapour blasted, I think, or maybe painted, oh I don't know, see how I feel next week.

That's it for now, all the best and I hope your all well,

Regards Kev.

461 - 480 of 867 Posts