1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers matey...mate told me last nite too...the housings r chinese ones....

same bloke told me big fat holsets can bought cheapo from stateside...100-200quid coz theyre old truck turbos...spool like heck tho

·
Registered
908 Posts
you can buy form old ttrucks, but are internally wastegated, and on a petrol car will have amazing boost creep, and welding it shut is a uggly job, so that makes you also have to buy a housing. and im not shure but i dont think the inlet housings arent the same as these performance ones :p

·
Registered
834 Posts
Would like confirmation on this. As I have a GS racing hx40.. if its chinese crap i'd rather not risk using it!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ok cheers,

I'll double check with my mate that works for holset. Hes already offered to try and get me a decent deal on a replacement!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought a HX40 from this company in April. I have done no more than 300 miles at low boost and I was told on Monday that the seals have failed on the unit and as a result the car is bellowing smoke from the oil that is passing the seal under pressure.

I have contacted the company as it should have a 5 month warranty left, but as it stands I have had no reply.

Its true what is commonly said though, if it looks too good to be true, then it more than likely is.

Not best impressed with this company and their product :(

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I bought a HX40 from this company in April. I have done no more than 300 miles at low boost and I was told on Monday that the seals have failed on the unit and as a result the car is bellowing smoke from the oil that is passing the seal under pressure.

I have contacted the company as it should have a 5 month warranty left, but as it stands I have had no reply.

Its true what is commonly said though, if it looks too good to be true, then it more than likely is.

Not best impressed with this company and their product :(
Did you install it with an oil restrictor?

·
Registered
198 Posts
From service manual hx40:

www.cummins.com/turbos - service repair manuals

Holset permits oil return pipes to decline at an overall angle of not less than 30 degrees below horizontal. All turbocharger applications require a pipe of internal diameter greater than 19 mm which has integrated connectors. To ensure oil returns into the engine under all operating conditions, the return connection into the engine sump must not be submerged and the outlet flange of the turbocharger must be 50 mm above the maximum oil level of the engine sump pan. Crankcase pressure should be limited ideally to 0.8 kPa (0.12 lbf/in2) but 1.4 kPa (0.20 lbf/in2) can be accepted by reference to Holset.

Oil pressure of 150 kPa (20 lbf/in2) must show at the oil inlet within 3 - 4 seconds of engine firing to prevent damage to turbocharger bearing system. A flexible supply pipe is recommended.

The minimum oil pressure when the engine is on load must be 210 kPa (30 lbf/in2). Maximum permissible operating pressure is 500 kPa (72 lbf/in2) although 600 kPa (88 lbf/in2) is permitted during cold start up. Under idling conditions pressure should not fall below 70 kPa (10 lbf/in2).

Recommended oil flows for the turbochargers are 2 litre/min at idle and 3 litre/min above maximumtorque speed.

·
Banned
109 Posts
gs racing, are they full of shit??

would like to know if basically gs-racing holset turbos are any good.

are they fakers or real deal with quality product?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I worked at Cummins for a year and found that most of the new turbos had China stamped on the core which leads me to believe that some of the newer turbos are Chinese made....

·
Registered
393 Posts
yep every thing nearly in this would, is chinese made, than a brand name get stuck on it and we are then charged double for it lol:runaway:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not everything (well not anymore) A lot of outsourcing is going to India for example Rods were being manufactured in India for Cummins.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Guys,

I worked at Holset in Huddersfield. It is true that Holset do manufacture turbos out of theri facility in Wuxi in China but they are 100% Holset units.......not nasty rip-offs!! Its funny though as i am trying to get hold of a "pukka" Super HX40 for my own car and can I find one anywhere for a reasonable price.......er....no!!!

Andy....did you get your GS Racing unit repaired or did you bin it? I remember seeing you with Bernie at one of the shows lat year after it had blown....not a happy bunny!!

What manifold are or were you using also Andy....just out of interest?

Cheers

Andy B

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bit of a thread dig up but,

I have 2 holset HX40 turbo's that i'm looking to sell, i cant seem to find any information on them and if they are acceptable on RB's?

They have now shaft play and ARE SECOND HAND but i cant seem to find a price for them?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts