GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls, new to this forum and just wanted some advice. I am on the borderline of buying an r32 gt-r, upgrading from an s13 silvia.

I just wanted to ask you guys what it is like to own a gt-r financially wise. I'm not talking about money spent on upgrades, (maintenance and repairs only). What should i look out for when buying the gt-r....what is notorious for being damaged/dodgy. Thanks very much for the input, hazza:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
loads of threads on here about this bud.... have a search through ;) I read up alot and must admit i was still shocked even after being told how much they cost to run.

I get approx 150 miles to a full tank of petrol, have spent £5-600 this month just on wear and tear items ie oils, pads and fluids etc plus insurance costs.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
minty**r32** said:
I get approx 150 miles to a full tank of petrol
There's something wrong with your car. That's 9mpg :confused:

Even caning the death out of mine I get 16mpg!!

You should be able to get 20mpg or close to it if you dont drive like a lunatic everywhere. Spark plugs are £50 a set, oil+filter costs the same as any other car and is just as easy to change yourself as any other car.
Tyres - depends on size and brand but 255/40ZR17 is a popular size and you can get cheap ones for <£70 a corner or good ones for <£100 a corner.
Cant remember prices on discs/pads
Workshop manual is available as a pdf file.
Upgrades can be had for cheap if you know what you're doing or cripplingly expensive if you dont (example - Walbro fuel pump £95, Nismo fuel pump £300 !)

HTH :)

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
minty**r32** said:
l
I get approx 150 miles to a full tank of petrol, have spent £5-600 this month just on wear and tear items ie oils, pads and fluids etc plus insurance costs.
What state of tune is your car.
I know that my car is fairly thursty around Plymouth with all those hills and stop starts, Its quite frightening, but out of the city i get around 300 - 320 on a full tank.
managed Dunkirk - Plymouth once:) on a tank.

I dont think normal servicing is all that bad, like Pikey says shop around, change the oil yourself. It only gets expensive when you start replacing things with uprated parts and tuning.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have to say in the 12 months I've had my GTR it's costs of ownership and maintenance have been less than my Golf GTI.

I do use mine as a pure weekend toy, only get it out for day's out, meets and track days.

This year I've covered about 3500 miles, had one service, had to replace to suspension arms for the mot and fit some 0.8 mm gapped plugs and that is it!!.

So all in all I've spent no more than £500 on the car and had absolutely no problems. It did have the cambelt done prior to purchase and new tyres fitted.

In the same time I've spent over £1500 on my golf !!!!.

I was lucky enough to be in a position to buy the car cash so it really don't cost much to own.

It's going in for a load of mods in May and I've saved 2k for that.

So to summarise I'd say a resonably cheap car to own and run. I'm also 33 so insurance is cheaper for me on my car than it is for my girlfriend to insure her golf.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hodgie said:
What state of tune is your car.
I know that my car is fairly thursty around Plymouth with all those hills and stop starts, Its quite frightening, but out of the city i get around 300 - 320 on a full tank.
managed Dunkirk - Plymouth once:) on a tank.

I dont think normal servicing is all that bad, like Pikey says shop around, change the oil yourself. It only gets expensive when you start replacing things with uprated parts and tuning.
my bad lol.... got a little carried away converting the kms to miles :eek:

out of town driving 300 miles to a tank is about right... round town is shocking though, but in fairness i use the car as a weekend toy so make the most of it when i take it out ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
DAM i can only get 200-260 miles from tank, thats normal driving mind u HEHE, driving miss daisy, picking up the sluts at night, then down to south end for the street racing.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Never saw mine for 2 weeks untill last Sunday , it lives in the Garage .I appreciate it more when I use it then .Saying that does not cost me much as Winter time it gets very little use. (the car that is)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I also went from an S13 200sx to a R32 GTR and to be honest the running costs are a bit higher as you would imagine!
I think that because you can get R32s for stupid money people lose sight of the fact that Skylines are in the Porsche 911 class of car. If you compare the running costs to this they are quite reasonable.

Also many R32s are getting on a bit and certain things will need attention. Stuff like suspension bushes engine mounts airflow meters etc. The rear suspension is similar to the S13 and the bushes go in the same way.

When everything is working they are not that expensive to run ( depending on tune of course ;) ) But when things do go you have to remember that the parts are very well engineered therefore not cheap to replace.
Also remember six of everything for engine! and 2 turbos, AFM's!
My main concern is body panels which are a bit on the expensive side if someone gets you in th car park, but even these are getting easier to source in the UK as more cars come across.

My only regret about upgrading to an R32 is that I should have kept my 200sx as well! Read the J tuner article this month and its made me miss it :rolleyes: :D

Just noticed you are from Australia, which will probably make getting bits much easier and cheaper! ( lucky for some! )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks very much for all the input and advice people, it's much appreciated. Sorry, i should have done a search on this first..my bad;)

I had a test drive in a R32 GT-R with basic mods (not boosted), and i must say, it was the most exhilerating drive of my life. No exaggerating either.....this thing BLEW MY MIND. I could not get over just how brutally fast this thing was. 0-100kmhr was gone before i could exhale from my deep breath just before taking off from a standing start.......I could not sleep for three nights afterwards because i could not stop reliving the experience of powersliding around a roundabout at 90km/hr with such tenacious grip and g-force. To be honest, i'm going to buy one whether or not they are cheap to run - i also test drove a new 350z track (220kw, 6speed) and it made this thing feel like a large block of lead on 4wheels being pushed by grunting cavemen!

But i still need to know: what do i really need to look for when buying an R32 GT-R? Are there any tell tale signs to look for? What should the compression be in each cylinder when i get it tested? how do i tell if the turbos are starting to wear? This is a major investment for me, and any honest advice from genuine GT-R owners would be appreciated beyond belief. Once again, thankyou all for your input and happy boosting:p :) Hazza

1 - 11 of 11 Posts