GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I looked in the forum for a section where new subscribers show up but I haven't found it, as soon as I find it I will introduce myself correctly.
In the meantime I do my first post, I come from American V8 cars but I would like to buy a JDM, my little dream as a good car enthusiast is to have a car in the garage that reaches 1200-1500 horsepower at the counter, I am undecided between a Supra MarkIV and a Skyline. Unfortunately, the GT-Rs are out of my budget so I regretfully fall back on a GT-T.

My question is this, can the GT-T be brought to 1200-1500 horsepower like the GT-R34? If it is possible which components should I replace and what budget should I expect?

As a guideline I had these pieces in the estimate:
  • Short Block
  • Turbo kit
  • Camshafts
  • Control unit
  • Head gasket
  • Head bolts

Thank you guys in advance for your advice and I say hello to the whole forum

·
Super Moderator
15,966 Posts
Well plenty of people have transplanted an RB26+ into a GT-T...

Reactions: Animale

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that I do not know what there is to replace in a swap, the electronics are the same or only the engine needs to be changed?

·
Registered
230 Posts
No real value in going from RB25 to RB26, people really only do it for cool points. The cost is much higher.

If you want to build something with 1200+ hp why bother with a ratty old Skyline? I hate to say it but these things are seriously terrible for big power compared to more modern cars. A Challenger Hellcat has 700 hp from the factory, throw in a high boost pulley and supporting modifications and it'll hit 1000 hp for maybe 8000 USD over the cost of the car, which is about 50k USD these days. To build an RB to an honest 1000 hp crank you're looking at probably 30k USD at least. I really cannot fathom how terrible a 1000 hp RB engine must be to live with when it already feels like it has a ton of turbo lag at stock power. I have the HKS GT3-SS turbos on the RB26 and I struggle to get more than maybe 3-5 psi boost at 2500 rpm if I floor it in 5th from 2000 RPM. This is a turbo that is designed strictly for low-end/mid-range response, you're lucky to get 20 psi of boost at 7000 RPM even if you weld the wastegate shut. If you have to stay turbo and 6 cylinders a Barra or VR38 is far more appropriate for that kind of power.

·
Registered
1995 Skyline R33 GTR Nismo V-Spec ( R28 )...
132 Posts
It's the" to each their own" , syndrome. Granted the Hellcat, and it's new bigger brother Srt Ghoul ( 1000hp ) from the factory, are a porky car ( 4400+ lbs) . There are those who love them, and those who love Skylines, I'm the love Skylines guy might be why I have the ( UnHoly Trinity ) R32, R33, and R34. If you haven't driven a Skyline that is built to handle 800+ hp , your insight of it must be terrible to drive or maintain is wrong ( in my eyes ) my R33 ( RB28) does not struggle with turbo lag at all , the twins are built as the rest of the engine, suspension, drivetrain to handle it with ease. Granted there will be problems on the Skylines from stock, but those can be overcome by the right fix! But like you said which I do agree with, is depending on the depth of your Bank account, buying a car at 700hp from the factory might be right for that person!!🤠😜🤪

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's the" to each their own" , syndrome. Granted the Hellcat, and it's new bigger brother Srt Ghoul ( 1000hp ) from the factory, are a porky car ( 4400+ lbs) . There are those who love them, and those who love Skylines, I'm the love Skylines guy might be why I have the ( UnHoly Trinity ) R32, R33, and R34. If you haven't driven a Skyline that is built to handle 800+ hp , your insight of it must be terrible to drive or maintain is wrong ( in my eyes ) my R33 ( RB28) does not struggle with turbo lag at all , the twins are built as the rest of the engine, suspension, drivetrain to handle it with ease. Granted there will be problems on the Skylines from stock, but those can be overcome by the right fix! But like you said which I do agree with, is depending on the depth of your Bank account, buying a car at 700hp from the factory might be right for that person!!🤠😜🤪
I guess I did sound a little too much of a downer but to me the RB26 is really a stone-age engine that requires a tremendous, tremendous investment just to get it to feel a bit more modern. That's not to say that nobody should do it, but it really takes a special kind of person. I regularly feel like a crazy person and wonder frequently if it's worth it. And as you have mentioned it's not just about building the engine but everything else around it that really balloons the cost.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Anything over 500hp in rwd platform on road tires without aero downforce and you are seriously traction limited most of the time. I have a friend running around 700 in a 33gtst on a stroked RB25. Any more would be pointless. A bigger turbo could get him 1000plus but with serious detriment to the first half of the power curve.
If you want to run on prepped strips and only care about timeslips then chase the big numbers by all means.
For an all rounder Skyline there is a sweet spot around 5-700hp rwd, 6-900 awd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts