GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
Just got myself a Nismo boot lip spoiler copy from Japan. It's quite ok just use double adhesive on it... but when I installed it, I immediately notice the "heaviness" on the trunk when I open it. For the guys who also have this, do you also experience this? Wondering now if the legit Nismo drag spoiler (w/c is out of production) are not as heavy as the copy ones, even if it's from Japan.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
The Nismo original ones are made of a foam type polyurethane with a steel insert that has plastic clips that go into the boot skin. They are pretty heavy and sadly over time the steel insert corrodes and they get somewhat mis-shapen. Same goes for the front original Nismo lips with their alloy fasteners that corrode.

I have a very light fibreglass copy for mine which I purchased from DaveW. It is just a skin with a very thin bonded in baseplate - so totally hollow. Really nice copy.

On the front I use a blow moulded PU one which I found on Yahoo Auctions - again very very light.

·
Registered
27,473 Posts
right , think i am confusing something

you mean an N1 lip?

The nismo one is not made out of CF, and has a metal base plate (as stated above) - they are very heavy.

you will notice with the n1 lip, that its not eactly areo dynamic.

copies in FRP or carbon are comming (we sell them too).

the "drag spoilers" like by Saurus are obviously designed to get the back of the car down off the line.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Yes Matty you are getting confused - just like almost everyone else in English speaking GT-R lands.

The N1 version R32 came a year later the Nismo version.

The boot lip, bonnet lip, bumper vents and rear wheel arch front spats were all homologated for Group A racing on the limited production run 1990 R32 Nismo version.
They are 'Nismo' lips, vents, spats etc not 'N1' when fitted to a 32.

The Saurus drag spoiler is aimed at reducing drag at high speed, nothing to do with getting the power down of the line. Mass, springs, dampers and tyres are the important factors off the line.

The Nismo rear lip may not be great for aero drag but it will increase downforce on the rear by accelerating the exit air from the boot lid surface upwards in conjunction with the lower surface of the main wing.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is what I'm talking about. It's a copy from Japan, and it's said to be made up of FRP. Sort of heavy when I open the trunk. I don't know if it's hollow or solid.

Wait guys, this bonnet lip is called Nismo and N1 lip spoiler right? The Japs call it also drag spoiler. But there is also one thing I notice though, there are 2 types of boot lip spoiler in the market now. One have a smaller "U" cut space for the oem spoiler and the other has a wider one.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,210 Posts
FRP or CF shouldn't make much difference to the weight. All of the copies of the Nismo boot lip spoiler will vary somewhat (they are copies so however makes them can make them how they want to).

However I wouldn't be put off by the fact that they are copies. Many of the copies are better than the OEM Nissan/Nismo item. I have the Nismo bonnet lip which is made of the foam PU material and has warped a bit. My borther's Z32 with OEM spoiler has disintegrated. It's such a common problem that GF copes are everywhere.

If you want less weight then throw the OEM stuff away - it's soooooo heavy. I took the normal spoiler off mine (just to see if I liked the look). Without the spoiler the boot would fly open when I pulled the boot release lever. With a copy spoiler and copy Nismo lip you'd save kgs over OEM.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The Nismo rear lip may not be great for aero drag but it will increase downforce on the rear by accelerating the exit air from the boot lid surface upwards in conjunction with the lower surface of the main wing.
Yes, the 32 is pretty draggy anyway so it can't have made it much worse. The Australian Group A cars were still hitting 300km/h at Bathurst with the lip fitted, no idea what the Japanese Group A's were getting up to. As it was designed for the Group A effort it must have been through a wind tunnel at some stage unlike the awful Rocket Dancer rear wing add ons which would only seem to ruin any benefits from the gurney lip built into the standard rear wing.

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
112 Posts
My car has always had one on and the GTR spoiler and from day one I've never let it shut under it's own weight, (frightened it'll burst the rear tyres) just go steady mate.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Whilst I admit my aero knowledge is only that of an enthusiastic amateur, from what I've been able to tell the N1 lip is actually acting as a Gurney flap, and is therefore *reducing* the drag induced by the rear wing. Of course, if you've just the lip and no wing, it's a different story...

EDIT: Never mind, consulted a colleague, forget I said anything :p

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
My car has always had one on and the GTR spoiler and from day one I've never let it shut under it's own weight, (frightened it'll burst the rear tyres) just go steady mate.
You won't let your boot shut under it's own weight as you're frightened it'll burst your rear tyres?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.