GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just wanting to find out what the most popular upgrade you have in the UK between these 2 HKS turbos or equivalent.
Here in Australia we have varying opinions, some saying 2540's are too laggy for street use ,others not.
I am in the market for one of these bolt on upgrades, obviously wanting the most hp possible but still keep a daily driven package.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
BHP

Dear GTR-51K

The 'million dollar' question again. Be suprised if you don't get a few replies :D but at the end of the day you'll still have to make the decision for yourself probably.

Shin (Prospec) who posts on here will probably be the man to ask as he has an enormous wealth of info gained from his many, many years of GTR'ing in Japan.

Good luck.

glen

·
Registered
997 Posts
25/10`s

I would like to remind you of 25/10`s,these Turbo`s are the one of the best "street" packages available.
Henry.:smokin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again,
Thanks for all your comments.
According to Guy the trend seems to follow the 2530's and this even though being a handful of GTR's gives me a rough idea what owners of these cars prefer. Or do they ?
I guess sometimes the decision on turbo selection is left to the mechanic/tuner.
This is why I would like to ask anyone who has a 2530 setup wether they are satisfied with power outputs these turbos produce ? And any drivability issues with anyone who has a 2540 set-up ?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I had a drive in Shin's GTR before he took it to the UK, and I was very surprised at how smooth and virually lag free the 2530s were. The 30s seem to be the most used option here in Japan too if what you are after is a decent street/track car.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Which set-up to choose
Most guy's like a car with torque to make the everyday driving experience a bit more pleasant.

I also believe that 2540 turbos tend to die off when changing gear and make them a bit laggy.

The question you are asking may be somewhat resolved by looking at the Dyno results http://212.67.202.137/~joss/forum/u...=&threadid=717.

I would say my 2530's feel pretty similar to how I remember the standard R34 at the lower rev's and the Dyno results back that up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The technical section gives a good indication of how varying applications perform.
Its looking like the path is leading to the 2530's but picking up a few more kw with the 2540's still sounds attractive to me, even though we will have this dreaded lag factor......

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Lag

Well now theirs a subject.

Some have it, some don't, some care, some don't care. Just a shame their isn't any way to feel these turbos on cars really to make a comparison. And then the cars would be in different states of tune anyway.

Gary at GT-Art summed it up for me when I was talking to him about it at one of the Dyno Days. He just said, and I quote, "just change down a gear". Quite simple really.

Good luck with your choice. I'm sure though that whatever ones you buy you won't go wrong :) .

glen

·
Registered
710 Posts
I disagree with the statement that boost drops off between shifts - I've not experienced that. Yes, you will will get lag with the 2540's but I don't think it is a major issue that seriously detracts from your driving pleasure. Is it not possible to test drive a couple of cars just to get a feel for the difference ?

Talat.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I don't know of any car that gets off boost while changing gear. If this were to happen you can put it down to seriously poor engineering!! This kind of thing has only happened to me with an Integra Type-R(I know its not a turbo;) :smokin: !) when in some situations...mainly going up steep roads...it would fall below the VTEC rev-area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going for a test drive on the weekend in an R33 GTR equipped with 2540's.
It will be interesting to see the drivability of this car !!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
gt 25\40s

I drove a car equipped with 25\40 turbos today and once up to a good operating temp even only set to 0.8 bar, driverbility was very good boost was spooling at 3000 rpm and then things became very interesting indeed and very quickly:D cant wait to try 1.2 bar,i would imagine with a evc pro these turbos would be a good allrounder they certainly deliver a good smack in the back:D
Gary
GT-ART.CO.UK
THE FUTURETIVE:D
Road & Race Performance Engineering

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gary,
What exactly is an evc-pro that you mentioned in your last post ?
The test drive is on tomorrow, cant wait !!

·
Registered
446 Posts
What exactly is an evc-pro.. Ouch Expensive!

"Quote"

HKS EVC Pro

The EVC Pro is for professional use and installation only. Boost curves can be programmed for throttle position, engine RPM and/or vehicle speed. For example, when the vehicle begins to accelerate, boost levels will be at a preset level. As the vehicle enters higher rpms, the EVC Pro can be programmed to raise the boost level as the vehicle accelerates. This limits lower RPM wheel spin while allowing better performance at higher rpm. The Pro is adjustable up to 3.0 bar (43.44 psi) for higher horsepower applications.

EVC Pro Features
Adjustable up to 3.0 bar (43.44 psi)
Speed, throttle position and RPM program features
Atmosphere pressure sender (ATM) provides constant boost pressure regardless of atmospheric conditions
Digital real time vacuum and boost meter
Direct boost input
Low and High preset modes
Scramble boost feature allows added boost pressure for a preset amount of time
Visual and audible overboost warning feature
Can be used with internal or external-type wastegates
Fuzzy Logic Programming will learn the vehicles natural boost curve and optimize it
Twin turbo compatible

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for that explanation Charlie, sounds like a real complex boost controller. Quite interesting !!!
The test drive yesterday was simply AWESOME !
I fell in love with the 2540's almost immediately.
I found lag to be managable in that particular set-up, running standard cams with adjustable cam gears.
Once this R33 came on boost it literally felt like it was about to launch off the ground,& I am sure I was not imagining this.
The owner of this car had it dynoed with an impressive 332rwkw.. wow.... for a standard motor !!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DCD is that someone ....me......:D !!!
I have certainly made up my mind, as a matter of fact in a few days I will have a set of GT2540 spec turbos made by Garrett and dump pipes to suit these being a copy of the HKS ones with the separated wastegate.
These came up at a good price, to be exact half the the price of the original HKS GT2540's. Anyway Garrett makes the cores for HKS so there will be minimal or no difference in flow between these turbos.
Also just got my Power FC, Garrett intercooler 600x300x115, Apexi high volume fuel pump- flows 276 l/h, Denso 660cc injectors & Tomei fuel rail all today.
I spent a few $$$ here but hope it all comes together to produce some decent horsepower....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi GTR 51k. Before I installed 2540s in my GTR, I was advised to install 2530s instead. The lag is less on the 2530s. I however had to follow the tuning menu to get warranty so I stuck with the 2540s. You can view the result in my thread entitled "My GTR Is Back" in Tuning-general section. The result is 524.2 hp at all 4 wheelsat about 1.5 bar of boost. The chart is in that thread.
It's been almost 5 months now and I drive the car everyday to work. Absolutely no problem. In the massive traffic jams we call Kuala Lumpur, the car just glides along like any other car - get this, I could easily drive in 5th gear at 50kph at about 1500 rpm. Maximum speed at 1000rpm in 5th gear is 40kph.
The car starts boosting at about 2500 in 5th. In 4th, it hits 1 bar at around 4400-5000 rpm and by that time any unsuspecting passenger would be thinking of a diaper change!:D
Yes, it is a tiny weee bit laggier than 2530s but the top end more than compensates for that! On the track, I overtake evrything from a Supra to F360. The only dent in my pride so far is a Elise 190 Sports which was driven by this really cool driver!
I don't think you would regret your choice. Good luck!

PS : I was reading High Performance Imports (the GTR Special Edition - no.2). Apparently 2540s are really popular in Australia. there is a well written article there where they compare the 2540s to Garrett's GT35BB/Trust TD05/T8834D/TD06. You might want to check it out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts