GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 860 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
MATE.... your garage.... i am sooo jealous.
I'd be happy with a normal sized garage nevermind a massive one like that :eek:

Also loving the work and effort you're putting into the 32 to restore it.
Best way about it for such a classic car... ill be getting torn into mines soon as well :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fantastic build/build thread

I would do the same if I had the time, the space, the mechanical aptitude, the creativity etc etc

Maybe I've been taking too many/not enough drugs but have you thought of red for the suspension components? - it goes well with grey. Feel free to shoot me down

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'd go with the satin black too, all the bolts zinc plated.:cool:
I know that's probably the way to go, but when I see the grey, wow. I think the problem for me is, so many have done the black, and I just like to try something different, I don't think greys been done, not yet anyway.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
MATE.... your garage.... i am sooo jealous.
I'd be happy with a normal sized garage nevermind a massive one like that :eek:

Also loving the work and effort you're putting into the 32 to restore it.
Best way about it for such a classic car... ill be getting torn into mines soon as well :D
Thanks mate, every body loves the garage, I'm starting to feel a bit of a twat for having it, but believe me when I say, it took a lot of getting there, and I'm still at it now, it took the better part of two years to get through planning, thanks to one of the neighbours getting up a petition to stop me, and all she can see of it is 18" of the gable end over her boundary wall. apparently she was offended that I hadn't asked her permission first.

And good look with yours when you get started.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Fantastic build/build thread

I would do the same if I had the time, the space, the mechanical aptitude, the creativity etc etc

Maybe I've been taking too many/not enough drugs but have you thought of red for the suspension components? - it goes well with grey. Feel free to shoot me down
Wouldn't dream of shooting you down, the right red would look great, but I think I'm going to use red for an accent colour, maybe the strut braces, and one or two other small bits, don't want to give to much away at the moment, subtlety being the key, rather than in your face.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Subscribed! Not losing this thread again!
Also interested in the laser cut plates! Do you have any cad of them as I don't need all of them?

Cheers,
RoB

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hi all, just a quick update, the weeks been fairly shit up to now, works mad, can't collect my zinc plated bits, because I start work before they open, finish after they close and they're 15 miles away. And I haven't got any where near as much done on the garage as I wanted to, so I thought, I'll get one of the lads I know to come and have a day painting while I'm at work, what could possibly go wrong!!!

I started last week, a couple of hours each night after work, moving the massive amount of crap I seem to have accumulated, from one place to another to allow access to the walls and part of the ceiling, so I could paint them

Started by putting a quick coat of white on the parts of the ceiling I could get to.

then a wash coat on the walls, to prevent the following coats from sinking in to much.

second coat, still drying.

Of coarse, I ran out of paint two hours after the shops had shut.

This is where the lad came in for the day, spent all day applying 15lts of magnolia soft sheen, bought from the same place, off the same shelf with the same label as the paint I used on the first half of the garage

Without noticing it is a completely different shade, FFS.

And what's even more annoying, is you guys can't even tell from this shit photo.

I know it seems like I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but if you saw it you'd understand. So the next step is to get some more paint and do it again, myself, it seems to be the only way to get what I want.

Sorry for going off on one, rant over, I'll do a better, more positive update once I get some more paint on.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Another little update, calmed down a bit from last week, went and had a chat to the paint supplies, who'd started mixing the paint them selves, instead of buying it in and that's why there's a shade difference in the paint. Anyway, long story short, got some more paint (with a bit of discount) and painting it all again, if a jobs worth doing and all that.

This is the forth coat it's had, but it's looking better every time, I'm not doing it again.

Just the one photo of the garage this time, more to come.

I did a bit more a couple of weeks back, before I started with the painting, here's a few picks.

Got the doors stripped.

I did remove the hinges and safety strap, after this photo.

Not a bit of rust, I'm really impressed, must have been well looked after in it's home land, I think all the damage to this car was done between it being imported and me getting it (two previous owners).

A lot of dirt though,

So stripped both door handles, so they can be cleaned and painted.

Also stripped the mirrors to there component parts, so they can be painted more easily, the internal motor mounts, which are an aluminium castings, are showing there age,

Think I'm going to git a small blast cabinet, so I can do the little bits my self, should save a bit of money in the long run.

Took a photo of the screws so I know which ones go where.

Got the boot lid removed and stripped.

Badges off, need a good clean.

Again, no rust.

The boot lid doesn't show any signs of being repainted at any time, but I found these little plates, which I assume have been used to patch the holes of a previous lip spoiler at some time. No matter, they'll get sorted along the way.

There is a small dent and some paint chipping where the spoiler mounted, nothing to serious.

Found a couple of photos on my phone of the rear subframe before it was stripped.

it's covered in cobwebs because it was stood here for about 18 months.

While looking for something the other day, I found some bits wrapped in bubble wrap that I had completely forgotten about, they've been in our loft for the last 2-3 years, same again, done for another project that got side lined.

So I got them out and took some pics.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Back again, made some time to go collect the parts from the platers, I took quite a few bits, but when I got there, they'd done them bright zinc instead of yellow zinc, they said it was there mistake so they would do them again.

I told them I'd take the ones that are being powder coated, because the zinc colour didn't matter on those. Some of these parts will be re blasted to help the powder to get better adhesion, the whole point of the zinc is to provide protection inside where the coater can't reach

A few pics before they go for coating.

Still need to remove the bushes, forgot to do it last time.

The finish is a bit rough in places, but nothing that can't be sorted.

Also got the final coat of paint on the garage walls, the pictures don't do it justice, it's so clean and bright, don't know how long it will last.

The beams will be painted blue to match the benches.

And part of the floor painted, must clean that window.

That's all for now....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Brilliant work kev keep it up mate.

I'm loving the suspension strengthening and the plated bits looks sweet. Good luck with it all and the garage is looking really good.

41 - 60 of 860 Posts