GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as a fair number of us are about to install 2860 turbos, I thought I'd start a thread looking at the little things we should be prepared for.

I was talking with my engine builder, who wanted to know the exact plumbing of these turbos. Am I right in assuming that they will have the same oil and water feed and return lines? Are the stock lines completely usable (with some "persuasion") or is there a better option, like braided lines?

Will these GT2860s fit perfectly on an HKS manifold designed for twin GT25 turbos?

Mine are going on an engine-out build, which simplifies a lot of things. For those of us who are doing the swap in-situ, I can take a lot of pictures of the plumbing from whatever angle, if you get confused with some lines, especially those dastardly ones that run behind or beneath...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Kismet Capitan, I am under the conclusion that they are a direct bolt on replacement? I hope so?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Direct bolt on with the exception of the drains which need a bolt hole to be slotted slightly apparently.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
They are a direct replacement apart from the oil drain. The 2 M8 bolt holes are a different width apart from the stock turbos, and will require the existing drain modifying, or cutting and a new flange brazing on.

·
Registered
572 Posts
As i have found out tonight! yes they do need modifying! at least i know my turbos are right! Phew,,,,,:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
how much power could you expect safely from GT2860 turbos/

·
Registered
198 Posts
the equivalent of the 2530's r good for 600 fhp i believe @1.4 1.5 bar. using shell v power.

some1 correct me if i'm wrong, but im sure there's a few guy's on here that r running around 500 whp with the said 2860's.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i run 600bhp at 1.6 bar on GT2860R -5's - i havent taken mine any further than 1.6 (due to std gearbox)

i think 650 is possible @ 1.9bar but you will have to check the intake temps and see when the turbos start to make more heat than good boost.

Pete

·
Registered
366 Posts
Equiv to a GT2530 but spool slower.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I can confirm yes they do spool slower, But i seem to like it that way,, for every day driving, can cruise around a bit quicker with out the turbos getting on it too much. If i were racing all the time then yes you need fast spool.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts

Why would they spool slower ?

tyndago - GT-R Turbos

GT2530 320 63 47.7 60.1 60 50 0.60 76 53.8 47 GT25 Internal - GT25 0.64

707160-5 446179-51

Wh Dia Trim A/R
Ind Exd
47.2mm 60.0mm 62 0.60

Wh Dia Trim A/R Type
53.8mm 76 0.64 Wastegated

Half a mm on the inlet size. 0.1 smaller on the exducer. 53.8 mm exhaust wheels for both turbos. Both with 0.64 exhaust housings. Both with 76 trim exhaust wheels.

It must be the HKS magic mojo.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry to argue with you Sean but i have seen and heard of back to back dyno pulls showing the HKS spooling quicker than the Garret unit.

HKS took the Garret unit and had it designed to thier specs... .5mm here or 1mm there or .05AR give or take makes a big difference.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Sorry to argue with you Sean but i have seen and heard of back to back dyno pulls showing the HKS spooling quicker than the Garret unit.HKS took the Garret unit and had it designed to thier specs... .5mm here or 1mm there or .05AR give or take makes a big difference.
I am interested in these back to back dyno pulls showing the 2860 spooling slower than a 2530.

Actually I have 2 cars we just did , one 2530 and one 2860. I need to look at the numbers, however - 2 different cars, 2 different cam setups, two different ECU's.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Sean, some really good turbo info on your page there. Just noticed your entry regarding the Garrett equivalent to a HKS GT-RS. Shouldn't it actually be the 707160-10 TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog rather than the one you have listed, it looks like a better match and has the compact stud arrangement on the turbine housing.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Sean, some really good turbo info on your page there. Just noticed your entry regarding the Garrett equivalent to a HKS GT-RS. Shouldn't it actually be the 707160-10 TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog rather than the one you have listed, it looks like a better match and has the compact stud arrangement on the turbine housing.
Yes thats right, they didn't have the -10 listed a while ago. I actually have it in my notes somewhere. I just have to remember to get around to updating stuff.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts