GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my budy and coincidentally the guy i bought my car from(400bhp when i bought it-last time he was in it) has acquired a pretty sweet 1000cc gsx-r.He recently had it remapped and he claims its now running 161bhp(up from 149) at the back wheel !My r32 is running 523.4 at the hubs..

He wants to go head to head..off the line and then 2nd gear rolling and go..!
How badly am i gona get whopped?!Any experiences or tales?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
well i have both a 650hp 32 gtr and a 06 gsxr1000
i think my gtr would be quicker of the line because of better traction but in a quarter mile sprint i don't really know who would win my bike is lightning fast but by car is also a beast but i suspect the bike would win ...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Ive run against a mildly tuned 98 R1, from about 100kmh and up to 210 we were side by side, but I left the bike behind from 210kmh and up, he didnt have a chance.

Im currently running 584 / 680nm at all 4 hubs.

PS! I made a thread similar to this a while ago, and it dissapeared. I guess its against the rules to make threads like these?

Asim

·
Registered
885 Posts
my budy and coincidentally the guy i bought my car from(400bhp when i bought it-last time he was in it) has acquired a pretty sweet 1000cc gsx-r.He recently had it remapped and he claims its now running 161bhp(up from 149) at the back wheel !My r32 is running 523.4 at the hubs..

He wants to go head to head..off the line and then 2nd gear rolling and go..!
How badly am i gona get whopped?!Any experiences or tales?
......................shakes head and walks away.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
you should, if you launch well, be able to take the bike from off the line. Power up top comes at the expense of low-down grunt when tuning a bike. But once he's in his powerband, kiss your ass goodbye...until aerodynamics take over. Pretty much every bike sucks aerodynamically, unless it's been tuned in a wind tunnel like the Hayabusa, so the thing will slow up the faster you're going. You need lots of power, maybe 200bhp or so, to pull a bike through the air at over 130-140mph, with any decent sort of acceleration.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You need lots of power, maybe 200bhp or so, to pull a bike through the air at over 130-140mph, with any decent sort of acceleration.
mate have you ever rode a gsxr 1000 a newish one... it'll do 180mph and maybe a little more even in standard form
upto around 160mph they still acclerate like a guided missile ...!! don't forget they weigh less than a 170 kilos
by the way i hate hyabusa's there over weight long ugly things ..

i've never had my 32gtr upto that speed so i don't know what it would acclerate like near the top end

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
find a private track give it a go and report back...

just don't do anything silly and keep in a straight line, at 160mph your car will be able to turn and brake mush better than the bike so give him plenty of space.

I reckon up to 150-160 a bike will win unless the guy on it weighs 30 stone or something.

GTR will probably take it up to 60 -70 mph then the bike will claw it back to 150-160 then it's the GTR's turn again until areodynamics/gearing stop you.

/Steve

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
My 500hp R32, 2 up, did a R1 quite easily from both rolling start and from a standstill.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
@ Miragev; I like my busa so don't go spoiling it :runaway: :chuckle:

Any decent biker will outrun you on a decently set up gsxr 1000.
I've never come across any car around here that even comes close to the acceleration of my busa. But then again I've never really looked for it either :D

All I can say is; the old busa theoreticly does a 1/4 mile in 9.77 seconds @ 147.7 mph and the list goes on;

0–60 mph: 2.47 s
0–100 mph: 4.91 s
0–125 mph: 6.91 s
0–150 mph: 9.88 s
0–180 mph: 15.62 s
Top speed: 190.6 mph (306.7 km/h)
So A decent new gsxr 1000 shouldn't be to far behind :thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wake up guys. There's no way a 600bhp gtr will beat a modern 1000cc gsxr. Get your gtr close to 1000hp and you might have a chance.

The mighty bugatti veyron does 60-130mph in 5.3s which is around the same as a new 1000cc gsxr. That might give you some idea how much power is needed to beat a bike. A 800hp supra can't do it - I know that much. :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Bike acceleration figures quoted are normally theoretical. Put an average rider on a GSXR1000, and they won't get close to the published numbers. (Don't believe me? Go watch a RWYB day for bikes)

Unfortunately a motorcycle with that much power wheelies in real life, but not on the rolling road acceleration tests. :)

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
From my experience at the strip, the few times I have raced good bikes when I've been in a good GTR (10 sec) I have never lost a race.

The bikes tend to be very slow off the line and take a while to get settled and fully underway, even at 1/2 track they are usually well behind but accross the finish line they are usually not far behind and gaining fast, and come flying past as I've hit the brakes.

I'm pretty sure with a good strong 10 sec GTR (usually around 650-750hp) the good bike would win over 500 meters or more from a standing start.

I've raced a large bike from around 100mph to 180mph in a low 10 second GTR and he couldn't get past, I could see him in my mirror lying on the tank, his wrist nearly twisting the trottle right off, hahaha, the guy was freaking out and not happy at all, obviously he hadn't had a car play with him before and win.

Maybe there is some truth to the big bikes not being "that fast accellerating" at higher speeds.

Rob

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
most bikers, well, reasonable ones, clearly understand that there is ENORMOUS skill required in launching a powerful bike. Just yank on the throttle and dump the clutch? You will be off your bike, either in a wheelie or uncontrollable fishtailing. And for the more rational - most riders launch with enough caution that they lose time and like Rob said, "take time to get the bike settled in", before really giving it power.

There are aerodynamic issues at higher speeds. I've ridden at 150+mph and even in a tuck I could feel I was about as aerodynamic as a brick going sideways. Power can overcome that of course, but a car with a lot of power will overcome wind resistance better.

Anyways, there are simply too many variables, particularly with bikes, to make any reasonable comparison.

And also note....the bikes I've been through - Ducati 1098R, then now BMW K1300R, and my pre-ordered BMW S1000RR - lots of power, but they all have TRACTION CONTROL. I could save a ton by buying a GSX-R, but that's the reason I didn't go Japanese. Launch control on a bike is freaking invaluable!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've raced a large bike from around 100mph to 180mph in a low 10 second GTR and he couldn't get past, I could see him in my mirror lying on the tank, his wrist nearly twisting the trottle right off, hahaha, the guy was freaking out and not happy at all, obviously he hadn't had a car play with him before and win.

Maybe there is some truth to the big bikes not being "that fast accellerating" at higher speeds.

Rob
In all fairness when doing these kind of tests it would be nice if the races were planned and not some random highway pulls with unknown bikers. If the biker doesn't know how powerful the car is he might just drop a gear or two thinking "Cars are slow. I can beat them in fourth gear no problem!".

However, as you said when doing high speeds like 185mph a powerful car will start gaining the bike and eventually go past it. Driving this fast in a normal road is kind of difficult though and many times the races end before that. In a 50-160mph acceleration a litre bike is fast as hell and it will pull away from a 600hp gtr if the biker knows what he's doing.

YouTube - supravsbikes3
As you can see the supra starts gaining a gsxr1000 in the end of 5th gear so they are doing very high speeds at this point. This car did [email protected] on a 1/4mile.

I know that you (Rob) know quite alot about racing and many times bikers may not be that fast in a quarter mile but a "race from a roll" type of thing is a totally different ball game.

Usually bikers underestimate how fast a car could be which is great of us car drivers. Let's not make the same mistake. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts