GTR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 860 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
RoB,

Sorry I didn't reply to your question about the plates, the laser cutters have the cad at the moment, and won't release it till I spend some more money, it's part of the agreement I have with them, but if you let me know the plates you want, I'll sort you something out.

Price would be £4.50 a plate + postage

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Hi all,

What happened to the weekend, blink and you missed it ring any bells.

Anyway, a bit of an update, last week I had a shuffle about in the garage and managed to paint a bit more of the floor, let that dry for a few days, then went to do the rest and got really board with it all, so decided to strip a bit more of the car.

So got the chain blocks, all I've got for lifting at the moment, and lifted the car up on to a couple of trestles, so I could get underneath to drop the rear sub frame, box and tank.

It's not the easiest thing to do on your own, but a pallet truck and a few blocks come in handy,

I didn't bother showing the bit in the middle, where it all went tit's up and fell on the floor'

Rear sub frame out, with the same degree of success,

Tank out,

Big hole where it all used to be,

Car, or should I say shell up on the trestles,

Removed the spats and skirts, skirts are on the bench,

Don't now if these are a nismo part or what, but genuine Nissan and marked 06U rather than 05U ?

I know I've been making a bit of a joke about there being no rust, but I was dreading taking the skirts off, knowing that it must be somewhere, but I've been lucky again...kind of,

Near side, as you can see, who ever fitted the spats couldn't decide where to drill the holes, another job for the list,

Off side,

Had a scrape with a screwdriver, and it's just surface rust,

Inner wing area near filler neck, same again just surface,

Tried to take some pics inside the rear wings, just behind the B post, if that makes sense, so pleased with the condition,

Down inside the rear wing, where the jack goes,

A posts, bulk head,

Obviously those were taken after I removed all this,

Heat shield needs a bit of TLC,

Under side of the wheel well has been protected by the tank,

Picture makes the rust look worse than it is, just surface,

The next 4 pics are the worst of the rust and they're all down to jacking damage, going to take my time when straightening these and make them look like they've never been damaged,

The worst bit of rust on the car is at the back of the rear number plate, it's the only bit that has actually eaten through the metal,

On a lighter note, the inside is finally striped,

And after spending countless hours trying to find someone who does vapour blasting within fifty miles of me, I found out that the guy I get paint supplies off, three miles away, has got one that he likes to keep quite.

A quick chat and a fiver later I had these,

[

So clean.....

That's all folks.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Dear Kev

I've been one of the many reading every word of your journey, from day one, with garage and GTR....

I'll stop there - basically it's awesomeness is just that - awesome :D

Loving the style of thread and the amount of detail. Great to see you've also been lucky with the lack of rust. Working on it his early will keep it at bay for many more years to come. I remember learning the hardest with my first t3. I'm now on my third and it took me a long time to find one so clean... Knowing where to look at all that. But like you say with your example of the side skirt fittings... You still never know until you start stripping back. I've been stripping back thigh nothing close to the length you've gone. I thought I was doing well getting the engine and gear box out followed but full front end and wiring removal...

Keep it up ;)

Ps - you know there's a weight limit to those trestles!!! Right? :p

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Still loving this thread. Jaw dropping. For us thicko's what is vapour blasting?

Similar process to sand blasting, but is water instead of air and is considered (normally)was harsh than many processes. Mainly used for surface dirt removal only.
As per Kev's pics... Very affective.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Similar process to sand blasting, but is water instead of air and is considered (normally)was harsh than many processes. Mainly used for surface dirt removal only.
As per Kev's pics... Very affective.
So in that picture is it just the result of the process or has paint been applied? They look like new!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Dear Kev

I've been one of the many reading every word of your journey, from day one, with garage and GTR....

I'll stop there - basically it's awesomeness is just that - awesome :D

Keep it up ;)

Thankyou for the really kind words, it's a great moral booster.

Ps - you know there's a weight limit to those trestles!!! Right? :p
I made those trestles about 25 years ago, and they've never let me down, yet, though I must admit, I did doubt there sturdiness when the car still had the box, subframe, and tank in, that's why the chain blocks stayed on.

Either that, or I'm just an idiot that doesn't think things through.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Still loving this thread. Jaw dropping. For us thicko's what is vapour blasting?
I think speedingpanther answered the question better than I could.

I'm still going to apply a coat of clear laquor to protect them, and stop oxidisation.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Wow that is amazing!!

Here in London you cannot even pay a man to drill a couple of holes in metal for £5!!
I'm still trying to work out what you think is amazing, the thread, or the fact I paid a fiver for something, if it's the fiver part, I daren't tell you what I paid for some of the other stuff, it would only upset you.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
congratulations Kev

now you have one that looks like mine :)
but the right way up !

your project's looking amazing ..... its all about the detail .... don't lose sight of the end product

Nigel:thumbsup:
Cheers Nigel,

I'm going to make a rotisserie in the next few weeks, so it will actually look the same as yours, well, before you did any thing to yours of course.

All the best mate, and I'll keep the end in sight, no problem, honest.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Wow

Excellent thread, absolutely loving all the detail photo's as well. And speaking as a builder well done on the garage too. :thumbsup:

Charlie.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I'm still trying to work out what you think is amazing, the thread, or the fact I paid a fiver for something, if it's the fiver part, I daren't tell you what I paid for some of the other stuff, it would only upset you.
Project and the fiver for vapour blasting!! I live in the wrong part of the UK here they try and fleece you for everything!! :chairshot

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I could say the same about some of the traders, so technically you could live anywhere lol.
Traders are always doing that nothing new there, but people should be wise and be smart! Cannot blame them for trying to make as much money as possible it is human nature!

When I do work for a client, I make sure they pay me as much as possible too :D On the flip side I want to try and buy at the lowest price possible!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Not an update, so by all means return to projects before the disappointment sets in.

I was looking through some old photos this morning, board out of my mind, it was persistently raining outside, damp dark and miserable, then I found a couple of pics from 2010 of the garage part built, and thought, it could be worse.

the block work at the back, is the back of the neighbours garage, mine was about a metre high at this point.

And a couple of the car, it dropped this lot over night,

You've got to love four wheel drive.

I suppose the lack of rust is even more impressive when you take this kind of usage in to account.

Proper updates in the next couple of weeks, just busy earning the money to pay for them at the moment, hope you all have a good weekend.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Reminds me of getting caught out several years ago (poor shot with no body kit etc at this point). Normally locked up in the shirty weather but it was a fun drive to work that day... Like you say - 4wd is great, though I would add 4 wheel drifting is better when space allows :p
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398504630.967220.jpg

61 - 80 of 860 Posts