GTR Forum banner

GT-R TCM Flash Beta Test Announcement, The time has come!

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  johnhanton57 
#1 ·
GT-R TCM Flash Beta Test Announcement, The time has come!

Over the last couple of months we at Cobb Tuning have been working on cracking the Transmission Control Module (TCM). Well, we've done it! We are proud to announce that we now have the capability to flash TCMs over OBDII . Yes, that is correct. Over OBDII. There is no reason to remove the TCM from the car!

With the success of the AccessPORT and the power gains that many of you have experienced first hand, there has been a need to be able to tune the TCM at the same time that the ECU is being modified. We now have that capability and have built it into the AccessPORT. We are currently working through the 4,500 tables that are in the TCM and soon hope to have the same level of understanding of the TCM as we have of the ECU.

We are still working through all the crazy logic in the TCM because we do not fully understand it yet. Due to this, we will be rolling out the TCM flash capabilities out in a few different phases:

Phase 1:
Beta testing of JDM TCM speed limit removal. As many of you know, Nissan was kind enough to add a speed limiter to the TCM shortly after releasing the 2008 JDM GT-R. The 2008-2009 JDM GT-Rs have a speed limiter in the TCM set to 202 km/h. We will begin beta testing of this capability as soon as we have recruited a few JDM GT-R owners to validate what we've done.

We are currently looking for any 2008-2009 JDM GT-R owners to join in the testing. We have tested the speed limit removal here on our 2008 JDM GT-Rs, so we are confident that it works. We just need more people to test it before we release to everyone.

Requirements to be a beta tester:

* Own a 2008-2009 JDM GT-R
* Own an AccessPORT (not really a requirement as you can always purchase an AccessPORT and then join the group. It will just be faster if can find a few JDM GT-R owners out there that already have an AccessPORT)
* Have experienced the 202 km/h speed limiter
* Be willing to drive your car is a safe and secure manner in order to verify what we've done

Phase 2:
We will release a firmware update for AP-NIS-005 that will have the capability of removing the Speed Limiter on all 2008-2009 JDM GT-Rs. That will be the extent of the AP-NIS-005 TCM flashing ability.

Phase 3:
We will be releasing a new AccessPORT part number (AP-NIS-006). The AP-NIS-006 AccessPORT will be a the world's first consumer hand held ECU and TCM tuning device. The price of AP-NIS-006 will be $1,495.

By the start of Phase 3, AP-NIS-006 will be able to switch between Launch Control version 1 (LC1) and Launch Control version 2 (LC2). By this time we also hope to have a basic understanding of the TCM and the tables that need to be modified in order to handle the increased horsepower that many tuners and enthusiast are seeing.

Along with the release of the AP-NIS-006 part number we will be starting an upgrade program. Any current AP-NIS-005 AccessPORT can be upgraded to AP-NIS-006 for $500. For the foreseeable future this will require that the AP-NIS-005 AccessPORT be sent back to COBB Tuning for us to perform the update to AP-NIS-006.

Phase 4:
Phase 4 will involve releasing AccessTUNER PRO software that includes the ability to custom tune LC1 and LC2 TCM's. In order to flash the TCM (aside from speed limiter removal), the AccessPORT must be an AP-NIS-006.

Time frame:
Phase 1: Beta testing starts immediately. If you would like to take part in the beta testing and the requirements outlined in Phase 1 please PM us with our contact info. As soon as we have a small group set up we will send you the info that you need.

Phase 2: Depending on how the beta testing goes, the release of the new AP-NIS-005 firmware that removes the JDM speed limiter will shortly follow.

Phase 3: Assuming that beta testing goes quickly, the release of the new AP-NIS-006 AccessPORT and the upgrade program for the AP-NIS-005 AccessPORT will start in about 2 months.

Phase 4: The release date of AccessTUNER PRO that can create custom TCM maps for the GT-R will be set at a later time. Reverse engineering is hard, and the release of the software is dependent on our level of understanding of the TCM.

Conclusion :
The process of reverse engineering the TCM is very similar to reverse engineering the ECU. We are confident that as time goes by we will understand the TCM as well as we understand the ECU. We are very excited about the possibilities that TCM flashing presents and we will keep everyone posted on our progress.

If you have any questions please let us know. We are very excited about our new TCM capability!

Joe Graham
Nissan/Infiniti Firmware Engineer.
Cobb Tuning
CobbTuning.com - Home Page

COMMON QUESTIONS

Can you flash the TCM via the OBDII port?
Yes, just as the AccessPORT flashes the ECU via the OBDII, the AccessPORT can flash the TCM via the OBDII.

How long does it take the AccessPORT to flash the TCM?
Around 6 min. The AccessPORT can flash the TCM faster than it can flash the ECU.

What level of access do you have to the TCM?
We have found the speed limiter present in the 2008-2009 JDM GT-Rs and we have identified 4,500 tables in the TCM. The effort to understand the tables is underway. There are many tables that will not ever be modified, but we are working on finding the tables that will be useful for tuning.

Will the AccessPORT save my MINES TCM reflash?
Yes, just like with the ECU, the AccessPORT has the capability to download and backup the TCM ROM.

How long does it take the AccessPORT to dump the TCM ROM?
It take 8 to 16 minutes depending on if you have a V2B or V2 AccessPORT.

Will the Nissan Black Box record that I've flashed my TCM?
Our best guess is yes. Nissan has the capability to record ECU flashes, so we assume they will do the same for the TCM.

Will flashing my TCM void my warranty?
Nissan will probably have the ability to see that you've flashed your TCM, and at that point it is up to them if they honor your warranty or not.

What is AP-NIS-005 and what does it mean?
AP-NIS-005 is the part number that we have assigned to the 2008-2010 GT-R AccessPORT. If you have purchased an AccessPORT for your GT-R to date, it is an AP-NIS-005.

Why the two part numbers AP-NIS-005 & AP-NIS-006?
Not everyone will want or need the capability to flash tuned maps to the TCM. We do not want to charge customers for a capability that they will never use.

Why does AP-NIS-006 cost $500 more than AP-NIS-005?
Reverse engineering the GT-R TCM is a process that is just as intensive as reverse engineering the ECU. The level of effort required to develop and enhance this capability is significant and requires COBB to dedicate top resources to it. The additional cost is to offset the expense of developing TCM flashing and tuning capability.

How much does it cost to upgrade a AP-NIS-005 to a AP-NIS-006?
We are charging $500 to upgrade AP-NIS-005 to AP-NIS-006, which is the difference between the AP-NIS-005 and a new AP-NIS-006. With this upgrade you will be able to flash different maps to your TCM as well as your ECU.

Why are you only charging $500 for the upgrade?
With the fact that there is no need for new hardware or a new AccessPORT, the only cost to us in developing the TCM flash is our Engineer's and Calibrator's time and effort. The fact that we are able to add this as a new feature to the current AccessPORT device makes it so that we do not have to charge the end user for new hardware.

Will all AP-NIS-005 AccessPORTs have the capability to flash the TCM?
Yes, but it is limited to disabling the Speed Limiter. AP-NIS-005 will not have the ability to flash other performance maps to the TCM. In order to flash a performance or custom map to the TCM with your AccessPORT you will need to upgrade your AP-NIS-005 to an AP-NIS-006.

How much are other companies charging for ECU/TCM reflashes?
We are aware of a few Japanese companies that are charging upwards of $2,000 for a single ECU and TCM reflash. Other companies are charging much more for just a TCM flash. Even though other companies may understand more of the logic in the TCM as of right now, we will gain an equal understanding of the TCM in a short time. In addition, the AP-NIS-006 AccessPORT will allow unlimited ECU and TCM reflashes with all of the additional cool features inherent in the AccessPORT device (data logging, live data monitoring, map switching, DTC reading and clearing, performance measurements, etc.).

* note Euro/pound prices will be advised asap, based on exchange rate

See less See more
Discussion starter · #11 ·
It is on my list of things to do. I've got to figure out how to present the info to the user. I only have a 2 inch x 2 inch screen, where the Consult III has a much larger screen.

Joe

I'd happily see clutch touch points adjust tcm tables in accessTUNER, then upload that data :)

anyone wanna buy my heavy soon to be out dated C3 :p

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Hey Ben, could you please update us on the progress of the TCM flash.

I am intrigued, a few days ago a friend received his personalized map with keywords "gear tps, tcm, tpm" in it. Does it correspond to the phase 2 eventhough he has an EU version ? Or have you released a TCM flash even for the 1st generation of AP ?

Cheers.

AP NIS006 is so far only being developed/tested by Thistle, he's got clutch relearn, touch point adjustment working, still along way to go with actually TCM calibration set up. All being well further testing by April and release in Summer would be realistic

Exciting times. AP is way ahead of anything else

The custom tune your friend has, has the new gear/throttle boost % control multiplier. Sounds like one of our maps as we put that sort of detail in there

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Subject: TCM tuning software beta software testers needed

Hi Guys,

The TCM flash is done, and so is my very first version of the tuning software. At this point the software is very ruff, but it will get better. I need beta testers. In order to test the software you'll also have to beta test the AP-NIS-006 firmware.

If you are interested in beta testing the software please let me know. Send me an email with your name, location and information about the GT-R that you will be testing on. I know there is not a lot of info in this email, but I'm very excited about this product!

If you have any specific questions let me know. I'm expecting a ton of emails on this subject so it may take a few days to get back to you.

Joe Graham
Nissan/Infiniti Firmware Engineer (GT-R Hacker)
Cobb tuning
CobbTuning.com - COBB Tuning Home Page

Discussion starter · #17 ·
TCM tuning software beta software Info!

Introduction

Let me start by saying I’m very impressed by the response to my request for beta testers. There is a lot of information in this email so read it carefully and if you have any questions let me know. Once you are done please email me and let me know if you wish to continue beta testing the software.

Basic info

You’ll need to either buy a AP-NIS-006 or upgrade your current AP-NIS-005. That info on how to do that is outlined below.
You’ll need to download and install the tuner software.
You’ll need to install the AccessPORT on both the ECU and TCM.
You’ll need to use one of my maps as a base, or create your own. (I'm working on the base maps I'll send them the first of next week)
You’ll then need to test it on the car. This part is up to you.
Flashing the TCM will void the warranty on the transmission. This upgrade is not for the faint of heart!

Purchasing info

For many of you it might be easier or more cost effective to purchase AP-NIS-006 directly from us. The retail price of that device is $1495.00 USD.

Information about the tuning software

John has been working very hard on the logic in the software and has found some very interesting tables that are now in the software. Below is a list of supported vehicles, and I’ll do my best to keep you all up-to-date when new TCMs are added to the software. Almost all the values in the software are raw values. We are still working on figuring out what Nissan is using for units. Your best bet is to open the base maps that I’ll send out and use them as a starting point. I'll send out the base maps at the first of next week.

Vehicles supported:
The names that you'll see in the drop down menu are Nissans identification. I've left Nissan naming standard because I don't know if they have made a different version for each region. Here is a breakdown of what I know:

Transmission JF04B GT-R - 2009 EDM GT-R.
Transmission JF09D GT-R - 2008-2009 JDM GT-R.
Transmission JF09E GT-R - 2009 USDM GT-R.
Transmission JW91A GT-R - 2010 JDM GT-R.
Transmission JW91B GT-R - 2011 USDM GT-R.

I'm expecting that the 2009 world market cars will have an identifier of JF04X or JF09X. If you find you have one of these roms email me and I'll send you instructions on how to dump an unknown rom.

Tuner software Capabilities:

Launch control

2008-2009 and 2010 USDM
There are three tables you'll need to modify to raise the launch RPM. I'll attach a LC1 base map that you can use as a reference.

2010 and 2011 USMD
The launch control is set up for each of the different modes with different tables. John and I still need to figure this one out.

Line pressure adjustment

We haven't adjusted these and the probably should not be modified until I have data logging working for the TCM.

Power reduction break points

These are heat break points. As the Trans gets hotter it will start to pull power. To eliminate that effect you can raise these temperature break points.

Maps:

There are no maps in the firmware for right now. As soon as I get some feed back on some of the AP-NIS-006 features I'll send out them LC1 maps :)

AccessPORT Firmware:

As you might expect the firmware will be changing often, be sure to update your AccessPORT periodically. The basic functionality of the AccessPORT is the same for the AP-NIS-006 as it is for the AP-NIS-005. The TCM capabilities will be very similar to the ECU capabilities.

Install process:
IF you are using a new AP-NIS-006 the install process is exactly the same. Once the ECU installation has happens you'll be presented with new messages about the TCM. The flow is exactly like the ECU, you will be asked to select a map, and then given the option to dump the TCM. After that the Map will be flashed to the TCM. The best thing is to use a battery charger when doing this.

Change map process:
In the AP-NIS-006 you'll see a new option under "Tune" and that will be TCM map change. It works just like the ECU map change. The best thing is to use a battery charger when doing this.

Uninstall:
The uninstall process will remove the AccessPORT from the TCM and the ECU. The best thing is to use a battery charger when doing this.

Transmission adjustments:
To get to the transmission adjustments go to “Tune->transmission adjustments” you will then be presented with two options.

Clutch learning.
The car will need to be warmed up, in park and running to do this. The trans fluid needs to be at 55 C. I've added code to the AccessPORT to try and help the end users figure out what the AccessPORT is doing.

Touch point adjustment
The AccessPORT will read the 4 adjustments from the TCM and then allow you to modify them one at a time.

Coming soon:

Data logging: currently I do not any type of TCM data logging in the AccessPORT. The way The Consult logs the TCM values it too slow. John and I have come up with a way to log faster, but it's going to take me a bit to implement it and test it.

Ends

------------------------------------------------------------

I will be sending my AP back to Cobb USA next week. If anyone wishes to be included let me know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.