GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are they just hype? are the claimed benefits and improvements just a psycological thing? ie smoother running of the engine, better responce, more mpg blah blah...

id like to hear some of the tuners comments ie Abbey, has any with and without tests been done on the dynpack?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Earthing kits

Hi Yunis,

Put one on mine for safety more than anything else!

At least you know you are not going to suffer from 'bad' earths. Can't honestly say it made any improvement but then again I have not had any electrical problems either and it adds a bit of colour to the engine bay.

Kev

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks kev, just seen a few on ebay, but over priced, i think ill make my own own up.

have you got any pictures, or any info on what is required to make one up?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Earth kit

Hi Yunis,

Don't have any pics but it is quite simple.

The earth kit has 6 or so wires that locate to different points around the engine bay. Pretty sure you could pick this up form pictures of engine bays and one obviously goes to the earth terminal on the battery. The HKS kit has a circular 'hub' that all the wires start from. This 'hub' is then bolted to the inner wing. I bolted mine to one of the bolts that holds the top IC pipe from the the plenum to the inner wing down by the washer bottle.

If I find any pics I will send then to you.

Kev

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I’d be interested in this too. In my opinion its more of a prevention for any earth faults developing or worsening, rather than a miracle cure to make the car run better and give 50 bhp extra, (although if you buy an HKS one and put the sticker on the outside you should get the power increase ;) ).

In theory if all existing connections are perfect, I guess it won’t help, but on a 15 year old car, (like mine), I can appreciate it may help matters caused by poor earths and corroded connections.

I’m probably going to make my own, once I’ve found some funky blue power cable to match the colour of the car :rolleyes: , but I’d be interested on confirmation of where the wires are supposed to be connected to, (although I believe its been mentioned on here once before).

My thoughts are that if it possibly will help prevent faults, and more importantly looks good :smokin: , its gotta be worth a go, although I couldn't justify the price for a pukka HKS one. :eek:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Its simple electronics.

Your car has a number of sensors on it that rely on voltage difference between value and ground/earth. When your earth connection(s) are poor, in other words there is a resistance to them, then you drop "volts" across the resistance. So what started off as say 1.9V from your AFM say will be less than that at the ECU. (Not a lot less, but less).

So the benefits are usually the earthing kits use low resistance copper wire with good terminals that should make a low loss, good connection to ground (or the battery earth). The HKS approach is a good engineering solution as it places less reliance on the bodywork as an earth run. That maximises the voltage values everywhere and current flow (as appropriate). You experience it more on older cars simply because with age the general connections corrode, earth connections become rusty (and therefore "lossy"), plus factory OEM earth wires often don't even start as top quality and so on.

If you haven't a problem, then fitting it won't improve anything because there is nothing to fix, if you have a problem its a good mod. Whatever, it will not make matters worse!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If you haven't a problem, then fitting it won't improve anything because there is nothing to fix, if you have a problem its a good mod. Whatever, it will not make matters worse!
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but failing. :eek: :D

So is there a recognised set of locations to connect the circle earth wires to, or do you just sling as many as you can to anything that looks electronical. :rolleyes:

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
I bought a great kit off of E-Bay for £40! :eek:

Came with all gold connectors, 99.999% oxygen free
THICK guage wires and a full fitting instructions.

I may organsie a group buy with a discount if any are interested?
I'll E-Mail the supplier and find out what he'll offer.

After seeing my kit, by brother thought he could do his
own, but spent £63 in Halfords buying all the bits! :(

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
that reminds me - I think I got one of these a while ago but have never fitted it. It too has big gold terminals and a hefty negative battery clamp replacement. I must pop it on.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i have one like that too scott and as has been said before It does not seem to make a noticable difference but it looks pretty and must be better than the alternative!! :confused:

JAY

·
Registered
519 Posts
Scott

I would be interested in a grounding kit for my R33 GTR to improve the engine bay looks.

So if you can get a group buy together for the bits I would be intersted.

cheers

Lee

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
id be interested in a group buy too. but the terminals that bolt on to various parts of the engine are the gold plated too? The link on ebay seemed to show they wernt and the wires were 8 gauge and not 4 gauge which they should be?

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
The current http://www.groundingkits.co.uk/ grounding kit
has been designed for the R32, with its battery under the
bonnet.

I have asked the supplier if he can develope a kit for the
33's and 4's.

I'll let you know his reply.
If he doesn't, it'll have to be an R32 group buy only. :(

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scot but can you ask him to use gold plated terminals instead of what looks like alu, ie the bits that bolt on to the earthing points. Also why is he using 8 Gauge cable? I`ve most other kits to use 4 Gauge.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts
Yanis,

I have no idea abut the guage, but its pretty thick, (5mm Dia + insulation),
when compared the any other earth on my car.

You could probably run your house on one length.

Do you need more?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts