GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS IS MY FIRST THREAD ON THIS SITE AND ITS A QUESTION.

I AM SAVING UP FOR AN R34 (9MONTHS) AND DON'T KNOW WHERE THE BEST PLACE IS TO BUY ONE FROM.

I COULD GO TO MIDDLEHURST OR HAVE ONE IMPORTED. WHICH DO YOU THINK IS BEST OPTION, AND WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS IN GETTING AN IMPORT.:)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Trax

Dodgy.

Were you at Trax this year. Only ask as I was talking to a guy with a Calibra Turbo on the stand who wanted a Skyline in the future.

By the way. Just get your £'s together and start thinking more seriously in about 6 months. their is a fair spread of UK and import car owners on here so I suppose it is just down to cost really. UK 33's seem to be now pricing themselves the same as import ones. This will probably happen with the 34's as well but over what amount of time I am not sure. By the time you start to look to buy a reasonable UK one, depending on the age/price, they will probably be nearly out of warranty anyway. The exception to the rule is Middlehurst where the prices can be rather inflated but you do get a warranty. Mind you a lot of garages can supply you with a comprehensive warranty as I have got with mine.

Have fun.

See Ya.

glen.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
R34

Didgy.

Also bear in mind that any modifications carried out on a UK car have to be done at Middlehurst and as far as I know they will only allow a 400bhp ;) conversion to be warranted. Check in advance though.

glen

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
I bought an import recently, but really I wanted a UK car. The only reason I went import in the end is because there simply were no UK Bayside Blue R34's in the country.

No choice pal :(

Cem

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
This might be a stupid question but what are self-leveling lights??:confused:
So, how can non-UK cars with Xenons pass the SVA?

·
Registered
758 Posts
UK or Import

Dodgy,

One other consideration that hasn't been mentioned is the ease
of getting a UK sourced car insured. Mention the word Jap import and watch the buggers run.

Regards
Vincenzo.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Insurance

Re phrase that 501. Mention Skyline and watchem run more like. UK or not. I have yet to hear of a UK Skyline being cheaper to insure than an import.

No doubt someone will prove me wrong though.

glen

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Thanks for all the advise I would prefer a GB 34 v-spec, but cost my well come into it. I'm wanting to not spend much more than £45,000, but I want one with no more than 5000>9000 thousand on the clock, and no more than 400bhp (insurance) to start with.
well i'm saying 45K but that is all up to the bank manager. Also to t6kyo question was I at Trax sadly no, plus the calibra has gone and I'm driving the womans astra gsi. Till I sell it to get the R-34.

So thank again.

DODGY!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Blow Dog said:
I bought an import recently, but really I wanted a UK car. The only reason I went import in the end is because there simply were no UK Bayside Blue R34's in the country.
I was told I bagsy'd the last UK Bayside Blue :p (though that could have been a sales ploy)

Some of it's down to taste, some of it's down to how much you need the extra bits on the UK cars, some of it's down to how much you value a UK warranty.

Personally, I think the leather interior gives a more "luxury car" feeling, and I don't want to lash out over £30K on a car that doesn't have a rock-solid warranty with it. Those engines ain't cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
UK R-34 V Spec (575 bhp) for sale!

Hi all,
I'm just in the process of compiling a spec and photos for a mate's '00 UK Middlehurst-supplied R34 V-Spec. The only reason I'm doing it and not him is he's up to his neck at work and needed a volunteer to help ("take it out and get used to it, fetch it anytime you want...!"). It's been fully and properly maintained (exclusively by Middlehurst) from new, and comes with the following spec:

Colour: Silver with black Connelly leather

Mileage: 14 500

Full Nismo body kit and LM-GT3 wheels

It rides on standard springs - lower springs were taken back off and are held at Middlehurst - 'cos we have a lot of speed ramps in these parts ;-)

Nice reg plate, W8 GTR, included

Approx £4 000 worth of Alpine ICE

Tracker

Serviced every 6 months by Middlehurst (one just done, inlcuding new tyres)

6-pot AP Racing brakes

It was uprated to 400bhp from new, then further to 500+ bhp. Subsequent upgrades (Hyper Muffler, 'new' ECU plus splash boost) have taken the car to approx. 575bhp.

In all, over £80 000 spent on the car. We're looking for £48 000.

Save £6 000 on new...and get nearly £30 000's worth of goodies thrown in for good measure!

A more complete spec and photos will be posted within a day or two on the 'Buy and Sell' section (thanks Joss!).:D

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
DCD said:
This might be a stupid question but what are self-leveling lights??:confused:
So, how can non-UK cars with Xenons pass the SVA?
Dino,

They are essentially lights which measure the rear / front weight distribution through a simple levelling system and tilt the headlights accordingly. The new M3 has this system, watch it when the lights are first fired up and you'll see movement in the lights.

As for Jap cars making it through the SVA, they are simply swapped over for non-xenon's at the test and retro fitted after. A frequently used practice, especially with those importing Evo 7's.

I may be wrong with some/all of this so please correct me if so.

Cheers,

Cem

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
But why should this be peculiar to imports? How many new cars have this sort of elaborate system fitted, hardly any I wouldn't think. But thinking about it, even my Berlingo van :rolleyes: has got adjustable lights so perhaps it's not self levelling lights but lights that you can adjust the level from within the cabin. Do the tungsten lights fitted to the 34 come with a levelling system but xenon's don't?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Still sounds very strange to me! The R34 does have the adjuster for the Xenons so wouldn't this be better than having no adjuster??!!:confused:
All these stupid tests and laws made by people that don't know anything about cars are very confusing...and pointless!!
I find people that use their fog lights more annoying than the odd xenon equipped car with a slightly brighter beam!

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
It wouldn't suprise me if it was some EU directive.

It would protect when you get 5 people in the back and the Xenon's would be blining anyone coming from the opposite direction. HID's are infinitely brighter than conventional lights.

Cem

1 - 20 of 23 Posts