GTR Forum banner

841 - 860 of 866 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #841 (Edited)
Back again,

Back to work Monday so last post for a while, a lots happening over the next few weeks so there will be more updates to come, but for now here's a couple of pics from today,

Finally took the car off the rotisserie, this is the closest the cars been to the ground in five years.

All I need to do now is get "Project B" off the trailer bed, in the garage and back on the rotisserie, put the trailer bed back on it's wheels, then get the grey 32 on the trailer and down to the paint shop for it's new coat, that's not for a couple of weeks though, so all should be good.

Later,

Kev.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
Hi Kev,
Ive been following this thread from the start! its incredible what you are doing keep it up ! Seriously impressive .
cheers
Thanks for the kind words.

Looks good! You could have used this stuff first before applying the final colour top coat :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-POL-GRA-GG1-GRAVITEX-PLUS-HS-STONE-CHIP-PROTECTOR-GREY/283595576057?epid=1927639745&hash=item42079d12f9:g:7tsAAOSw~cldZVjw

I've used U-Pol products for many years and this over paintable Stone Chip product really does work Kev!

HTH!:)
Used Upol for years myself, painted the diff with there satin black, stone guard wise I think I used tetrosyl, also over paintable I think, too late now though either way, If it starts to drop off I'll just not let anyone look underneath the car :chuckle:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
Hi all,

Just a small update, well a few phone pics anyway, managed to get the shell down to the guy who's painting it for me last Friday afternoon, he rang me Tuesday morning to come pick it up, sounds quick but there was only the roof and rear quarters to do, along with very little prep work.

A little hard to photograph in the garage, what with all the shit in there,

More to come, but could I just ask, would anyone still be interested in "Project B" or is a bit "same shit different day" thing, if you know what I mean.

Kev.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You should set up your own firm

:smokin: Kev’s (Omori Resto) Uk ltd
I just can’t keep up with your attention to detail mate:)

Sulaman

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
It has come up a treat Kev, you must be stoked.

Yes please!
Most definitely, just need to work out how it all goes back together now.

Thanks for the vote on project b.

Holy crap! That is an insane project! When will it be done?
How long is a piece of string, seriously though, depends on my work load to be honest, need to pay the bills.

:smokin: Kev’s (Omori Resto) Uk ltd
I just can’t keep up with your attention to detail mate:)

Sulaman
Thanks Sulaman,

A really nice idea, maybe that way I'd get to spend more time doing my resto

project b kev there isn't enough of restos like this and its a credit to you
Thanks John,

I really want to do project b, just didn't want to bore people with the same shit, I think if no one was interested i'd still do it for myself, just not bother making it public, as ever, time will always be an issue as the focus will be mainly on the grey one from here on, that said, if I want to do it badly enough I'll make the time I suppose, also seems rude not to now it's back in the garage.

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to comment and hit the like button, also thanks to the rest of you for having a look.

Kev.

·
Registered
108 Posts
tell you what kev ive had my 33 for ten years now,us die hards love this stuff.all the technical side to the resto really appeals to me keap it going mate.

·
Registered
938 Posts
kev take my hat off to you sir. on other hand i'm glad to see you keep your mid on the right place, got to work before pleasure, and that is the right way to think!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #854
Got some more bits back from paint,

Then I must admit, I was a little daunted as to where to start putting it all back together, the amount of parts is staggering and so many still to clean and paint, after a cuppa I thought it made sense to start with the hard lines under the car, one of the things that still needed sorting, let the fun begin,

Not the cleanest,

Started by separating the lines,

Clips removed and nearly all broke in one way or another, most of the damage was done when I took them off the car way back at the beginning, but new ones ordered so not that important,

Sanded back to bare metal and a quick coat of primer to protect from the moist air for now,

Five hours later and three lines down I was ready for shooting myself, so called it a day.

Kev.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Brilliant update as every and your patience astounds me, I have similar pipes to above and simply binned then in favour of a quicker new solution i.e braided lines.

But your solution is going to look much more OEM, I really admire your dedication to your OEM+ restoration direction.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #857
Still enjoying this project so much. Something to aspire to
Hi bud,

Only 8 posts in 11 years of being a member and one of those was to comment on something I'm doing, feel kinda special:) I'll try and keep it interesting and post a little more time permitting.

Brilliant update as every and your patience astounds me, I have similar pipes to above and simply binned then in favour of a quicker new solution i.e braided lines.

But your solution is going to look much more OEM, I really admire your dedication to your OEM+ restoration direction.
Dave, mate,

My patience is well and truly tested at times, even doing the hard lines I was thinking what the hell are you doing this for, but once you see one in primer you get why, it's when I see pictures like this,

That I realise just how much shit has to go back in to just the engine bay, that's just one side and no engine, I will see it through to the end but there's still a mountain to climb, those braided hoses do sound tempting, maybe for the other one.

And by the way, I clicked the link at the bottom of your post and read back through yours from the start, you comment on mine but you've done some awesome work on yours and it's well over due an update, in fact I'm going to give it a bump in the hope you will, let me know how you went on with fitting the sills.

And thanks to the guys I didn't reply to above, every comment is read and appreciated.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Amazing

Hi kev it’s taken just over 3 weeks to read your strip n clean project and I saw I had commented on it earlier which I had forgot but thanks for replying to my comments , I’ve been on mine for 15 years now in bits and this certainly encouraging me to press on and finish it next year lol
Can’t seem to upload my engine bay but like yours there’s nothing there
Keep the updates coming definitely interesting and helping us all learn how to tackle some of these jobs and how to do it
Thank you very much it’s been a brilliant read looking forward to the rest

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am delighted to see an update and I totally appreciate your sentiment around finding time and wanting things to be right. It is astonishing how much will power these restorations take.

Please keep posting and please, by all means share Project B with us - there aren't enough threads like this on the internet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got some more bits back from paint,

Then I must admit, I was a little daunted as to where to start putting it all back together, the amount of parts is staggering and so many still to clean and paint, after a cuppa I thought it made sense to start with the hard lines under the car, one of the things that still needed sorting, let the fun begin,

Not the cleanest,

Started by separating the lines,

Clips removed and nearly all broke in one way or another, most of the damage was done when I took them off the car way back at the beginning, but new ones ordered so not that important,

Sanded back to bare metal and a quick coat of primer to protect from the moist air for now,

Five hours later and three lines down I was ready for shooting myself, so called it a day.

Kev.
Hi kev awesome work. I was just catching up on your last few post. What do you use to prime right after you sand metal parts to prevent them from rusting ?
Some ready to spray etch primer ?
I’m about to start taking my car apart Fix underbody rust. Because this is a slow process, when you repaired a section that had rust would you paint it right away to prevent it from rusting? Or you only painted when all underneath was repaired and stripped. it would take me so long to strip and repair all underbody and by the time I finish one side it may start to rust in another location Lol

841 - 860 of 866 Posts