GTR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 889 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks bud, are you going to TOTB, love to see your car. I know it's not finished yet, just assuming it will be I suppose.
yeah i'll be there mate, I payed my entry fee in january so it gave me a bit of a deadline. It will be close though:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Cheers Rich, and congrats on your purchase, the first two pics of your car aren't very clear and it still looks good, bet it looks amazing face to face, just had a flick through your MX5 build, only got up to page 6, but nice work, nothing like doing it yourself, only problem is, there's no one to blame if it all goes tits up.

Regards, Kev.
Nice one mate, not sure if you got to the head work yet but I am really pleased with the result.

More importantly that welding is superb!:bowdown1:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
midnightclub,
skid,
cox,
speedingpanther,
Chris shrews,
Rich_A

Can't believe how far and wide your all spread, I love this forum, I'm just a guy in a shed, in a little village in Yorkshire, messing with my car and doing a bit of welding , yet you all find it interesting enough to take the time to log in and have a look, let alone comment.

Thankyou, to all of you,

Be back later with an update,

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Kev - to be honest bud... 50% of me is an obvious jealousy built up of talent, drive and space (garage really does make a difference for which many of us don't have - makes a world of difference).
The other 50% is a mix of being pissed off I don't have the time oh and again the space :p

Hahahahaaaa

Keep it up

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Back again,

Had a think about what I was doing last night, and decided to change the design a little bit to allow for more adjustment, which ended up absorbing quite a bit of time, also made a couple of mistakes that needed rectifying, but hey, shit happens, anyway, went and got the box section first thing this morning,

The bits I forgot yesterday,

And the extra bits to make the clamps I added,

Cut one side of the box off, to make a channel section,

cleaned them up and got shut of the sharp edges

Tacked those to the two inner tube sections,

Then welded them all way round,

Cut and welded some threaded bar to the sides,

Drilled and cleaned up the face plates,

Attached a couple of nuts to the back, as locators for the adjustment rod,

Then slid it in to place to check clearances,

Made the bracket for the adjustment bar, had to do this twice because the heat from the weld pulled the nuts out of alignment, and made it impossible to screw the threaded bar in place,

Slid the bracket into the top of the front mount, then sat the mount inside the clamp,

and attached the front plate,

Welded some captive nuts to the under side of the rear mount,

Rear mount on, attaches to the same place as the bumper bar

Front mount on, this was one of the **** ups, the two mount bars were about 3mm to close together, so had to be cut off and re-welded, it then took about an hour to find the two original nuts and bolts to attach it, because the thread isn't metric

Rear stand on and clamped in position, left ropes on for now, just to be safe,

And the front, this one as the adjuster, hopefully this will help me find the centre of gravity of the shell, so it doesn't flip over uncontrollably,

Didn't managed to get it finished, but not far off, try and get an hour tomorrow afternoon if I can, should see it finished.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
midnightclub,
skid,
cox,
speedingpanther,
Chris shrews,
Rich_A

Can't believe how far and wide your all spread, I love this forum, I'm just a guy in a shed, in a little village in Yorkshire, messing with my car and doing a bit of welding , yet you all find it interesting enough to take the time to log in and have a look, let alone comment.

Thankyou, to all of you,

Be back later with an update,

Regards Kev.
:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

Top Man.

What is the plan and spec of the car? Having seen your welding skills, it seems a shame not to make a really nice cage and shell......:chuckle:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Kev - to be honest bud... 50% of me is an obvious jealousy built up of talent, drive and space (garage really does make a difference for which many of us don't have - makes a world of difference).
The other 50% is a mix of being pissed off I don't have the time oh and again the space :p

Hahahahaaaa

Keep it up
PM sent.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Just a couple of pics,

"IT WORKS"

Amazing how much crap fell out once it was rotated and it allowed me to get a better look at the jacking damage,

And every thing else come to think of it,

Had a bit of a go at repairing the sill damage, still needs a bit of fine tuning,

Can't believe how much easier this will make things, £200 for the box section and plate, and a days welding, worth every penny.

Don't have any proper power in the garage yet, just using an extension cable, so think I'll sort that out next, I know, a bit random, but it stops me getting board.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'll just add, I'm a daily viewer. You've kick started me to do similar to my R32. Now I've just built my garage.
It's not to your garage standard though.
Very impressed with all your work so far.
One question, Do you have a day job?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I'll just add, I'm a daily viewer. You've kick started me to do similar to my R32. Now I've just built my garage.
It's not to your garage standard though.
Very impressed with all your work so far.
One question, Do you have a day job?
Do I have a day job, there's time I wish I didn't.

Yes, I'm a builder, I work at least 50 hours a week on average, this morning I was up at 4:30, in the garage at 5:00, went to drop some materials off for the plasterer at 6:00, drove 20 miles to my brothers to get a new lock for my van, then came back and fitted it, electrical wholesalers for 8:30, back to the job for 9:30, client changed her mind about her choice lights, so took them back and got them swapped, back to the job for 10:30, then spent the next few hours second fixing electrics, managed to have another hour or so in the garage, went to the merchants to get materials for tomorrow, got home, posted this update, had a shower, then went to meet another client to look at a new job they want doing, got back checked the thread, and was asked if I had a day job.

Seriously though, I love what I do, I've had a few jobs in my life that's taught me a wide range of different things, all of them come in handy from time to time, I'm no one special, just like working with my hands, and love to make the most of my days.

Don't forget, life's for living.

Regards Kev.

101 - 120 of 889 Posts