GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Get in touch with Ivan from the GTI-R yahoogroup (or check the GTI-ROC websites message board).

The PAR Engineering (New Zealand based) ones are superb, and they are just bringing out another kit (which isn't 1/2 dog box) and they can also do uprated / strengthened components - if you don't want to replace the whole box.

I believe the prices are pretty good too.

Ah sod it, here's the details cut and pasted from GTI-R....

Please reply to me off list on [email protected] if you are interested. Do not reply on list.

Whilst talking to PAR Engineering, gearset manufacturer who makes 1/2 dog gearsets for fitment in gearboxes for the GTi-R (i was the guinea pig), i would like to find out how many of you will show interest, and possibly end up purchasing, a full synchromesh uprated gearset for the GTi-R. The GTi-R synchro gearset has not been designed yet and the below specs is what PAR (and myself) are looking to incorporate.

* The gearset will have a wider 1st gear than standard (same width as the 1st dog mesh gear: 22mm). It will also have a smaller tooth count and each tooth is thicker.

* 2nd gear will be standard width and use the same new tooth profile technology as PAR currently use on their WRX synchro gearset. Believe me, each tooth is massively thick compared to standard.

* 3rd gear uses the same new tooth profile also, lower number of teeth with each tooth being a lot thicker.

* 4th gear, uses the same new tooth profile also, lower number of teeth with each tooth being a lot thicker.

* 5th gear will be the standard gear, unless you specify if you want an uprated 5th (which will increase cost).

* A reverse idler to suit will also be included.

Prices have not been worked out, but i think it would be cheaper than the 1/2 dog gearset.

If you want to show your interest in this gearset, please send an email to me.

Depending on the level of interest will depend on the success of this project. I hope that this project will be very successfull.

Hope this helps ?

He's posted a MASSIVE amount of info up on the list if you want more ? (although i might be better off emailing it to you direct...as it goes in a bit !)

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys for the info...I wanted a few options other than the ones that are generally around...I am being blonde as I have forgotten the blinkin name of the gearbox I am thinking of..doh!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Quaife ? , becker ? , Nismo ? (shorter geared though - can't pull 60 in second :( ).

The Quaife has been redesigned too i believe.

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
LD

Have a chat with Phil Kavanagh or Si Norris
as they put the Nismo box in there and it is supposed to be the absolute dogs and he had no issues at all.
Unlike the Quaiffe stuff.
Not sure what Martin Bell is doign as well as his one will need some serious internals.
NLW

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
NW - the only problem with the Nismo is that it's shorter geared, so for 1/4's, etc. it's not as good (didn't phil put in a poor time - whilst running 400+ bhp and NOS ?). It might be useful for Lisa though for sprinting.

Not sure what the latest is with Quaife. They have redesigned the kit, and i _believe_ you can alter the gear ratios to suit your requirements.

Mark at Abbey has fitted a few Quaife's i believe, and had no problems with 'em.

Haven't looked into gearboxes too much yet, although it could be on the agenda if the power continues to rise :D

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Sprinting...

that is why I thought it would be better for Tigs due to the short nature of the coruses and the fact that you need to pile up them.
I think you can specify the ratios as well with the Nismo one too to suit your needs.
I think Quaiffe have got their act together. Best ask James Kazim as he has had his for a while now.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Yeah, as i typed it i remembered Tig's car is mainly for sprinting. So the gearing on the Nismo box might actually be suitable - for punching out of corners.

I think it costs a fair whack, but has been proven to take HUGE horsepower and Torque figures (huge in the GTI-R world anyway).

I believe the 'box in James' car has lasted ages now. I know it went in before Bolney, and i haven't heard of anything bad happening. Could be worth looking into.

Cheers,
Daz

PS If it was me, i'd be looking at the PAR stuff instead.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the problem with sprinting is that half the courses are short and twisty....and half have very long sweeping curves..MIRA is one and I think Goodwood will be another...so, i cant have a box that is short geared as I will lose out on the fast, long sweeping bends...but thanks for all the suggestions...it isnt on the way out, but it is going to Hiteq on Saturday....just so it will be nice n sweet for 10 of the best....:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts