GTR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 890 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Update, when my wife told me I had issues I laughed, but I think she was right.

When I removed the interior of the car, I noticed the sound deadening had blistered in places, I think it's probably down to the heat from the engine and exhaust over a number of years, plus all the quilt insulation was stuck to it, and you know when something just bugs you,

It's always been my intention to paint the inside of the car, even though it will never be seen, it's just nice to know it's been done, anal I know, but hey...

So I thought easy option, remove the fluffy bit with a wire brush, then cut, remove and replace the blistered bit,

Tried and failed miserably,

Plan b, remove the lot and start again,

After a lot of time with a heat gun and a scraper, got some thinners a brush and plenty of rags, to remove the residue,

And after seven hours, yes seven, god knows where it went,

The front half was done, I think I'm going to remove the seam sealer and replace that as well, seems rude not to.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Hi all, had a bit of running about to do this morning for supplies for next week, and decided to take the rest of the day off and have a couple of hours degreasing my engine bay, yeh right!!!.

Started out by looking for my half full gallon can of gunk degreaser, which, miraculously, had emptied it's self all over my old mans engine bay (saves me looking for a fathers day gift I suppose), so I thought I'll use some of the thinners I've got, you can see where this is going can't you,

Brushed it on, then wiped it with a rag, and that happened, never entered my head that paint, which had been on an engine bay for 25 years, would come off with such a small amount of effort,

But once you start, it kinda gets addictive,

[/IMG]

I found that if I used scotch bright pads with the thinners, then a cloth with some clean thinners to wipe down, it was a bit easier, the runs in the black paint are factory, and there was a lot of them, as you can see in the first few photos,

Once I'd removed most of the paint, it revealed that the blind apprentice zoologist that they'd hired to apply the seem sealer, was still learning,

Curve? What curve,

Then I came across this little gem, if you look closely, you can see where the little Japanese monkey that the zoologist was studying, has chewed the hole out to allow the clutch master cylinder to be recessed into the bulk head, I think the assumption was, it could be covered with seem sealer,

This was where I decided to remove all the seam sealer and replace it with new, hopefully a lot neater, then again I don't have 50 to do in the same day I suppose,

I am going to tidy the jagged edges of course,

This is where my finger ends gave up, so going to do the other side tomorrow time permitting,

Sorry if this stage is a little boring, I just feel it needs to be done, in for a penny and all that.

Hope your all well, time for a bud.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Cheers Rich, and congrats on your purchase, the first two pics of your car aren't very clear and it still looks good, bet it looks amazing face to face, just had a flick through your MX5 build, only got up to page 6, but nice work, nothing like doing it yourself, only problem is, there's no one to blame if it all goes tits up.

Regards, Kev.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Hi all, managed to get a little time over the next couple of days, so thought I'd have a go at making a rotisserie, nothing to fancy, as long as it has a bit of adjustment, and makes stripping the under side of the shell easier, I'll be happy.

Looked at one or two on youtube and took a few measurements off the car, then went and got some box section and other bits,

Got the welder out and did a bit of this,

Welded some gusset plates in, one for strength, two so I had somewhere to mount a hydraulic ram to at a later date, if I choose to, just need a couple of holes drilling for the mounting pin, the frames laid on it's back in this picture,

Fitted some foot plates, going to use these to mount casters to so I can move the shell out of the way when I'm not working on it,

Pivot tubes, if that's what they're called, welded to a slightly smaller box section, to allow it to be slid inside the main upright, this is to make it possible to adjust the height of the shell while working on it,

Again, gusset plates added for the same reasons as above,

This is the front mounting bracket, the two short pieces of box section attach to the shell in the same place as the bumper reinforcement bar,

This was when I realised I was a couple of pieces of box section short, I'll go get them tomorrow and try to get it finished before I go back to work.

Anyway a couple of pics of where I'm up to,

Back tomorrow, if I get it finished????

·
Registered
497 Posts
Fantastic stuff mate, keep it going the way you are. This is the first thread I check every morning for updates while the coffee gets ready.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Fantastic stuff mate, keep it going the way you are. This is the first thread I check every morning for updates while the coffee gets ready.
Cheers bud, nice to know someone's reading it, makes it worth while, what's the time difference between here and Sweden ?

81 - 100 of 890 Posts