GTR Forum banner

521 - 540 of 867 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #522 (Edited)
Just a few pictures of the front and rear uprights that I took for vapour blasting, for those that didn't see the original images before they disappeared, this is how they started out,

Then once I'd stripped them I blasted them with my £20 blast gun and a bucket of glass media, the outer part of the bearing was left in to protect the housing, and although clean I knew they could look better,

Then after a two and a half month wait for the guy who does the vapour blasting to get his shit together, they ended up like this,

I'm really pleased with the results and now I can get on with building them back up.

I know these first couple of posts after the **** up with the pictures are a bit bland, there's more interesting things on the way, just getting back in to my stride again.

Kev.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not bland mate. Love it. I stripped mine a few years ago & cleaned them up while I changed the bearings.
They are nice to still see looking clean after a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'M SPEECHLESS!!!

Ive not been on the forum for a while for several reasons...and then stumble upon this thread....this is hands down the BEST thread ever!!

Well done Kev, well done...we salute you!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
as if i just sat and read the whole thread for 2 hours!!! lol very interesting read fella
Sorry Gav?, missed your post, thanks for taking the time to look through it all, and glad you found it interesting, I'm just doing the things I like to do, and kinda hoping other people feel the same way and don't think I've lost the plot.

Not bland mate. Love it. I stripped mine a few years ago & cleaned them up while I changed the bearings.
They are nice to still see looking clean after a few years.
Thanks brett, you really need to get some pics up of yours mate, your car that is, :chuckle:

What a difference - any cleaner and they'd have been polished :p
I thought pretty much the same thing when I got them out in the daylight, I showed them to my brother, he suggested I paint them as you can't tell the difference between them being painted or cleaned, he clearly misses the point, or at least I think he does.

I'M SPEECHLESS!!!

Ive not been on the forum for a while for several reasons...and then stumble upon this thread....this is hands down the BEST thread ever!!

Well done Kev, well done...we salute you!
Thank you so much, I love the fact that people are still finding this thread for the first time, and more importantly, liking it, keep checking back has I'm hoping this year will be a bit more productive than the last one.

Kev, Jesus dude, glass box on the mantel, much!? They look awesome! :D
Cheers bud, maybe I could do that with the spare set I have, the only down side to it is I have to have all my alloy parts cleaned the same way, other wise it will look like I couldn't be bothered.

Going to chill for a bit, another long day tomorrow and I'm knackered, thanks for the replies guys, catch ya later.

Kev.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good to see your getting back into your project, as your stripping the drive shafts, is they anyway of knowing what side they came off as in drivers side or passenger ? Are they marked up anywhere on the shaft. Have been told there made with a slight twist in the shaft for acceleration to take the stress out of the shaft

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #529
Good to see your getting back into your project, as your stripping the drive shafts, is they anyway of knowing what side they came off as in drivers side or passenger ? Are they marked up anywhere on the shaft. Have been told there made with a slight twist in the shaft for acceleration to take the stress out of the shaft
Hi Mark,

Don't know about the twist in the shafts, but the drivers side is longer than the passenger side, these aren't my image but shows the difference, it's due to the shape and location of the diff, hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I agree - the do look like they could have been painted.
Maybe consider clear coating them to preserve the actual effort undertaken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #532
Maybe consider clear coating them to preserve the actual effort undertaken?
The guy that did the blasting suggested I try something called ACF50, I think it's a bit like WD40 and is supposed to be excellent at preventing aluminium from corroding, a spray and forget thing, a little easier than lacquering them, and I'm up for anything to make things a little easier.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
ACF50 is good stuff but it's not permanent, the motorbike guys use it, especially good in the winter but if you're using it on exposed parts it'll last for about a month or so and then you'll have to re-apply it

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
Looking Good Kev-lar.

Impressed with the results from your cheap blasting gun, I might have to get one myself.

Keep up the good work.:)
Thanks Rich,

The gun cost £20 from machine mart and I've been trying to sort a blast cabinet out for a while now to go with it, I've been talking to a couple of guys who have one each that they said they would sell me, but for some reason there's always a problem when it comes to doing the deal, it's got to the point where I can't be arsed any more with people that can't get there act together, for what ever reason, so I'm going to just get a new one, it will allow me to do all the little bits my self, and maybe save a few quid in the process.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kev, I'm glad to see more on this one. I've been away for a bit, but I always love checking in on your thread here. The only thing that I don't understand is why in the hell it says "Kind of" in your title... there is not even a shred of "kind of" in the effort you're putting into this man. Absolutely unbelievable! Well done!

·
Registered
54 Posts
this is absolutely amazing! keep it going. I hope that one day i have time and money to do this same to my gtr. I like u way to take lots of pics :)

Some older pics like page 34 doesnt work :O

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #539 (Edited)
Hi again, this is part repost, part new,

I mentioned a few pages back, before my images disappeared, I finally got round to buying some Mastic 121, but was a little concerned about it adhering properly on top of the primer, so dropped an email to rust buster to check, and was told as long as I flatted back the primer it would be ok.

So I removed the bits of seam sealer that I had applied as samples,

Then started to flat the primer back, again,

Then I started to apply a coat of the mastic using a brush, at a glanse it looks ok, but on closer inspection it annoyed me,

And as it dried it got worse, plus it dried matt which surprised me,

So I went and borrowed a spray gun from a friend of mine and tried again, this time the finish was better, but still dried matt, maybe this is down to the cold has it was very cold in the garage, I had to warm the mastic to thin it enough to work with, this is only the first coat so the finish isn't that important, it's more about getting good coverage,

Sprayed on,

A bit annoying that it looks like primer, I think I'm going to put a layer of stone chip or similar on top of the first coat then another coat of mastic, if I'm still not happy I'll spray paint it the colour I want on top of the final coat.

Also made a decision to use the masking up method when applying the new sealer, as opposed to brushing it on.

On another note I got one of the new rear quarter windows, the other got broke on it's way to the dealers, the replacement will be coming next week hopefully, bought from Nissan and the right tint colour, cheaper than RHD and no import tax or shipping costs,

Going to try and have a couple of days on the car next week work permitting, try being the operative word there, should be OK though,

Kev.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #540
Kev, I'm glad to see more on this one. I've been away for a bit, but I always love checking in on your thread here. The only thing that I don't understand is why in the hell it says "Kind of" in your title... there is not even a shred of "kind of" in the effort you're putting into this man. Absolutely unbelievable! Well done!
Nice to here from you bud, wondered if you were OK when you just disappeared, did you get shipped out or something?

Stunning work mate :bowdown1:
Thank you, I know I have issues, but I'm working through them :chuckle:

this is absolutely amazing! keep it going. I hope that one day i have time and money to do this same to my gtr. I like u way to take lots of pics :)

Some older pics like page 34 doesnt work :O
Thanks for the comment, I had a few problems with posting images a while back, now using photo bucket instead of google, so hopefully should be OK now.

If anyone wants me to repost the missing sections let me know and I'll have a go, if everyone has seen them then fair enough.

Kev.

521 - 540 of 867 Posts