GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading these forums for a few months now and few weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a new black/black GT-R. The car's currently off having its 1200 mile optimisation at Middlehursts so looking forward to getting it back next week.

In the meantime, I'm planning a trip to France and I'm wondering if anyone knows how the car copes with the Eurostar, particularly the front splitter on the ramps in the train (i.e. can the car get onto the top deck)?

Any experiances would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I've never been on the top deck, all my cars I've taken on the train that have been low they just put on the lower deck, so it's never an issue. My GTR has been on it twice.

The only thing you need to watch is the width, as it's easy to hit the side-step of the compartment, but even then it's low and rounded and didn't damage the rim, just touched the tyres.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Good luck to get a GT-R fitting on the Eurostar... :chuckle: ;) :p

I'm pretty sure it would be fine on the Eurotunnel though, had a gts25t & R33 GT-R & both were very low & had no pbm on the Eurotunnel.
I don't think the R35 is that low.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Good luck to get a GT-R fitting on the Eurostar... :chuckle: ;) :p

I'm pretty sure it would be fine on the Eurotunnel though,
:) exactly what I was going to post :p

The R35 GTR in our group to LM 24hr back in June was fine on the Eurotunnel :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
from another post, just watch how close you park it to the car in front !!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've done upstairs when it was the only space left on the train!

Not a problem, take it slow and at as much of an angle as you can get.

I still always gesture for downstairs but its not a problem.

One other tip, as you progress along the car deck, fold your mirrors in and you dont have to wiggle past the loos quite so much!

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yup, done upstairs and downstairs loads of times with my R33 and also the R35 when I did the Alpine adventure in September, all fine

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yeah, make sure the muppet behind you takes his car out of gear BEFORE he starts it up, once had a numpty nearly bump into the read of my car

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great thread, I'll be taking mine on the EuroTunnel next year so good to know I don't need to worry about damaging the splitter, kerbing the alloys etc.

Had been on a couple of times in my RX-8 but it's quite a bit smaller.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Any more experiences of this?

I am planning a trip in a months time and am most concerned about the wheels.

Welcome any more confirmations to put my mind at rest.

AM

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Ah, youve found the thread !

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hi everyone. Planning to take mine on a "Euro trip" as well via euro tunnel.

Was just wondering when watching dvds etc in the GTR will it drain the battery? I guess it's only a 35 min trip over but is that enought cause problems? Be nice to watch something while going over:popcorn: and while parked in the queues waiting to go on the train etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the outward journey, we were automatically directed to the lower deck of the train so no worries with catching the front splitter. On the return journey, we were directed to the upper deck, but just as I approached the chap in the high-vis vest I put my hand out of the window and pointed downwards and they redirected us to the lower deck without any trouble. I guess they can see the front of the car and accept that some people can only get on the lower deck.

Once in the train, it is a tight squeeze between the two walkways either side. Once parked, I took a look and I'd say there's over 12 inches of room to spare - as it happened I ended up with about 2 inches one side and 10 or so the other. As I drove down the train, I did catch the wheels once or twice as I went past the toilets/stairwells, but it didn't cause a problem. The edges of the walkways are very rounded and not very high, and to be honest I don't think they are big enough to catch the wheel rim, they only rub on the tyre wall. Just be careful and go steady. Folding the mirrors to make a little more room past the toilets/stairwells was a good tip.

On the way back, we had the ignition on throughout and no problems. Just remember to turn off your automatic headlights.

Hope that helps,

Jon

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hi everyone. Planning to take mine on a "Euro trip" as well via euro tunnel.

Was just wondering when watching dvds etc in the GTR will it drain the battery? I guess it's only a 35 min trip over but is that enought cause problems? Be nice to watch something while going over:popcorn: and while parked in the queues waiting to go on the train etc.
Why not just watch the scenery out of the windows during the journey.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
On the outward journey, we were automatically directed to the lower deck of the train so no worries with catching the front splitter. On the return journey, we were directed to the upper deck, but just as I approached the chap in the high-vis vest I put my hand out of the window and pointed downwards and they redirected us to the lower deck without any trouble. I guess they can see the front of the car and accept that some people can only get on the lower deck.

Once in the train, it is a tight squeeze between the two walkways either side. Once parked, I took a look and I'd say there's over 12 inches of room to spare - as it happened I ended up with about 2 inches one side and 10 or so the other. As I drove down the train, I did catch the wheels once or twice as I went past the toilets/stairwells, but it didn't cause a problem. The edges of the walkways are very rounded and not very high, and to be honest I don't think they are big enough to catch the wheel rim, they only rub on the tyre wall. Just be careful and go steady. Folding the mirrors to make a little more room past the toilets/stairwells was a good tip.

On the way back, we had the ignition on throughout and no problems. Just remember to turn off your automatic headlights.

Hope that helps,

Jon
Ok cool. Thanks for the tips on the wheels etc.

Why not just watch the scenery out of the windows during the journey.

I'll prob have some food and a quick sleep anyway - but GF will wanna put something on I'm guessing:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts