GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alarm on my 2009 car has an annoying habit of going off for no reason in the middle of the night when its parked in the garage. The car also has the Nissan Cobra system fitted.

The dealer hasn't been able to find a fault but it goes off every 2-3 months. Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it ?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
When mine did this (a few times over the last 3 years), it was always after a bit of spirited driving, which convinced me it is caused by something hot, cooling. I reckon it's hot brake disks, and possibly the tranny too, clamped by the parking brake and braced in Park. It cools, and then gives, causing an alarm. Could be wrong, but I've not had a problem since I started not applying the parking brake to its full extent when parked in the garage.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mine goes off every couple of days and it's absolutely driving me nuts. It's always late at night or early in the morning. Have tried closing all the vents but made no difference and went off tonight even though it's not been driven today. It's been to the dealers who could see a fault but they weren't sure what caused it so just cleaned the wires/connectors in the hope that would fix it. It hasnt so I'll be taking it back in again.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Oh god that sounds like a pain in the butt. Hope u get that sorted. That would drive me nuts. No probs with mine and its outside for sometimes 2 weeks without moving.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine does the same every now and again. I was certain it was the vents but now I think it is battery drain or temperature related. Changes to temperature might cause the voltage to fluctuate and therefore cause the problem. I was thinking of changing my battery. It might even be atmospheric pressure, but then I could be talking an absolute load of B*ll*x.

I hope you get somewhere....

Cheers

·
Registered
833 Posts
did they find out what it was , i have the same problem.
No - they had it for a week and it didn't go off and said they couldn't see any record of it going off either which is weird.

They suggested it might be because my drive is on a slope but it still happens even when I turn off the tilt sensors.

Only other thing I can think is it might be my wifi as the router is only a couple of feet from where I park.

Does anyone know what frequency the alarm works on ? 2.45ghz?

I'll try turning it off for a few nights and see but if not then its going back again. Driving me nuts. Just gone off now hence the post.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Working logically, if there hasnt been a false alarm away from your property, it may be wise to look at sources of interference around your house.

I cant find spec details on the GTR's interior sensors, but many use the 2.4ghz spectrum so wifi routers, video senders, dect cordless phones, baby monitors, wireless household alarms (ADT for instance) etc all can interfere. Even microwave ovens can spill out 2.4ghz garbage too.

Another source can be cheap imported wireless security cameras which often are unlicensed in their power output.

The chance of interference should be small but it might be worth unplugging all wireless devices each night and see how you get on.

Depending upon your locale, you may even be getting interference from your neighbours.

Finally, a voltage drop may cause the same falsing, but one would expect that to happen away from your house.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks CC - was hoping you'd stumble across this thread. I'll try turning off my router, park as far from the house as possible and turn off the tilt sensors and see what happens for a week. I'll report back!

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
No probs buddy.

Dont forget other 2.4ghz sources too. I'd keep a little diary of times and days when happens as cheap video senders are a big source of interference too and your falses may coincide with a neighbour watching telly in bed for instance.

Also may be worth logging into your router and changing the wifi channel. Most routers are set to automatically choose a channel, so it may be worth setting yours to channel 1 to begin with, then moving up the channel numbers and see if the alarm falses less.

It can be frustrating wading through these sort of issues, but the key is doing things logically so you can work out the cause.

·
Registered
833 Posts
well my test last night failed miserably - parked a bit (2-3ft) further from the house, turned off my router and DECT phone and at 6am off it went again.

CC - I have been looking for a pattern ever since it started but not managed to find one yet - my only remaining thought to test tonight is my wireless thermostat - it may be that that's causing it when it kicks in to turn the central heating on either at set times or when it drops below a certain temperature which may helo explain the randomness.

If that fails I'm at a loss really.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Its a curious one thats for sure.

Good thinking about the wireless thermostat, we forget just how many devices operate in that 2.4ghz spectrum

·
Registered
833 Posts
I did think of that but it just doesn't add up in that the alarm never goes off anywhere else - when I'm at work for example it's only gone off once in the last 6 months. Unless its an earwig who lives in my house and climbs in my car each night :confused:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Quick update - took the batteries out of the thermostat last night and no alarm - woo hoo. One swallow doesn't make a summer though so I'll try it for the rest of the week and report back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts