GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a project that I finally finished today, months after starting it. I have a bit of a habit for creating follies that cost far too much to make and have little purpose but this one does have some use. The initial concept started life as a bit of a doodle and then ended up being brought to reality as a stand for my old stereo that was made from laser cut stainless steel sheet and tubes for the corners. It was years in the making and, when complete, the wife said it looked a bit industrial and didn't really want it in the house. Back to the drawing board, I decided to make it from toughened glass and stainless steel tubes, the result was pretty impressive and it was allowed in the house this time. Anyway, it got me thinking about making a coffee table with the GT R logo as a feature in it and the people who cut the glass said it was possible to sandblast the logo to the underside. Just to finish it off I thought I'd get the corner retainers engraved as well.

I owe Endo a massive thanks for sorting the artwork format for me, without it, it would've been a lot longer in the making.

Anyway, here it is at last, hope you like it. I keep telling myself that, all the time it's in the house, there's a chance I might get myself another GT-R

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
You should sell these!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Very creative.

Could you not colour the letter R? Just to give it the final touch although it looks fantastic as is:)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Could you not colour the letter R? Just to give it the final touch although it looks fantastic as is:)
Or perhaps backlight the R in red?:chuckle:

Joking aside, nice job mate, very nice. Now get another car to go with it.

Could you do me a dining room table by the way?:chuckle:

Satan

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it is possible to do it as I have already considered it and have the artwork for it. A coloured glass powder is applied to the reverse at the toughening stage and is fused in. I never got a price for it but might do if I get time. The trouble is, I have about 10 projects of various sizes on the go as well as trying to run my business so nothing ever gets done quickly!

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
That is AWESOME!

So, can these be made and at what cost? £££.

I can see a potential group buy looming.....

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is AWESOME!
Thanks, glad you like it

So, can these be made and at what cost? £££.
Obviously the first one will always cost more than any subsequent ones but none of it was cheap, that's for sure. I'll work out what the cost is (was), as near as possible, when I'm back in the office. When I had the glass panels made, I got some plain ones done for another table and I got two with the GT-R logo, one at 300mm wide and one at 200mm wide but I know what the individual costs are.

I can see a potential group buy looming.....
Maybe, maybe not. We'll see what sort of price the are.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
You need to replace the sofa for a couple of Carbon bucket seats!!!

Just out of interest, and I love what you have done, how does it stand with the copy right laws??

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just out of interest, and I love what you have done, how does it stand with the copy right laws??
Yes, it's a good question and something I did actually consider before I started it but I think Nissan would probably turn a blind eye to a one off item that was for personal use rather than for commercial gain. I'd certainly have to look into it further if I was to make any more.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yeah, I guess so, as I have also "made" one or two GTR objects but not like your coffee table though, I did a GTR lighter and some GTR centres for my old Compomotive wheels

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,032 Posts
I have an ongoing project using unfit for purpose GT-R parts.

If I can get the basics sorted in the new year, then there will be a couple for sale here. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts