GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's every possibility that my current career path will take me out to the states next year, but before I decide whether to go for it or not (the car, will however not be the deciding factor), I need to know where I would stand in terms of getting my car out there, how to register it, and just how 'legal' it would be once there (or what it would take to get it legalized)

I need as much info on this subject (or stateside GTR ownership in general) as possible, from owners that have done it, exsisting owners in the US, or anyone that has the knowledge or information they might feel I need.

Much appreciated

Steve

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
if you're a foreigner, you can bring the car in freely - no DOT/EPA certification, nothing. You just have to export the car within a year. Or, you could "forget" to. Or, you could send it over in many pieces, then reassemble the whole lot, and depending on the state, get it registered at the state level (forget about California or New York for example). In any event, there's always a risk, however slight (or great, if you decide to go cruising in LA) that the cops will pull you over and decide to hand the car over to the Federal authorities, which they have the discretion to do. Legal avenues are simply, the one-year rule for foreigners, and the possibility of getting your car, if it's an airbag-equipped non-OBD-II R33, modified and certified to be fully and forever US legal - a $25,000 process.

·
Registered
717 Posts
As said above if your staying tempory then fine but do you want the hassle of exporting every year?

The only state that is a problem is california not new york, but even so there are many non federally converted cars there....owned by some very famous people too

·
Registered
717 Posts
You can take your car over permantly if you like but its a bit of a process without going through federal legalisation...but can be done very easily

·
Registered
717 Posts
your 2 options are to federally convert the car at a cost of around $25k as noted above but be prepared not to see your car for 6 months plus the shipping time or you can do it another way for about $10k

·
Registered
304 Posts
Your best bet would be to contact RB Motoring and talk to Sean Morris or Jack there. Thye are experts on the subject and HIGHLY respected in the US GTR community. Good luck I hope you can bring it over.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Your best bet would be to contact RB Motoring and talk to Sean Morris or Jack there. Thye are experts on the subject and HIGHLY respected in the US GTR community. Good luck I hope you can bring it over.
Apart from the fact that they cant do any of the work needed to convert the cars federally.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
What is it with this car and transfers with work to sunnier climes???

I may buy it Steve just to continue the roll of luck :D

*****hijack over*****

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
In fact there is only 1 company in the usa that can and will do the conversions as of right now and its not them
Well then spill it...havent heard of anyone since Motorex went down the crapper! IF there is a company that can do it "legally" Sean would know of it...so that's why it might be a good idea to contact them!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts