GTR Forum banner

861 - 880 of 923 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #862
The paint job looks amazing!
And there lies the problem, it's not....

I did managed to get passed the urge to shoot myself, until I went over the paint, then it came back again, hence the lack of an update, the last few weeks have been a mix of anger, frustration, disappointment, regret and general embarrassment for trying to pretend to you guys that everything was ok, when I knew it wasn't, I'm annoyed with myself more than anything for trusting someone to do the job, that if I'm being honest, I knew didn't have the right mind set to do the job to the standard I was after, what makes things worse is these guys are really nice people who I've known for year and they genuinely think they have done a great job, which for some would be more than acceptable, just not me.

Yes I paid them and took the parts back to my garage, for the simple reason, there friendship means more to me than the money I've spent, I will sort the "imperfections" out as I go along and put things right, yes I'm gutted, but I've always been prepared to pay for my mistakes and will do so on this occasion, albeit an expensive mistake, you live and learn, as they say.

More to come though, just need to shake off this shitty, can't be arsed feeling, I'll try and get something up towards the end of this week.

Kev.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Chin up Kev. We all feel your perfectionist pain.
On the flip side if the paint’s too good you’ll just end up paranoid and never drive it.

·
Premium Member
5,882 Posts
much can be achieved on poor paintwork with some fine sanding and a polishing machine, I am sure you can sort it to the standard you want.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Man, I am sorry to hear that honestly. I hope you can sort it out with some sanding and polishing like Simon mentioned. Take a rest from the car for a bit and get some fresh air and a good night's sleep man. If it's too perfect like lightspeed mentioned then it would be a garage queen. For me, personally, it looked pretty good. But those are pictures and I probably can't see that well from a picture. Just look on the bright side, at least you didn't buy a $160,000 USD Tesla that has blemishes and bad paint from the factory.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
Morning all,

much can be achieved on poor paintwork with some fine sanding and a polishing machine, I am sure you can sort it to the standard you want.
Yes your right, imperfections in the paint can be worked on, most of the issues for me are in the poor prep work, some can only be seen if caught in the right light, but they're still there, so the only way to fix them is to remove the paint and prep properly, some of which I've already started.

Anyway, I've decided to stop bitching about it, what's done is done, I'll sort it and update as I go along.

So, moving on, I said I'd get something up this week, here's a few picks of the bits I've been doing, nothing exciting really, I found myself needing to make a little space in the garage to allow me to fit the lighting I finally got round to buying and also need to have a good tidy up, get some organisation to all my stuff.

Just previewed this post before uploading and wanted to apologise for the poor photos, over exposed and looking washed out, they were all taken with my phone as the old camera has gone missing somewhere, need to up my image game so think it's time for a new camera.

Started by cleaning a few bits up that I needed to put the diff back together,

Then added a few more because there is a minimum charge at the zinc platers,

Got them back,

And made a start,

Then fitted it in the rear sub frame,

Along with some other bits and new mounting bushes,

Hung the front sub frame and a few brackets back in place for now, just to get it out the way,

The front bar had been quite badly bent at some time in the past and very poorly repaired, so I tried to source another and was met by stupid prices yet again, so had mine blasted, drilled and ground out the bad repair welds, straightened out the bits and put it back together, then had it blasted again and powder coated, didn't turn out to bad,

I'll put some more up later, just time to start my day.

Kev.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
Evening to anyone who is out there, a few more pics for your perusal, I thought I'd have a go at putting the doors back together, but a couple of bits needed sorting first, dirty door wiring loom,

Gave it a wash, came up like new,

Dug the hinges out and even though this is how they came from the factory,

I couldn't put them back on like that, so blasted them and gave them a coat of paint,

Also needed to tidy these up,

So stripped, blasted and buffed them ready to be zinc plated again,

Bonnet catch as well,

Refitted some of the sound deadening, try as I may, I couldn't find the same type as was fitted originally, other than in really small pieces, every thing is foil backed these days, ended up buying an 8m x 500mm roll, should be enough,

And lastly for now I managed to get some calipers, they need a re-ferb but I'm ok with that, 4 pot rears, 6 pot front, just need to sort the brackets now,

Kev.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #869
As always loving your work
Thank you Si, bit of a ghost town round here these days and now we just have the views rounded to the nearest thousand I can't even tell if anyone is viewing the thread at all, maybe time to call it a day, just getting as I can't be arsed to post anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,882 Posts
That would be a massive shame, this is one of my all time favourite threads on here tbh, the standard and dedication is amazing and inspiring.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Please don't stop posting Kev, I've learnt so much from your build and how you do things. It's really like a picture book tutorial that amazes every time you post. I know this place isn't as busy as it once was but there are still some of us that really appreciate and admire your work.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #874
Thank you so much for the replies, as long as there is an interest I will keep posting, I wasn't fishing for comments, just wanted to know there was still people viewing the thread, as I said above, now the view counter as been changed, I have no way of judging interest in what I post and without the interest, what's the point, or so I thought, but thanks to you guys there's more to come.

Again, thank you.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thank you so much for the replies, as long as there is an interest I will keep posting, I wasn't fishing for comments, just wanted to know there was still people viewing the thread, as I said above, now the view counter as been changed, I have no way of judging interest in what I post and without the interest, what's the point, or so I thought, but thanks to you guys there's more to come.

Again, thank you.
Hi Kev

I’m still here, read your first post when you first posted the garage in build.
I was using some of your pictures for a reference for a mate of mine who’s got his R32 stripped & now on the rebuild.
Keep up the epic quality of work Kev.
It’s so hard keeping up with so many forum threads, Facebook projects & YouTube’s & also working epic hours & also working on my R32! No wonder time is flying past in a flash!

Cheers Brett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Hi Kev, long time no read! (Or post for that matter...) I don't really like the new forum format, so I've not been on here a lot recently to read or post. It might be a lot easier on mobile now, but it has just lost... something... for me. :unsure: Being busy doesn't help either, as I'm sure you know.

Anyway, I was glad to get an email to say you'd posted on here! Progress is looking fantastic, a shame you're not happy with the paintwork, but the colour is gorgeous in your pics. :) This is definitely one of the best threads on here and is always worth a read, so I honestly hope you find the time to keep updating it! I need to pull my finger out and do mine again really, I've done a few bits again but nothing major yet. I seem to have many GTR bits on the go and not fully finished many of them yet. :sneaky:

Every time I read a new post on your build I get an idea for mine. This time it is the sound deadening stuff, haha. How thin is it? What is it called? I have my passenger seat out atm to feed the AEM wideband sensor wiring, so it wouldn't take a lot to take the driver seat out and get the carpet up...

Oh, I did find out today my Nismo oil cooler won't fit behind the OEM bumper, and now I need the 400R / S-Tune fromt. Bugger. But hey, at least now I know I didn't put the oil cooler shroud together wrong. Lol

Keep up the great work, another vote for Project B from me too, btw!

Ben

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Looks really good Kev please keep posting. You are inspiring may of us to get back out in the garage
I would also be interested in more detail on how you prepare parts for zinc coating.
Have you dried using a vibrating tumbler?
@Mookistar if he is ready this can the project threads section be moved up to the main page as after the forum re-arrange they are very hidden

861 - 880 of 923 Posts