GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished my Garrett GT4088R install. It was the main part of a detune which saw the removal of the T88-34D. Still running the old map, so no WOT runs, but the difference is like night and day !! 3rd gear at 3/4 throttle sees 1.1bar at 4000rpm (with a slight exhaust manifold leak). 4th gear, 3/4 thottle sees +1.6bar at 4000rpm. I expect a full 2.0 bar at just over 4000rpm in 5th....
I chose the .95 a/r housing. The turbo starts pulling hard at around .7 bar.
Special thanks to richsrq, who pm'd me the details on sourcing the turbo for a stunning price !!!!:bowdown1:
More info to come once she's mapped. Can't wait to get her on a dyno.....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a little pic. More to come soon....

I used a bendable copper pipe for the water lines. Still need to source some propper fittings where they enter/exit the turbo. I initially did not want to cut the end of the turbo, but I wanted to keep the boost line run as smooth as possible, so it was innevitable... I then welded a shorter extention on the boost pipe to reach the intercooler tube. I used a low temp welding compound (730f) that can bond aluminum to galvanized steel. This is what the extention on the turbo is made of...
Now to reinstall the strut bar (which like the bonnet/turbo/exhaust needs to be hacked with a cut-off saw) :chuckle: and I'll be off to the races !!!!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
that's some pretty impressive performance from a single. I could live with 1 bar at 4000rpm...and 2 bars!

what cams/displacement are you running?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
how much was the gt4088 out of interest mate...??? and do you think its a real good improvement over the t88???
as i have a t-78 33d and was thinking of selling and getting a to4z or a gt4088...cheers...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the cams are 272 in/out, with a 10.5 lift. The engine is bored to 2.7. The car was set-up to put out 800hp at 2.1 bar with the t88. Went like stink, but .4 bar at 4000rpm was not so good. Didn't really start to pull until over 1.2 bar, and above 5000rpm. I too was leaning toward the T04Z, but sourced the 4088 for $1325 usd:runaway: shipped to my door (in Canada). She actually pulls in second gear, something the t88 didn't do until 6000rpm.
Can't fault the t88. If the car were "race only" it was stellar. But this turbo spools earlier/faster and hits alot harder below 1 bar. Between 1.2-1.6 bar they seem pretty equal, above 1.7 I'm guessing the t88 would take over, but I've not been that high yet....
Maybe tomorrow..;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
What sort of atw power are you expecting and at what sort of boost?
In the lower gears when does it start pulling before slamming you in your seat? Sounds like an awsome turbo

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Thats great result!!!

I was in the same boat thinking about changing to more mordern turbo on my car also. I am running a T45S turbo right now and it isn't too bad. 1Bar at 4500rpm.

I wonder how much difference will the .85A/R housing make if you decide to use less boost and try to get the turbo to spool earlier. I was thinking about going for the 4088R with the .85A/R housing and runing around 1.6bar of boost, should see a early spooling turbo with about 650bhp and redline of about 8000rpm (I wouldn't expect the .85A/R to flow very well at the top end)

How hard was it to install the Turbo? Is it a DIY job or should we leave it for the expert only? How did you connect the V-Band to your downpipe? Did you have to make a new one? How about the oil and water connection?

If it can be install by yourself, I am seriously going to look into that turbo. Thanks for the great update. :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking the .85 housing, but as my car has lumpy cams, and was originally modded to handle 9000rpm and 2+bar of boost, I thought it would be a shame not to utilize some of that setup. I was aiming for 650hp, running around 1.6-1.7bar. I think it should produce 700+, but I blew the boost tube off at 180km/h trying to compare it to my t88. In terms of install, not to difficult or expensive. Just a little tedious. I bought a new manifold as the old one set the turbo too far back for the boost pipe to have a chance to clear the inner fender. I had to reintroduce a water line and was not looking forward to trying to tie into the factory line that is behind the block. Turns out there is an access near the bottom passenger side of the block. Next I had to cut off the end of the exhaust and weld on a v-band fitting and short extension. The big old wastegate didn't fit the flange properly, so that needed to be drilled out. I spent alot of time trying to make an s-bend pipe to fit the turbo, but ended up having a simple angled pipe welded on by the local welding guru. The oil supply line was swapped out for a much smaller one. The fittings on the old line had no chance of working. A nearby hydraulic hose shop was up to the task of manufacturing a line that used the old banjo bolt off the block and tied in to the turbo. I also bought a 1.6 mm restrictor for the turbo to cut back the pressure. I also cut out a small section of the hood support so the turbo would clear the bonnet. Factoring in the fact I sold my old manifold, so far It's cost me just under $1850CAD. A turbo shop in Toronto wanted $2400+tax just for the turbo :confused: .

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The extension and the water line...Please take note of my aweful welded extension and the beautiful one done by the pro. (mine will be sanded):thumbsup: ....

3/8ths hose and pumbing stuff from the hardware store tied the front water line to the top of the engine..

Center is the coolant access on the block, and left is the oil line draw

Now, I'm off for a little run in the ol' girl. :squintdan

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
What manifold are you using?

The manifold I am using is made for a T04R, so I would of thought the 4088R (T04Z) would fit on without any mods. I aren't sure about the water and oil line though.

It would be nice if I don't need to do a wielding job, but it might be something that needs to be done.

I am using a similar setup as yours, 2.7L with a 272 cam (HKS Step1), so it isn't as high lift as yours... Fuel system is another thing I worry about as I am not completely sure will the HKS in take fuel pump provide enough fuel for all these...

Hum...decision, decision.... I need to win the lottery. :p

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This pic is the old manifold (as reference). The straight line on the new one lines up about 3/4 of an inch farther forward than this (midway between cylinder 1 & 2). I wish I could have used this one, as it's not cheap, but ended up buying an XS power one. The manifold gasket is already leaking:mad: , so I will source something higher quality.

Even with the leak, I still managed 1.5 bar in 5th gear at 3600rpm. Definitely no complaints with the turbo....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I chose the .95 a/r housing. The turbo starts pulling hard at around .7 bar.
At what rpm does it see .7 and what gear are you talking?
Is the car quite zippy in the lower gears around town or does it feel lazy ?

It sounds an awsome turbo man ,nice response with plenty of mid range to top end power :cool:
I cant wait to see a dyno plot :bowdown1:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My last gt-r had gt-ss turbos. There is no comparison low in the rev range. They simply pull right off idle. The GT4088R doesn't start boosting till around 3000rpm, but it seems to build so fast that it would be very hard to pinpoint .7 bar. Different cams and a smaller a/r housing (.85) would close the gap to something like gt-ss, but it would be too much at the expense of top end for me. Mind you, my boost pipes run from 2.5 inch off the turbo, and then expand into 4 inch before the intercooler (which measures 5.5 inches thick), so that would hurt my response a little.
So far I am very happy with the balance between response and top end. Now I will spend my Christmas ripping her all apart to fix the manifold leak !!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
With that said, I actually worry about the 0.85 AR housing having surge issue.

Would anyone have more info on Turbo/Engine match give us maybe some idea on what would happen if this car were to use a 0.85AR instead of a 0.95?

That is some nice result for a solid 700bhp Turbo!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm even more amazed that the 1.5 bar at 3600rpm was done with this...

I've heard mixed reviews about XS power manifolds, but do not use their gaskets !!!! I put the old one back in, and am still having the same problem. It's all gotta come apart again to find out if the pipe is restricted or if there is a crack somewhere.:confused:
The joys of owning a skyline never end....:)

·
Registered
662 Posts
try checking that the manifold flange isnt distorted from being welded
its amazing how much 12mm thick flangeplate can warp when its welded

lie it on a sheet of glass and go round it with a feelerguage

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya, I think that's the problem....tried the old gasket and got the same result on the same cylinder....Oh joy !!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts